Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gta 4 is such a let down.

• 02-07-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

i have to say this has to be the most over ratted/over hyped game of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

only if you bought into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I wasn't expecting it to be much more than it is and I wasn't let down. :)

It's an enjoyable romp but not much different to the previous games. To be honest, they will have to pull something special out of the bag to make me buy GTA V.

...I must post on the likes/dislikes thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

which aspects of the game are you not happy with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

When somebody is really letdown by a game they elaborate on there dislikes. Maybe you should do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

seandugg wrote: »
    which aspects of the game are you not happy with?

The realism of the bikes is all wrong, they don't accelerate fast enough from a standing start, the NRG900 doesn't have anything like a decent top speed. They claimed a new improved Physics engine and it is certainly noticeable in the cars which are much more difficult to drive and thus more entertaining. But the bikes have been totally castrated.

I liked the character development bits of San Andreas (making the character fitter, fatter, more skilled by doing driving or shooting tests, whatever) and the huge huge map. I miss the planes too! Hopefully there's a GTA San Andreas II planned retaining that gameplay.

The most telling complaint I guess is that I played San Andreas for over a year trying to find new things to do or just having fun causing mayhem but I've already been distracted from playing GTA IV and I haven't even completed all the story missions yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It took a while for me to get into it too and like you I find myself not returning to it as often as I did to SA but I do like the game a lot.

My biggest gripe is the lack of parachutes, especially with so many tall buildings to jump off and the graphics and physics engine to make this all the more realistic. Realy hoping that parachutes are included in the DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

The realism of the bikes is all wrong, they don't accelerate fast enough from a standing start, the NRG900 doesn't have anything like a decent top speed. They claimed a new improved Physics engine and it is certainly noticeable in the cars which are much more difficult to drive and thus more entertaining. But the bikes have been totally castrated.
    Well lets face it. GTA isn't about realism. I think the physics are a lot cooler than before. Burnouts and handbrake turns are a lot more fun to do now. But I agree with you about the bikes. I have no idea why they did what they did. They just seem a lot.......heavier.......for want of a better word.
    I liked the character development bits of San Andreas (making the character fitter, fatter, more skilled by doing driving or shooting tests, whatever) and the huge huge map. I miss the planes too! Hopefully there's a GTA San Andreas II planned retaining that gameplay.
    I explained my thoughts on the customisation in the other thread so I won't go there. Also the map is only slightly smaller than SA.

But yeah I miss planes too. They were taken out basically because it's all set in one city, and you shouldn't need a plane. But having said that, GTA has always been about doing stuff you shouldn't. And if that means stealing a plane to cruise around in, then so be it. Planes were great in SA for getting around quickly, but the taxi's compensate for this in a big way.

nealmac wrote: »
    Well lets face it. GTA isn't about realism. I think the physics are a lot cooler than before.

You're right there it's not about realism, but unless you want a totally nutty game the Physics needs to be as real as possible. If the bullets or the Gravity weren't realistic the game would be unplayable for example. I think they've improved that element for the cars but somehow managed to balls up the bikes.

That said, maybe I'm missing a trick. If anyone can accelerate mind numbingly fast on the bikes (like you can on a real bike) and hit a good top speed on the NRG900 give me some tips.

Looks to me like the NRG900 is based on the Honda Blackbird. I've had a spin on one of them, it's a lot like throwing your leg over a fighter plane. The acceleration is, eh... terrifying is the word that comes to mind. And so much fun! :D

i can see your point on the bikes and character development but these are such a small part of the game i dont think it is worthy to call it the most overrated game ever based on this.

It may not be the 10/10 5 star game it was hyped up to be but it is not very far off that mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I don't think i managed to finish GTA3 or GTA SA (in SA, i just got cheesed off with flight school and put it to one side) but I have finished GTA4. Yeah - i'm gonna have to kinda do that wavey-handy thing on it.

It's good. It's very good. The graphics are straight out of the top drawer - it's like playing a 'cut scene' all the time in PS2 terms.

