Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav with Europe

• 02-07-2008 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know where I can get a decent satnav with map of europe in a bricks and mortar?

I bought a Tom Tom One at Christmas, which I thought was great until I tried to download a map. I can only dl country by country. The Europewide is too big for the device and there is no SD slot:mad: Going to France on Mon and was actually looking forward to finally having a use for it. So big Grrrr to TomTom.

So ideally it would not be a TomTom, that said, if there was a good deal I would not cut off my nose to spite my face:o

Cheap with Europe is my main. No mp3 or vid needed (although if there wasn't much difference I would go for it.

Thanks a mill,
    Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There's a cheapo €90 satnav on the pixmania homepage. Looks cheap and cheerful:

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1307637/art/takara/gp26-gps-for-europe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 PBB

Dude, you can use the Desktop utility that came with it to remove any maps on your Tom Tom One (presume you have Uk & Irl maps), it backs them up to your hard drive and then you can dowload European maps and load them up...

I regular swap my European and US maps as I travel in both regions... no bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

PBB wrote: »
    Dude, you can use the Desktop utility that came with it to remove any maps on your Tom Tom One (presume you have Uk & Irl maps), it backs them up to your hard drive and then you can dowload European maps and load them up...

I regular swap my European and US maps as I travel in both regions... no bother...

Thanks for that PBB, but it is indeed the Uk & Irl and that only has 512mb of memory. (The European version has 1gb and an SD card slot.) The European map that you download is 866mb and according to TomTom support i cannot buy the bundle and upload country by country as i need them. :(

Also according to them "It is up to the customer to ensure that they are buying the correct product". Needless to say they got a nice reply from me back to that:mad:

And thanks Sdonn, but i've left it too late to get it from the internet. I also want to wait out til Fri to see if TomTom do the right thing and buy at the last second when they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

The Sony NV-U92 has UK Ireland and all Europe on it.
    Sony have now brought out a new model which is virtually identical but new model number so this one was reduced in the Sony shop in Jervis St.

I've got one and used it driving to Italy and found it spot on. Can't remember the price I saw it at but It was 299 when it was new so expect to pay about 200 euros for it now that it's the old model !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Orders from pixmania are delivered next day if you confirm before 10am ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement