Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitten drinking out of pet water bottle

Options
  • 01-07-2008 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any experience with teaching a kitten to drink out of a pet water bottle. ( like the kind rabbits use).
    I have seen both dogs and cats use these bottles and I think it would be a great idea for our kitten. In my house it is really hard to stop her water bowl from being spilled!
    Our kitten is 10 weeks old. All tips or experiences would be grately appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Only thing I can think of is just leave the bottle where the water bowl usually is and keep a close eye on the kitten and see if she cops onto it. Perhaps putting some watered down cat milk in it first. Keep a close eye so the kitten doesn't end up dehydrated. Either that or a heavy ceramic bowl, if there is room in the house you could get a very small table and leave her food and water on it in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

googolplex wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone out there have any experience with teaching a kitten to drink out of a pet water bottle. ( like the kind rabbits use).
    I have seen both dogs and cats use these bottles and I think it would be a great idea for our kitten. In my house it is really hard to stop her water bowl from being spilled!
    Our kitten is 10 weeks old. All tips or experiences would be grately appreciated :)

Kittens would have a hard time working out a water
    bottle.
    Find somewhere that their water won't get knocked over.
    They are just like babies,(ie) you wouldn't expect a
    baby to be able to get it's own formula.
    You don't say where you have the water????
    You don't say where you are keeping the kittens,
    but l just bought a dog bowl for our POM who is
    doing the round's like a hurricane,and it has a
    rubber underneath to prevent spillage, as long as it's
    on something like Vinyl.:)
    Hope This Helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Please do not give your kitten milk as cats are lactose intolerant you can buy lactose free milk or soya milk in most big stores or try whiskas milk.Put down a heavy but small bowl for your kitten in the least used part of the the room to stop it being knocked over. I understand what u are trying to do but it sounds radar silly to me especially since they like to play in their water and milk at that age it's all about learning lesson at that age so use a small and heavy bowl he can't drown in and if your worried about the carpet just put down a rubber mat (bathroom mat) under the bowls or a mat with a black bag under it.

Hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have small metal bowls for when we ever have kittens around because they normally walk into them, falling over and so on. Never have used pet water bottles aside from when we had a little one who had to drink kitten milk because he was taken away from his mother too soon. Even then it was hard because he would just chew off the nipple part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I find that double dishes are harder to knock over.

Or, you could get a water fountain. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 googolplex

I will take allthat on board. I think I will buy a heavier bowl. At the same time I will hang up the water bottle and see if Bibble ( yes, she is called Bibble!) shows any interest in the bottle . At first it could even be like a toy to her. Just a new way of getting her water. I will take it from there.

I agree that cats should not be given milk. Only maybe if they were taken from their mother to early. and then ofcourse only special milk for kittens.
    Our bibble is already past that stage. So no worries there. :)

Advertisement