I think the problem is a fewfold

I'm finished now and all that's left is stuff thats just too darned tedious. Street racing and killing pigeons. I mean - in the case of the latter, with 200 of the feckers, it's too much like hard work. Perhaps if they'd incorporated some class of 'reward' for every 15 or so that you killed so there was an incentive to just have a look for another few. I know there's the map in www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com but the hassle of having to go to a web cafe to look it up, ID where you should be going(ish) nail a few of 'em and then come back to rinse and repeat...nah...screw that.

You can't 'get' money in the same way that you could before, and you can't spend it. I liked the VC/SA model of buying safehouses and the SA idea of 'levelling up' or whatever the hell it was called wasn't a bad idea. I mean, you don't want to go too far into Final Fantasy territory...or y'know, you'd be ringing Carmen and asking her to cast a Curaga spell or whatever, but in small doses it was nice.

In other words, the earlier games had a sort of vibe that when you'd finished the stories there were multiple bits'n'pieces you could do advance matters and your 100%. There just doesn't seem to be as much. I guess there's the fancy assed jumps too, but secretly, i think i just hanker for ambulance/taxi driving missions. Oh and selling drugs out of an ice cream van...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I have to say so far the story of GTA IV hasn't lived up to the one in San Andreas. I've replayed San Andreas so many times but can't really see much replay value in GTA IV.

Has rockstar gone soft, scared of further law suits? edging towards PC rather then off the wall?

You gotta admit there were some classic missions in San Andreas.

OK GTA IV feels more alive but I liked to be to go cruising in the country side or to fly a fighter jet or spitfire.

seandugg wrote: »
    i can see your point on the bikes and character development but these are such a small part of the game i dont think it is worthy to call it the most overrated game ever based on this.

It may not be the 10/10 5 star game it was hyped up to be but it is not very far off that mark.

In my defense I never did call it the most overrated game ever. Someone asked what was wrong with it and I gave my opinion.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have had this out with Amp who is a GTA freak to be fair.... I like the game but its just "fine". Its not the driving sim Forza is, or as interesting as Paradise city. Its not as good a shooter as several FPSs.... its not as roleplayie as Mass Effect. Its not the best sandbox/openworld as others are. Its...... I dunno what it is.

Its scope is greater then all of these but somehow it has lost its way. Its barely about stealing cars any more.

It IS an awesome technical achievement with a breadth of scope that is astounding but as a friend of mine said to me "its like a lighthouse in a toilet, technically an amazing feat but ultimately... meh!"

I like it, I will play it but I'm not sure what it is and I'm not sure it knows either.... Its turning into Sims with guns almost...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

You know, I think you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

DeVore wrote: »
    Its turning into Sims with guns almost...

DeV.

And of course EA, who publish The Sims wanting to buy out Rockstar/Take Two...Hmm....*strokes beard*...Dev...something you want to share with the rest of the class..

In my defense I never did call it the most overrated game ever. Someone asked what was wrong with it and I gave my opinion.
    I never said you did. That was in reference to the opening post

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have nothing to declare but my genius. And that I may have imbibed alcohol.

DeV.

:D Haha! Well, atleast we've something to look forward to; GTA: Sims. :rolleyes:

"There goes the neighbourhood!!"

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

DeVore wrote: »
    Its turning into Sims with guns almost...

See, I felt that way about GTA:SA, but don't feel like that about IV, I think IV ditched the stuff that annoyed me about SA, like needing to eat/go to the gym etc... because if you didn't, your character could hardly run out of his own way...

• Advertisement

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    I have to say so far the story of GTA IV hasn't lived up to the one in San Andreas.
    You've got to be kidding? The story was miles better and far more interesting thatn any other GTA game. For some reason, I felt like I was really involved in the story, and I was developing a relationship with the characters. Everyone in it seemed so genuine. The story was also told from a very interesting perspective.

As for SA, that was probably the worst GTA story ever. That whole "gangsta" bullshit pissed me off no end. The story wasn't even believeable and I didn't really give a shit about the characters either. They could live or die for all I cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lee1234

I think GTA 4 is fantastic it has retained the great characters and stories and superb satire on western culture, and its dumped the silly stuff from san andreas like protecting gang territories and imporving your body. It doesnt have anything very original but to be fair can any game be original that has 4 in the title.

