Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we expect from Spurs this coming season?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

This time last year after Jol achieving 5th place for the second year in a row, the hype had it that Spurs would over take ar5ena1 and get into the Champions League.

Jol himself wasn't exactly buying into that. He was saying top 6, that we weren't at the top four level yet but that we would be in two years. Well that wasn't taken too kindly by the board a Spurs and the rug was pulled from underneath Jol's feet after the first game of the season.

Now that we have Ramos and a few very good signings like Woodgate, Hutton, Gomes, Modric, and Giovani De Santos, players that Jol would looved to have started out with, surely we must expect that Spurs will achieve top 6 at a minimum.

If Ramos is the real deal then we should be winning league games against the top 4. We've done it in the League cup against ar5ena1 and chelski, but the defeat at home to Liverpool at the end of last season showed that the very soft side to Spurs still existed.

I'm afraid to believe in a top 4 spot, but a UEFA Cup win is a must.

Come on You Spurs!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I am going to say that I will be reasonably happy with a Top 8 finish. Lets not forget that we are buying alot of new talent that is going to take alot of time to gel.

Modric and Dos Santos are going to take time to get used to Britball. I am assuming they will not be the last signings we make with Bently looking like a good possibility. You cannot under rate other teams aswell.

West Ham have an OK squad who will be back from injuries and the new signings they made last year will be comfortable there.

Man City, same again. They took needed last season to gel showing glimpses of quality but overall inconsistent and with hughes finally having soom good players to manage I can see them being difficult to beat.

Portsmouth have lived just under the Top4 for a while now and I can't see them being easily moved. Lets not be fooled by their poor ending to last season as it is the reverse of our own. With Diarra confirming he will be there next season and Harry at the helm they will pick up the easy points consistently.

Everton, I would be happy to finish ahead of Everton. Outstanding manager who should have a GREAT season next year no matter what players he has in the team.

Aston Villa, MON has resisted temption to spend the big bucks he has available to put together a mentally strong and HUMBLE team and I think in a year or two they will break the big 4. MON is a top manager and seems to have a 4 year plan which is going better than expected.

It would be smug to assume we could breeze by these teams when we are still in transition never mind breaking the big 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

It all depends on the next few weeks and the striker situation. Berbatov is probably gone, we might cash in on Bent if the Sunderland story is true and god forbid Robbie leaves we are in the crapper.

I'm never too optimistic at the start of each season but last year I was and that fell apart in the first few months. This time I think Ramos can finally put his mark on the side and with another signing or 2 I would be slightly optimistic!! about a top 4 finish.

Manu and Chelsea are gonna be top 2 again but there are still some problems at Liverpool and a*****l so I think we might be able to take over one of them.

Still think we need another top class centre half as King is not going to be able for a full season and Dawson had a dodgy season last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Don't agree with seanson's recap of the last season but that's for another day.

We must be be consistent top 6 material, hit the ground running and keep an eye on the top 4 but finishing in the top 6 will do me for our first full season under Ramos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Don't agree with seanson's recap of the last season but that's for another day.

We must be be consistent top 6 material, hit the ground running and keep an eye on the top 4 but finishing in the top 6 will do me for our first full season under Ramos.

top 6 and another cup would do me thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

We have a fairly easy:rolleyes: first few fixtures...on paper anyway.

if we get off to a good start, the confidence and momentum could drive us into the top 4.

Love to get the FA cup and UEFA Cup as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

This is important that we do this. It killed us last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

I wouldn't be too confident about getting a top 4 place its not realistic. I think its very important we match the likes of everton, portsmouth, man city and villa becuse i am sure they will all improve again. It would be great to finish 5th again or 6th and then kick on from that in 09/10. My main hope for the season is that we stop conceeding so many stupid goals. If we tighten up a bit at the back I think 5th or 6th is very realistic. As far as the cup competitions go, I,m confident about the uefa cup this year. I know there will be some very good teams in it but by the time the serious end of the cup comes around in february, hopefully our lads will have settled in well and with ramos's experience we would have a very good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

uefa final could be a runner this year alright,that and a top 6 finish will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Would love to win the uefa cup and also finish 5th in the league again.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Just in case Spurs do in 2008-09 what I expect them to do every year, I have again backed them to win the Premiership (e/w @66/1), FA Cup (@25/1), Carling Cup (@12/1) and UEFA Cup (@16/1). Good odds I think!
    (BTW, I collected @10/1 last year on Carling Cup win).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanson

ruiseal wrote: »
    Just in case Spurs do in 2008-09 what I expect them to do every year, I have again backed them to win the Premiership (e/w @66/1), FA Cup (@25/1), Carling Cup (@12/1) and UEFA Cup (@16/1). Good odds I think!
    (BTW, I collected @10/1 last year on Carling Cup win).

