Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just need a bit of adivce

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

If someone without your permission put money into your bank account whom does the money belong to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

it belongs to you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

but that is not what is being told to me by the gaurds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

Well then i suppose you better listn to the guards, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It depends on whether or not the money was intentionally deposited in your account with the intention of giving that sum of money to you.

If someone puts it into your account, but there was mixup in the account numbers (say the teller or the lodger transposed two digits), then the money doesn't belong to you.

If someone puts it into your account, expecting it to go to someone else (say they were given the wrong number), again it's not yours.

If the money is deposited accidentally through error or omission - e.g a payroll department accidentally depositing the cash twice, this is not an intentional transaction, and again the money doesn't belong to you.

There is probably something around acceptance as well - if someone deposited a large sum of money into your account which was the proceeds of illegal activity, and the intention is to get you into trouble (i.e. the money was intentionally given to you), but you didn't know or request the cash, then there is probably some stage at which you can reject the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

the money was put in there without permisson, i had told this person no. The person involed wanted to use the acc number and expect me to hand over wages each week from it, But after refusing this person they still went ahead and used the number. So where would I stand on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Talk to the bank and tell them to reject the transaction. They should be able to send it back where it came from or do whatever they have to.

Remember that the bank are appointed on your behalf to manage your money, so technically they're in possession of it, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well if the person put the money into your account and knew it was yours and they meant it. Then its your money.

Problem is the chap would know this and if your not going to give it back to him thats where the problem begins. Get the bank to send it back to whom sent it to you. This may not be possible as there may be no account details for the lodgement. It depends on how the money was put in.

If his job have your account setup on there system and there sending it to you via internet banking then there is little you can do. The bank may be able to stop it.

Advertisement