One major gripe however. howcome the camera angle is so low when driving. I hate the way you have to raise the camera all the time when your driving. otherwise its ****ing ice-cold man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

lee1234 wrote: »
    I think GTA 4 is fantastic it has retained the great characters and stories and superb satire on western culture, and its dumped the silly stuff from san andreas like protecting gang territories and imporving your body. It doesnt have anything very original but to be fair can any game be original that has 4 in the title.

One major gripe however. howcome the camera angle is so low when driving. I hate the way you have to raise the camera all the time when your driving. otherwise its ****ing ice-cold man.

camera doesn't seem low to me but it's always off-center when driving... which annoys me to no end

camera doesn't seem low to me

Really? What format are you playing it on? On the PS3 when driving, the camera can be an absolute pig at times! The angle doesn't change even if you are coming to the crest of a hill. The result is that you can't see what's in the road ahead.

That means that you can fly up the hill and all of a sudden you crash straight into the back of a car at full speed or fly out through the windscreen because you've hit a wall. :mad:

As a result I constantly have to adjust the camera angle using the analogue stick and that's annoying. I seem to recall that this wasn't an issue in other GTA games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Really? What format are you playing it on? On the PS3 when driving, the camera can be an absolute pig at times! The angle doesn't change even if you are coming to the crest of a hill. The result is that you can't see what's in the road ahead.

That means that you can fly up the hill and all of a sudden you crash straight into the back of a car at full speed or fly out through the windscreen because you've hit a wall. :mad:

As a result I constantly have to adjust the camera angle using the analogue stick and that's annoying. I seem to recall that this wasn't an issue in other GTA games.

i'm on ps3. it could be that i've got a 40" tv to take everything in with... or maybe it's just that in real life i'm a midget and am used to such obstacles.

i'm on ps3. it could be that i've got a 40" tv to take everything in with... or maybe it's just that in real life i'm a midget and am used to such obstacles.

Well I'm only 5'7" myself so I'm no giant :pac: but I only have a 32" TV (using HDMI) so that could maybe account for it but even so, I'm not so sure screen size is the issue, I'm convinced it's the angle. In fact on the "Likes vs. dislikes" thread, a lot of people have said the same thing about the camera angle. I wonder what size TV they are using?

The camera is a LOT lower than other GTA titles. It's also slightly off centre. I had a major gripe with it at first but I got used to it fairly quickly.

As for anything original, the in-game mobile phone is a big addition. It plays a massive role in the game and also adds to the realism in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

This is the best game I've played since Half Life 2 and the only game since HL2 that I want to play through to completion. It's pretty much the only game I'm playing right now (I don't get much time to play games these days like I used to as in the Q2 days of yore), but I think it's fantastic.

The nights I do get to play it, it's on from around 8pm till I can't keep my eyes open any more 2-3am (looking forward to this weekend when I can take it up again). I'm only 50% of the way through and it's still definitely holding my interest and will play it to completion. Whether or not I come back to it after that... probably not.

I have a few other titles on my PS3 (MGS4, Lego Indiana Jones) that I play when I want a break from GTA. No doubt, I'll also play through these games to completion once GTA has been but back in it's box and laid to rest on the gaming shelf of the dead.

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

on line gta is a big pile of stinky baby loadey. offline its sweet a s a nut

• Advertisement

has anybody unlocked BIG GAY TONY yet,

No... who the **** is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Tony is a rather large fellow who enjoys a bit of man loving.

yup a big fat gay guy by the name of tony

Wasn't there a guy you worked for in GTA 1 called El Burro - a mexican? He invited you to spend some time with him :pac:

Anyway, how do we unlock this Tony guy?

