Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding with UPC?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I recently got setup with UPC BB. Just wondering how I now go about configuring the router? I asked the UPC technicians for access details to the dsl modem they installed and they said I'm now allowed this information. I was only given access details for the wireless router which is the next hop after the dsl modem.

So how do I forward ports now? I need a few ports open for remote connecting into my home pc from work. Does the UPC DSL modem just act like a DMZ and forward all ports?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

damn... gotta stop having multiple boards.ie tabs open at the same time. Can somebody move this to the broadband forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

L31mr0d wrote: »
    they said I'm now allowed this information.

I presume that's a typo?

I might be interested in the answer myself to this down the line.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The ports need to be forwarded in the wireless router, not the cable modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What he said ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does this mean its possible to remotely access my computer from anywhere whilst on UPC . Both UPC and a network tech I know told me it was not possible. Any threads dealing with this?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

You can access it from anywhere.

If you use windows RDC you will need to change your IP address settings every now and then when they change.

If you use Logmein (its free) you don't need to worry about firewalls or your IP address changing.

I use both and they work great. :)

Tony wrote: »
    Both UPC and a network tech I know told me it was not possible.
    :D

Don't take this as gospel but I'm near certain logmein is virus-tastic. I could be wrong but someone installed it or similar in work and it took me a looooong time to fix. It may have been another product mind.

Tony, I'd say they meant you're not supposed to, not that you can't. I know one guy who does log into his PC remotely.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Don't take this as gospel but I'm near certain logmein is virus-tastic.

Logemin is virus free.

Thanks guys i'll check it out

Ok well I sorted this out by (like was said above) having to use the bundled wireless router. I have a gigabit router that I use for my LAN and previously I just plugged my DSL modem into that. Assuming the "Scientific Atlanta" modem was similar I plugged it directly into my gigabit router. I was able to access the internet but when I logged into the Scientific Atlanta web interface the only information provided was status info and no options where given to open any ports.

I guess the Scientific Atlanta modem just acts as a dmz and passes all ports to the next router, as my gigabit router doesn't have a web interface i'm forced to use the wireless one which justs adds more clutter around the TV.

• Advertisement

Just did a logon to my home PC and took a screenshot of the UPC modem access screen. If you enter the IP address in to your internet explorer it should pop up a dialog ascking you for your username and password

Enter root for both. You won't/can't change any settings here for remote access. That will be done in your OS and/or your router/firewall.

th_untitled-1.jpg

Ok well I sorted this out by (like was said above) having to use the bundled wireless router. I have a gigabit router that I use for my LAN and previously I just plugged my DSL modem into that. Assuming the "Scientific Atlanta" modem was similar I plugged it directly into my gigabit router. I was able to access the internet but when I logged into the Scientific Atlanta web interface the only information provided was status info and no options where given to open any ports.

I guess the Scientific Atlanta modem just acts as a dmz and passes all ports to the next router, as my gigabit router doesn't have a web interface i'm forced to use the wireless one which justs adds more clutter around the TV.

This may help you

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Scientific-Atlanta/WebSTAR-DPR2320/WebSTAR-DPR2320index.htm

AntiVirus wrote: »

UPC has disabled all those settings on my modem. The only one that is still active is the "System" option which allows you to see the status of your connection.

Log me in works great thanks guys. I've no excuse now for not working whilst on holidays :)

UPC has disabled all those settings on my modem. The only one that is still active is the "System" option which allows you to see the status of your connection.

The UPC modem is irrelevant. It's you router that needs the settings changed. The UPC modem is a ethernet to Docsis bridge. there is no logic to it.

It may be because you are not logging into the modem as an administrator?

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It may be because you are not logging into the modem as an administrator?

You can't log into much on the newer (Scientific Atlanta) ones, it is locked down. Either way, the modem is nothing to do with port forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

im in a similar situation, however I can't log into my router as I think its been assigned a new IP by the UPC modem? is there a default IP range that it assigns?

Advertisement