Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting *really* weak espresso from machine

• 02-07-2008 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hey, bought a gaggia baby dose and I'm getting very weak coffee from it, any ideas? I bought pre ground espresso while i wait for a grinder to arrive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Pre-ground coffee.
    (a) stale
    (b) usually ground too coarse

Time your shot - how long for 60mls (with a double basket)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

its really quick too quick probably, should I use the extra filter for a better result? it said it was optional.

What extra filter?

Is this the "perfect crema" device? If so you can horse that right into the bin.

If I were you, I'd just use the double basket. You want to get 60mls in ideally 25 seconds.

Anywhere from 20seconds to 30seconds is generally fine though.

Less than 20 = underextracted (weak) over 30 overextracted (bitter etc)

You are limited by what you can do with preground beans. You can probably slow it down by overpacking the filter.

sorry, miss-understood - yeah I am using the double basket. I'll try cramming more coffee in I guess! Is one lot of coffee in the basket suitable for 1 (2 if double) espresso? or can I run the water through it again ? (not doing that btw, just wondering) Cheers for the help Reactor

heggie wrote: »
    sorry, miss-understood - yeah I am using the double basket. I'll try cramming more coffee in I guess! Is one lot of coffee in the basket suitable for 1 (2 if double) espresso? or can I run the water through it again ? (not doing that btw, just wondering) Cheers for the help Reactor

No worries.

Not sure what you mean by run water through again.

I guess there are many questions for someone doing this for the first time that I would take for granted.

I'll try to cover all the bases. For a double basket you normally need about 14g of coffee. You may need to use more to try to compensate for the preground.
    Put in the grounds, level with your finger, and tamp (hard enough - but don't hurt your wrist).
    Do a quick flush of the machine (get read of any overheated water).
    You need to lock the portafilter into the grouphead.
    Then press the button that corresponds to a double shot.

Fingers crossed 60mls will emerge into one (a double) or two cups (two singles) in about 25 seconds.
    Dump the grounds, clean the portafilter and the grouphead and away you go again.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

thanks, will give that a shot. I'm just using the default doses at the moment as I havnt got a grinder yet and I presume i'll need to change them when I put some proper coffee in. Thanks again

Advertisement