Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMARTVISION

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

I have no broadband options other than this when i move into my new place,

Some people have mentioned to me that though SMART say that 3mb is the max they supply over Smartvision, if you dont want TV with them its possible to get higher speeds.

Anyone have experience with this?

It's really annoying me that I have to go from 15mb back to 3mb,

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Best to ask in the Smartvision section here

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

The admins can give better details.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've Smart Vision, yes it is very annoying to be limited to just 4m, specially when I was getting 12m on it for the first 6 months and the speed only dropped when they enforced username and passwords.

Also the TV service is rubbish.

BTW the TV service doesn't actually effect the BB speed, as the BB speeds are artificially limited.

The good news is that supposedly at some stage (been waiting over a year now) Smart are rolling out a new service to the Smart Vision customers that will allow them to also get the 15mb BB and a better TV service.

Since your a new customer, perhaps they will give you this new service if you ask nicely on the phone and look for the 15mb product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

bk wrote: »
    I've Smart Vision, yes it is very annoying to be limited to just 4m, specially when I was getting 12m on it for the first 6 months and the speed only dropped when they enforced username and passwords.

Also the TV service is rubbish.

BTW the TV service doesn't actually effect the BB speed, as the BB speeds are artificially limited.

The good news is that supposedly at some stage (been waiting over a year now) Smart are rolling out a new service to the Smart Vision customers that will allow them to also get the 15mb BB and a better TV service.

Since your a new customer, perhaps they will give you this new service if you ask nicely on the phone and look for the 15mb product.

Thanks Spear i have posted on those internal forums now.

Wow so you have been waiting over a year already?

I guess i wont get my hopes up then.

I have heard from a lot of people that the TV service is awful so I think I will just get a dish, I know they arent allowed but half the complex seem to have them on balconies so i guess i will follow suit.

bk, i didnt get an option for 4mb, only 3? Or do the lines sync at 4mb anyway?

And i asked on the phone about a better broadband package and the girl said she didnt know anything about upgrades, before saying, "Maybe in August or something" Which isnt very helpful at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

WellyJ wrote: »

bk, i didnt get an option for 4mb, only 3? Or do the lines sync at 4mb anyway?

And i asked on the phone about a better broadband package and the girl said she didnt know anything about upgrades, before saying, "Maybe in August or something" Which isnt very helpful at all.

My line actually syncs at 12m/1m, it is the username and password (profile) that limits it to 4mb/400k, in my case at least.

Smart have been talking about the new service since before last November. They did start trialling it with some of their DSL customer about 3 months ago and they revealed some pricing and channel lineup for the new service on their forum a few weeks ago, but they have been very quiet since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

QoS reserves much of your ADSL connection for the IPTV stream, leaves you with 3 meg i believe.

Turning off QoS wouuld just make the IPTV stream not work properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

craichoe wrote: »
    QoS reserves much of your ADSL connection for the IPTV stream, leaves you with 3 meg i believe.

I dont want IPTV though, thats the point

craichoe wrote: »

Doesn't work that way, if you get the TV, it uses about 4mb. On my line, before they change the password, I'd get 12mb with the TV turned off and about 8mb withthe TV turned on.

The 3-4mb limit is purely artificially applied by Smart.

Advertisement