Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€8000 to spend

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I have €8000 to spend of a used car. I am looking at a saloon type cars i.e for comfort and safety really. Are they my only option?

I wont be driving much but drive a good distance at weekends to go surfing and drive from Dublin and so on.

What do you think would be a good option??A 2003 Alfa 156 would be a nice stylish buy and can be a good car if looked after.But they are not reliable!! I know!!

A Golf is too small and too expensive. A corolla is too expensive and I will have to go to 2001.

Preferably looking a cars in the 2003 range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why 2003? is a special number? You will get more bang for your buck if you are more liberal with your range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Well 2003 means car will be five years old. I dont really want to go older than that. The cars will be just to old. I will want to keep it for a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

dedon wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I have €8000 to spend of a used car. I am looking at a saloon type cars i.e for comfort and safety really. Are they my only option?

I wont be driving much but drive a good distance at weekends to go surfing and drive from Dublin and so on.

What do you think would be a good option??A 2003 Alfa 156 would be a nice stylish buy and can be a good car if looked after.But they are not reliable!! I know!!

A Golf is too small and too expensive. A corolla is too expensive and I will have to go to 2001.

Preferably looking a cars in the 2003 range

I m not so sure about that. Alfa has improved a lot in their reliability within the last few years. Everyone I know that has Alfa Romeo 156 has been very happy with it.
    If you don't trust me check this site www.carsurvey.org
    I m thinking my self about buying that Alfa maybe this year or on the beginning of the next year.
    But anyway if you go with the Alfa i would recommend you to go with the 2003 model or younger because they have much nicer interior and better looking.

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I m not so sure about that. Alfa has improved a lot in their reliability within the last few years. Everyone I know that has Alfa Romeo 156 has been very happy with it.
    If you don't trust me check this site www.carsurvey.org
    I m thinking my self about buying that Alfa maybe this year or on the beginning of the next year.
    But anyway if you go with the Alfa i would recommend you to go with the 2003 model or younger because they have much nicer interior and better looking.

The 156 is a savage car allright. Well worth considering I feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Why is a Golf too small? Its bigger inside then a Corolla.

The Alfa will have a excuse me sh*te resale value hence a 2003 is nicely in your bracket. But again i suppose in the current climate not alot is shifting. Are you planning on keeping it a while? If your doing long road trips i wouldnt go below 1.6. Preferably get a 1.8 or above purely for comfort and strain on the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

PM sent.

The 156 is a great car to drive. Dont knock it till you try it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

dedon wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

What about an estate. It has the added bonus of being able to fold down the rear seats flat if you're ever planning on sleeping over in the car on surf trips.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V70/2.0T-S/1105592/

GB15 wrote: »
    What about an estate. It has the added bonus of being able to fold down the rear seats flat if you're ever planning on sleeping over in the car on surf trips.

Not a bad idea at all. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jentomgrant

How about a Ford focus
    Probably one of the best in terms of Comfort and reliability.
    I happen to know of one going cheap at the moment because the seller is going abroad. Its 2004 and going for 8500 - a snip!

http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=1946662

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

How about a Ford focus
    I happen to know of one going cheap at the moment because the seller is going abroad. Its 2004 and going for 8500 - a snip!

:rolleyes:

GB15 wrote: »

Thats actually a very good choice, Especially for what you need it for. Good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

How about a Ford focus

:rolleyes: As per you're post on it aswell. Try mentioning it in some other threads aswell.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jentomgrant

Ah listen lads, sorry I didnt know that you werent allowed to put up an ad like that. Sorry about that, really it wont happen again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm very happy with my 2003 156. The new interior is very very nice. Its a 1.6(most of the newer 156's are 1.6 here in Ireland)...but the 1.6 Twin spark will kick most "standard" 1.8s ;) ie your mondeos and avensis's! As long as you get a warranty for a few months it should be safe out...

Advertisement