Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sandyford Motors - Good or Bad

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking at a car with Sandyford Motors, I would have to travel from Waterford to view, etc.. so I was wondering if anyone has any good or bad reports/feedback on them.

Thanks

Woody

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

what is it as a matter of interest? is it on carzone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

only experience of buying a car off them is sending then an email querying a
    car i was interested in back when i was looking for my first car and never got a reply, so wasnt to impressed tbh.

get petrol there from time to time, they seem to have a lot of cheap cars.

what car are you interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A friend bought a Scenic there, and while the salesman was a bit surly she got a good deal, fully serviced including 4 new coils, some bodywork attended to and four new tyres. I get my wifes car serviced their and their service Dept. is very efficient and professional.

It's a buyers market so haggle hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A friend bought a Scenic there, and while the salesman was a bit surly she got a good deal, fully serviced including 4 new coils, some bodywork attended to and four new tyres. I get my wifes car serviced their and their service Dept. is very efficient and professional.

It's a buyers market so haggle hard.

why did it need new coils

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Yes it's on Carzone. A 2003 Renault Megane, asking €5750. It's the Coupe type with Panoramic Sunroof. I've driven a Renault for 8 years with no bother, so only concerned really about how reputable the place is. Thanks for all the comments so far.

Regarding haggling on the price, I'd be hoping to get it for at least 5k, would that be ok or would I go in even lower?

• Advertisement

cant say much about them but jesus there website doesnt do them much for them...

Tigger wrote: »
    why did it need new coils

Noticed the engine was rough on the test drive, 4 new coil packs fitted, common enough failure.

Are we talking about the same place? Maybe I have got this wrong but I am talking about -

www.sandyfordmotorcentre.com

If you are buying from them you will have no problems with the warranty/aftersales, only downside ifs getting the car up from Waterford if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Bought a Mazda 626 there back in 2004 and it came with 6 months warranty. 3 days later I brought it in as the clutch was slipping badly....it had been driven carefully, not ragged or by an inexperienced driver. I'd done about 30 miles by then, from Dundrum to Clonskeagh and back for 2 work days.

They took it in without quibble....then charged me around €500-600 (can't quite remember now) for the replacement clutch and labour when I went to collect it. Unless I paid, they wouldn't give me back the keys.

It took about 3 months and a complaint to SIMI threatening small claims court action before SIMI's adjudication panel instructed Sandyford Motors to refund the full amount they'd charged. Think about that - The 'professional' association that represents the Irish Motor Industry made a judgement in writing against this dealership, one of their fee paying members. What does that say to you?

I'd also like to clearly state that I wasn't dealing with some questionable little get in a pair of torn jeans and a Ben Sherman shirt - The owner/MD was the man I dealt with....and I'd NEVER deal with him again.

This isn't slanderous - I've full supporting documentation from SIMI to support this claim.

To clarify - The above relates to "Sandyford Motors", just off the Sandyford Rd., beside the Maxol garage. There are two dealers trading from this site - Sandyford Motors are the operators of the garage, not the Maxol Service Station....and the other trader works out of the fenced compound and has nothing to do with Sandyford Motors. These are NOT main dealers - Sandyford Motor Centre is up in the Sandyford Industrial estate and is an entirely different operation.

• Advertisement

Maybe I have got this wrong but I am talking about -

www.sandyfordmotorcentre.com
    Yes you are wrong. I'm asking about Sandyford Motors, as stated in the OP.

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I had the oil changed in my car (MX5) by Sandyford Motors (behind the petrol station) in '98 and have never been back :)

Maybe things have changed, but the owners or managers then were an Indian family - when I arrived to pick up my car at the allotted time, my car was inside the workshop parked up but I was shocked to see two or three kids climbing around the interior. I had just previously valeted the interior, so the insides were now scuffed up with shoe prints.

Manager's reaction: they're just kids.
    Then he presented me a bill for 60 quid (punts, old money) - yet I had brought him a gallon of Magnatec and a new filter. Said he had to charge an hour's work no matter what.

So that's my story. I was disgusted. Then again, it was 10 years ago, so ownership may have changed.

Thanks for the comments lads, anyone with any recent dealings?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gil_Dub wrote: »

It took about 3 months and a complaint to SIMI threatening small claims court action before SIMI's adjudication panel instructed Sandyford Motors to refund the full amount they'd charged. Think about that - The 'professional' association that represents the Irish Motor Industry made a judgement in writing against this dealership, one of their fee paying members. What does that say to you?.

OT but what, if any are the consequences for the garage had they just told SIMI to F off? Chucked out of SIMI? I assume they have no powers to fine them or anything.

Woodgate wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments lads, anyone with any recent dealings?

All the staff are the same now as they were at the time, according to their website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think it would be fair to say that you can get mixed results at this dealership. We've had positive as well as negative results.

I'm going to close this now before we go off on tangents that could get boards into hot water.

@ Tack
    I've deleted your last post, as i think it was getting a bit too personal for comfort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement