Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Opportunities in Forensic Accounting (Big 4 or other)

• 02-07-2008 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Anyone know what the career opportunities are like in Forensic Accounting in Ireland, particularly from someone in the field? Preferably from the Big4 or do you know of any medium size firm that has a decent sized forensic dept?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I did a bit of research on this before and found there's not too many forensic accountants out there however all the big 4 have a dept. You probably know this already but forensic accounting is not the same as forensic science, I noticed from your previous post that you were doing sciene in college. The word forensic means that you can give evidence in court so you would have to be a qualified accountant or training to be one. They work in areas such as insurance fraud, matrimonial disputes and general fraud. Bear in mind that the work is not as glamorous as it sounds and the subject matter that you deal with on a day to day basis can me quite monotonous.

Forensic accounting is burgeoning area of accountancy that all big 4 practices would have a dept on and some of the medium to large ones aswell. You can make a nice litle niche for yourself if your good at it. IMO I think forensic accounting will come to the fore in the next 10yrs when we see more marital break ups and matrimonial disputes which would require the service of a forensic accountsants.

Grant thornton also have forensic dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

cheers. Yeah, I know the difference, Ive moved over to the business world, so applying for accounting jobs in the autumn. I figured opportunities would be scarce on the ground in Ireland, which is why Im giving very serious consideration to applying for jobs here in the UK, where I think PWC have one of the largest forensic depts, which you can apply directly to when you first start, so the 3 year training programme is taken half in Forensic and the other half in general Assurance I believe.
    Anyways, wanted to see what was out there, but it seems to be a growing area here in the UK, and will be in few years time in Ireland, but not quite now it appears..

Advertisement