/I ask this having not yet completed unlocked any islands in the game :rolleyes:

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Wasn't there a guy you worked for in GTA 1 called El Burro - a mexican? He invited you to spend some time with him :pac:
    Indubitubly. Yes, pray tell how we unlock this fat queer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

I wasn't let down. I find that most people who get let down by games rush to finish them (as AC shows). I don't get to play my ps3 much so I get to enjoy games at a steady pace, plus I love the online :D

Nailz wrote: »
    Indubitubly. Yes, pray tell how we unlock this fat queer?
    have you got the gay version of gta its called grand tiff oh, my fantastic gay city. mate if you havnt sussed it out allready theres no big gay tony i was pullin your plumb if you,ll excuse the pun.lmao

i really sould have let fat gay tony run for a while longer. r.i.p fat gay tony.

almanu wrote: »
    have you got the gay version of gta its called grand tiff oh, my fantastic gay city. mate if you havnt sussed it out allready theres no big gay tony i was pullin your plumb if you,ll excuse the pun.lmao
    I'll excuse any pun... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Tis a great game and I'm enjoying taking my time and getting through it. The only thing I find sometimes being a chore is taking friends out. Sometimes they ring at terrible times and you can't go and get the thumbs down. Nothing worse than calling them up then to do something and they can't make it and they still give you the thumbs down.

I'm not bothered by the camera angle when driving. I always use the analogue stick when driving anyway to glance around so it's second nature for me now to raise the view to see over a hill. I'm loving the driving in this version. Even the motorbikes once you get used to them are great fun if a tad lethal. Amount of friends I've busted up trying to get to dinner on a bike is unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

dynastygal wrote: »
    I wasn't let down. I find that most people who get let down by games rush to finish them (as AC shows). I don't get to play my ps3 much so I get to enjoy games at a steady pace, plus I love the online :D

i was really let down by it and i didn't rush to finish it tbh i couldn't even bring myself to finish the game its just so boring. the missions don't vary much in the game its all just drive here kill this bunch of people then drive there kill that bunch of people and when you have done that drive back and drop somebody home. no the gta series died with san andreas for me. vice city still remaines the best one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

the missions don't vary much in the game ithe gta series died with san andreas for me. vice city still remaines the best one yet.

I loved Vice City too but let's be realistic here - the missions in that game were same format as this one ie
    drive here kill this this bunch of people then drive there kill that bunch of people and when you have done that drive back and drop somebodty home.

That's GTA for you! What were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

silvine wrote: »
    I loved Vice City too but let's be realistic here - the missions in that game were same format as this one ie

That's GTA for you! What were you expecting?

i know what your saying maybe i was expecting too much from it. don't get me wrong i'm not saying its S*** just that it can get quite boring doing the same thing all the time. thats why i ended up droping the sp part of the game all together because when you have killed one bunch of people you have killed them all. now when ever i do play it its for the mp(but even with that there seems to be more a** H***s on this game than any other online game). i will eventually finish it i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The best GTA in terms of innovation is still GTA3.
    VC improved on the character aspect of the game with Tommy Vercetti but that and throwing in bikes and helis was its only progression.
    SA was a load of ****, bloated with too many stupid ideas (eating, gymming) a map that was too big and too boring, and the worst story in a GTA game, which seemed like it was made so as to appeal to white teenage boys who listen to eminem and think theyre from south central LA.
    GTA4 suffers int hat people were expecting it to be the revolution GTA3 was. Anyone who bought into the hype was bound to be disappointed. GTA4 is the best game since 3, as it has the best graphics, storyline, and city of the series. But its still not as revolutionary as GTA3 was.

I don't understand peoples problem with San Andreas, it was a step forward IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

The missions were all too easy. Graphically it's fantastic but it's not as much fun or as challenging as SA.

Plus there are no flying car cheats :D

I taught that flying car cheat was shìt, it was impossible to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

Yeah i agree, i can see how people feel it is a let down. I think i agree aswell, as i was expecting something even more evolutionary, such as the transformation that happened from GTA2 to GTA3.
    They left out most of the fun aspects that were in San An such as the jet-pack, parachutes etc having said that it is still a fantastic game well worth the 60quid unlike some of the other games out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

its all been a bit downhill in terms of playability since the first game imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

it was a bit of a letdown, i stopped playing SP after about 3 weeks, just got bored, the MP nerver works properly, constantly get kicked from games etc, there is nothing to do in the city apart from the missions and ****e minigames - it just stopped being fun for me after a certain time. went back to good ol halo and cod4 etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement