Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House purchase advise

Options
  • 02-07-2008 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi - I was wondering if anyone could offer advise, we have paid a deposit (sizeable amount @ 10% of cost) last year for a house being built. Since then house prices have tumbled - is there any way we can get the developer to drop the cost? I suspect we cannot pull out without losing the deposit, so the developer knows they have us over a barrel. the valuer says they will likely value the house the same as last October - is there any action they can take (or the mortgage provider) to get this price reduced? any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

pazza wrote: »
    Hi - I was wondering if anyone could offer advise, we have paid a deposit (sizeable amount @ 10% of cost) last year for a house being built. Since then house prices have tumbled - is there any way we can get the developer to drop the cost? I suspect we cannot pull out without losing the deposit, so the developer knows they have us over a barrel. the valuer says they will likely value the house the same as last October - is there any action they can take (or the mortgage provider) to get this price reduced? any help appreciated.

Dont think so as you agreed to an amount and not a percentage i assume ? i.e. it was stated at the time the amount and not a percentage as this would change on a daily basis. I.E. if its went up in value the builder wouldn't/couldn't ask you for more as you agreed to an initial amount.

Works both ways im afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pazza

yea, thats what i thought - my only issue is that it was valued in October, and the valuer will value it as the same again now even though the price has surely dropped and too see if there was any way out of it or to force builder down a bit. Thanks anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can probably still pull out of the sale and get your full deposit back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

you should be able to get your deposit back and walk away from the sale.

I assume that you have a solicitor for the purchase so he/she should be able to advise. you are paying them a lot of money so you may as well get them to do some work for it :)

I'm in the process of buying at the moment and i made sure that my deposit was refundable in full before paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Moonbeam wrote: »

Only if the OP just paid a booking deposit and not a contract. If you paid the 10% on signing of contracts then thats a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Moonbeam wrote: »

Please don't post such misleading advise. If the contract deposit has been paid (and by the sounds of it, it has) then there is no way out of the contract without losing the deposit. At best the OP would lose their deposit, at worst the builder would force the completion of the sale (which he has every right to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    you should be able to get your deposit back and walk away from the sale.

I assume that you have a solicitor for the purchase so he/she should be able to advise. you are paying them a lot of money so you may as well get them to do some work for it :)

I'm in the process of buying at the moment and i made sure that my deposit was refundable in full before paying it.

So you managed to get a clause in your contract that says the contract deposit is refundable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

penexpers wrote: »
    So you managed to get a clause in your contract that says the contract deposit is refundable?

What would be the point in paying a deposit if you could just pull out at any point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

In most cases you pay a booking deposit first - this is fully refundable and is a sign of goodwill. Normally this is about 10k.

You then recieve contracts and unless there is a get out clause subject to mortgage aproval / planning issues etc, then once this is signed & the balance depsoit is paid, you are in a legally binding contract.

If this is the case, best option is to talk to the builder and say that the banks are only giving you €x mortgage which is €x below what you can pay in total. - The builder wants your cash and probably has a decent enough margin and may drop the price to ensure the deal is closed.

I'd guess about extra 5 - 8% discount would be possible.

Be nice, beg, and explain you can't get mortgage approval for original amount.

Advertisement