UEFA Cup @16/1, I would think that these must be the best odds.

This will be our third attempt in a row. 1st year we should have beaten Sevilla - that very dubious penalty, and Steeds crazy positioning. 2nd year we were day dreaming our way through the first PVS game, parading the League Cup didn't help with the focus. We are as good as any team in the UEFA and should win this year never mind 1 in 16 attempts.

Now where did I leave the last of my confirmation money????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Getting away from league positions and trophies for a min.

One massive weakness we've had over the past couple of seasons is our away form. Last season I think we only won at Pompey, Derby and Reading, 3 wins from 19 is a diabolical stat for a big club.

If we sort that out we will easily be top 5/6 and have a good crack at a cup (or two).

Big if though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

One massive weakness we've had over the past couple of seasons is our away form. Last season I think we only won at Pompey, Derby and Reading, 3 wins from 19 is a diabolical stat for a big club.

If we sort that out we will easily be top 5/6 and have a good crack at a cup (or two).

Big if though.

I guess rather than state where we need to do better I will just state what I think is realistically obtainable. And what I would expect from a new team of players, a lot of whom will be playing together for the first time.

Top 6 (hope for 4th obviously)
    EUFA Cup (would love FA also)

COYS

Big if though.

For all the talk about needing to improve in different areas of the pitch, to be a top four side Spurs do need to start winning away from home. I'm not sure that we have a leader on the pitch that is capable of pushing the rest forward to win away. Too many time it has been 30 minutes of fancy domination from Spurs followed by bit of determination from a theoretically lesser team ending with Spurs losing points. Ramos needs to push them hard to win away. Starting with Boro. We need for once to start a season well.

Come on you Spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

To win the uefa cup would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

We should be aiming for the top four. To some that may seem un realistic, however we will have the players, we have the coach, we have the support, i believe the finance and historically the fans expect.

I'll settle for 4th and a cup, with a view to improving again the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The thing is, on paper at least, I reckon we have a better squad than most of the teams around us competing for the same prize - Liverpool and Arsenal's place in the league.

Ramos has the resources, a chairman who is backing him, all the preparation time he needs, over half a season already with the team - there are no excuses for not hitting the ground running. Assuming we don't start the season with a weaker team (which constitutes losing either of Keane/Berbatov) there are no excuses.

I believe that Ramos has what it takes, though I'm hoping he can give players like Jenas the kicking he needs to perform consistently.

As for what I expect the team to do this season? UEFA cup win would be my favourite. Inside the top 8 and that would keep me happy. Realistically I'm hoping we can push for 5th right from the start, keep close enough to 4th to take the place of anyone making hard work of it, and mainly be consistent. As mentioned we have to start winning away, and putting away teams that are inferior on the pitch but battle hard. Jol seemed to do well with this in his 2nd season, let's hope Ramos can make the team harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

not sure about top 4 but I reckon top 5 is achievable. We need an experienced centre back as cover/replacement for King and a top class replacement for Berbatov.

Uefa Cup, FA Cup and Carling Cup would do nicely too.:D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I expect them to:

Take a slap of the ball in the goolies or the face rather than turning their arses towards the ball like too many of the Spurs players have a habit of doing. Woodgate has lead the way well with charging down the ball instead of the pansy attempts of some of the other players.

Play to win, until the 95th minute if need be. Sunderland showed the way with their late goals which saved them last season. Spurs need to keep at it until the final whistle to get the most out of each game.

Play away from home with the same determination as we do at home. Man united do not go on the road to draw or lose. Spurs need to win away matches.

Take our game to the top four. We played ar5ena1 off the pitch last season. Didn't always win. The first leg match in the league cup should have been 0-4 to Spurs. The Anfield match should have been won, a braver more commanding goalkeeper would have punched the ball clear before Torres got his head to it in the last minute.

To rest til mid May. Any player not committed to the full season should be kicked out. One cup will not be enough. Keep going until the end and then they can get busy drinking and riding all they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

To be a spurs supporter, you have to be an optimist, can't let any of the news get you down.

As such, when asked "what do you expect", I expect the world and wait to see how far we get there.

Premiership? Uefa Cup? F.A Cup? Carling Cup?, We are in all of these competitions, as it stands everybody is level, take it one game at a time...

A man can dream, Spurs afterall have a long proud history, a stalwart of english football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement