Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you hated at first but grew to love.

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any?

For me it was This Means War on the PC.
    By the time I got it (present from my bro), it looked horribly dated... IIRC it had these cheesy FMV sequences where actors in bad costumes would come and thrash talk to you before battle... I was so disappointed and a bit horrified... I hated it... even the interface was clunky.
    But I gave it another shot and after about an hour I was completely hooked on it :D (I completed it too.)

I can't think of any other game that turned me around like that after such a bad first impression... I suppose it's a testament to gameplay being number one.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

My ma bought Conflict: Desert Storm for really cheap, i played the first part and swore never to play the game ever again, but i gave it another shot and got the whole squad in the game.

Then i had a friend play through the game with me Co-op, i remember being surrounded at every angle with three squad members down and fighting back with a pistol and a few medic kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

YES! That's another one actually!
    Although I didn't initially hate it as much as This Means War, I was really put off at first due to the crappy keyboard configuration options, the controls seemed really duff... I didn't think much of it at all.
    But hell yeah, I stuck with it (hax0red the controls via a config file) and absolutely loved it.
    I completed it and bought the sequel. :D
    Ahh good old Foley and his sniper rifle... always saving the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Two Worlds. Horrible controls, horrible graphics, horrible gameplay, buggy, just plain bad but I couldnt put it down for weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Deus Ex.

Yes, you heard me. At first I HATED the game, mostly for its totally uninspired, hackneyed conspiracy plot however. I played it a bit more and began to forgive the plot (God people in games like to TALK) for the sake of the gameplay & "freedom" I had to play the way I wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Oblivion.

I hated the whole slowness of it. Now it's one of my all time favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm very good at doing this to great games:

Pro Evo 1, I had never heard of it and I called my brother an idiot for buying it. After watchin my bros play it one evening, I played a game and was hooked.

Gears of War: Brother got it for xmas, i couldnt get used to the over the shoulder aiming and found it too awkward. Played it through 9 months later on co-op, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i've been racking my memory to think of an example but i think if i hated a game at first then i never gave it a second chance. Either that or i kept trying but i was right, it was crap in the first place.

I can think of loads examples of games that i *wanted* to like but just grew to hate.

*looks menacingly at Bioshock*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

I really judged that game harshly when it was released and didn't give it a second look, until recently. Someone on here was going on about how it was better than half life. Thinking that person a fool I got it and wanted to play through it to tell them how wrong they where. Initially I made myself believe it was crap but as the story progressed and the gameplay evolved I realized it really is a hidden master piece. With an ending that leaves you neither thinking it ended short or thinking it dragged on too long.

It's up there now as one of my top 5 FPS I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Resi 4 on the Wii, played it briefly at a friends house and got stuck on the bit with the leatherface bloke. Played it again about a month later and loved it. All time best quote:

'Whaddaya Buyin?'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Splinter Cell - tried playing it gung ho at the start like most other games I had played up til then. Found it hard to get into it and kept getting caught and killed.

When I copped on and started playing like a shadow I found it so rewarding. Now I play all games like a ninja - converted me from a gung ho tank in FPS/RPGs to ninja-like sniper dude.

Lovable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

YES! That's another one actually!
    Although I didn't initially hate it as much as This Means War, I was really put off at first due to the crappy keyboard configuration options, the controls seemed really duff... I didn't think much of it at all.
    But hell yeah, I stuck with it (hax0red the controls via a config file) and absolutely loved it.
    I completed it and bought the sequel. :D
    Ahh good old Foley and his sniper rifle... always saving the day.

Yeah i really liked the sequels, you could play 4 player Co-op in the second one, and it was a great laugh with friends working as a squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

didn't like Big Money at first but it grows on you, I'm addicted trying to beat my best score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

GTA San Andreas. At first I was; hey, I have to use the analog?? Hey, this isn't GTA, it's too serious. Hey, this map is waaay too big...

Then, when I got into it; Hey, the cars handle really well on the analog. Hey, this actually has a bit of thought to it. Hey, this map rocks, it's like 3 GTA's in one!!

Best of the GTAs if you ask me, including 4. And when I first played it I was disgusted. Just goes to show!! Good thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Gran Turismo.

I used to hate all racing games, now I can't get enough of em.

Advertisement