Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route from Heuston Station to Georges Street

Options
  • 02-07-2008 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi, I'm planning to get the train to Heuston station and then bike it to Sandyford. I'll take Georges street out through Ranelagh to Sandyford.

Does anyone have any ideas on the safest route from Heuston station to Georges Street please?

And does anyone know what it's like taking a bike on the Arrow train from Sallins?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I personally cycle down the quays and have no problem with it, safety wise. You could use James's St. and Thomas St. as an alternative and I'm sure there are many other ways.

The main thing for safety is your own awareness and common sense, so I think the route that you take won't make much difference from that point of view. Once you keep looking ahead and around you, anticipating things, signalling your intentions to other road users, you should be ok. If you see a car moving into the bus lane, chances are they're going to stop or turn left. That's your queue to overtake the car properly (look behind and pass the car on the right). Undertaking cars/busses/trucks is probably the thing that ends up badly for cyclists most often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You won't get a full size bike on the commuter trains from Sallins. They'll only take them if there's a guards van and even then they might charge you extra for it. Best getting a folder.

The best route to George's St is up Steevens Lane (the Luas tracks), then left onto Thomas St and keep on going straight onto Dame Street and then right onto George's St.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There is no right turn permitted from Dame Street onto Georges Street.
    You might be better turning right after Jurys Inn at Christchurch onto Bride Street passing Burdocks and then turning left at the lights onto Golden Lane and then turning right at the next lights at the junction of Stephens Street and Georges Street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Only if you're in a car :)

Easy enough to get off the bike and cross at the pedestrian lights. Done it loads of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 giantracer

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I didn't know about passing cars on the right in the bus lanes - good idea.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much - on the topic of getting a folding bike - any suggestions on bike shops that have a good variety?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Pedestrian crossings are for walkers.
    This is a cycling forum.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

giantracer wrote: »
    Thanks very much - on the topic of getting a folding bike - any suggestions on bike shops that have a good variety?

Any decent shop should have a selection of cheaper models. If you're going to be doing it every day, then I would recommend investing in something decent. Look out for Brompton, Mezzo and higher end Dahon (Dahon's under 400 euro tend to be a bit rubbish in my experience)

Mezzo and Dahon are sold by Cycleways. Dahon don't have an Irish dealer so the internet is the best place to look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'd suggest cycling up the quays from Heuston, right at capel street bridge, left onto Dame Street and right at the AIB, left up the lane beside Dublin Castle, and right onto Georges St.

The quays are quicker, and IMHO, safer. You often catch a run of green lights as far as Capel street, and no hills, good road surface. Only hazards are buses and taxis (pulling in for a fare all of a sudden), but rarely a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

I live beside Heuston and cycle to Sandyford daily for work. I'd also recommend Steeven's lane, left at the top onto Thomas St, just before Cornmarket right onto Francis St, left at the end onto Dean St, straight thru the lights onto Upper Kevin St, right at the lights onto New Bride St, left onto Pleasants St and then you're onto Camden St. Just get onto Google maps and zoom in if you don't know the street names (I didn't). Its a nice cycle, usually takes me 35-40 mins to get to Sandyford, 30 mins back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I too go up Steeven's lane- note it's only the first few metres at the bottom that is Luas only, the rest is a normal road you can cycle on legally. To get onto George's Street I turn up towards Dublin Castle and go along the lane that comes out to the side of the George. Technically there is no right turn from there to go up George's Street but in practical terms it is easy enough (I wouldn't attempt a right on the main junction.)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I'd avoid town. The best route in my opinion would to be to go through Kilmainham (you will be back trackin for about 1/2 a mile but worth it) then onto Suir Road and then left onto the Canal. There is a really good cycle lane along the canal which is on the road and is clear of holes and glass for the most part. Take the right turn after Rathmines bridge which will bring you into the back of Ranelagh. Then straight all the way to Sandyford.

Thanks very much - I hadn't thought of going along the canal.

Just need to work out how to get a folding bike now -

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hermy wrote: »
    There is no right turn permitted from Dame Street onto Georges Street.
    Turn into Palace Street (Dublin Castle) and go up Dame Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

A Liberty cyclist might consider Stephen's Lane, James's Street, Echlins Street, Marrowbone Lane , Donore Avenue, Sally's Bridge take a left along the canal to Renelagh Bridge take an illegal right by walking accross road, on yer bike and your in Sandyford in wondering what keeping George.

Advertisement