Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get on yer bike!

• 02-07-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

More gardaí to get on their bikes
    Wednesday, 2 July 2008 10:23
    The Garda Mountain Bike Unit will be expanded from 130 to 489 bicycles today.

The unit will also be rolled out to some garda stations for the first time.

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern and Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy will officially launch the expansion at Dublin's Store Street Garda Station today.

The mountain bike unit was first established on a pilot basis in two Dublin districts in April 2001.

Within a year it was expanded throughout the Dublin Metropolitan Region and introduced on a phased basis in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

There are currently over 1,050 officers trained and equipped for mountain bike duties nationwide.

Gardaí say the units have proved popular with local communities and business groups.

Rte.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Put the Sudo Creme in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

They work! They were about Swords last year and did a great job stopping anti-social behavior in parks etc that cars cant enter.

I stupidly put myname down for our next medical bike unit course in september, possibly not my smartest move

I think a bike would be great for where I work. If they won't give me a car, maybe they could stretch to a mountain bike? They seem to get a positive reaction from the public too. The takeaway might get cold though!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭opti76

i applied for the MBU 4 years ago.... still waiting

Garda mountain bike unit or omac medical bike unit, both of us call it mbu lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

1050 trained but how many are still on the bikes? Too many people see a training course as a way to pad the CV and get other units rather than having an actual interest in the area. Mountain bikes being a prime example, within 6 months of doing the course they are off to another unit.

Just cause they said you were too old :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its popular with cyclists and pedestrians as they can relate better to a garda on a bike than one in a car. Reaction times are better than on foot. The garda can hear and smell much better on a bike than in a car.
    Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Actually, a lot of older gardai like the idea for the exercise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7486247.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Thats called experience youngster! :p

Yea say its a experience seeing you in cycling shorts *shudders*

• Advertisement

The garda can hear and smell much better on a bike than in a car.

Most of the guys I work with smell pretty bad outside the car too!:D

deadwood wrote: »
    The garda can hear and smell much better on a bike than in a car.

Most of the guys I work with smell pretty bad outside the car too!:D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *deep breath* ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love it

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha *deep breath* ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love it
    And I thought I was wasting my time.

It's not easy keeping up with you young whipper snappers, what with the radios in patrol cars and all. I still have a black nellie I was thinking of ressurecting for the town patrol. My pasty legs would show off the grape smugglers fairly well.

Black nelly and grape smugglers????

No wait i dont want to know.

Nope not wasting your time, i almost choked when i read that

Advertisement