Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coonagh SC

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ive also heard women stating with conviction that dunnes in jetland is closing, that dunnes in town is closing and that size doesnt matter. all are vicious vicious rumours. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055326663

If I was a mod I'd merge but I'm not. Meh.
    Thanks NC, the link helped. Merged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

zuroph wrote: »
    ive also heard women stating with conviction that dunnes in jetland is closing, that dunnes in town is closing and that size doesnt matter. all are vicious vicious rumours. :(

I've heard women say they were going to win the lotto that night, but they didnt :rolleyes:;):pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Too true NC, closing Dunnes = Insanity. Dunnes does far better in the Area than Tesco, and will continue to do so until such time something other than tesco is opened at the Coonagh SC.

Only thing is Dunnes might face a bit of Kick back when Lidl/Aldi opened on the Davin site, as alot of foreign nationals will use Lidl/Aldi , as its much cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco.

Overly I think imho, Dunnes is far superior to Tesco, on every level. In the past I used to love going to the Crescent Tesco, but since it pitched up at the Coonagh Sc, I dont have the same allure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Only thing is Dunnes might face a bit of Kick back when Lidl/Aldi opened on the Davin site, as alot of foreign nationals will use Lidl/Aldi , as its much cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco.
    Not just foreign national's with the current state of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I use Tesco more often than Dunnes now - sole reason is that you can get in + out of Tesco quicker, sick of standing in queues in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

I agree - you can also go straight into Tesco without having to wander through the rest of the shopping centre. As it's quieter, it is a faster shopping experience and also has the self service option..

Apols if this has been answered a gazillion times already - I read back but couldn't see - the new building that is flying up beside Coonagh - has that got tenants or is it being built as per original plans? Looks like a retail park building...

Also - any definites as to whether it is Lidl or Aldi for Davin site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

ok I have shopped in Aldi and Lidl and do most of my shopping in Dunnes and tbh i dont find much difference in the prices bread chicken and vegies are usually around the same price and ok will give you you cant get the cheese range in aldi anywhere else.

Sure it makes no difference if the price of gas and leccie go up much more we wont be eating.

Really feel though that ninety9er hit it on the head about the lack of big names not drawing I mean the cinema going imo has done massive damage to that site as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not all vicious rumours. Notice on the Door of Dunnes on Sarsfield Street.

"This store will close on Saturday 2nd of August and will not re-open"

A similar notice is due to appear on the O'Connell Street store at some stage.

I really couldn't care less what they put on the Sarsfield Street site as long as it's not shopping or a hotel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Permission for a 17,319sq.m extension to the current mall of the previously approved Coonagh Cross Shopping Centre (An Bord Pleanala reference PL13.210562 Limerick County Council Ref. 03/2050). The proposed development extension will consist of: malls, food outlets, line shops, comparison anchor, kiosks, relocation and reconfiguration of previously approved cinema, play area, realignment of lorry circulation road, 2 no. new loading yards, provision of 1,600 car parking spaces (increase from 1,500 spaces) with associated lighting, access roads, underground services and landscaping.

Address: Clondrinagh Clonconane Ennis Road.

• Advertisement

So they building another Shopping centre or am I taking this up the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LOL.

They cannot even fill what they have already built.

This is rdiculous at this stage, that should be opposed immediatly. Its not needed, Coonagh is a big empty warehouse with just tesco, who are these idiots trying to continually build unwanted shopping centres.

is it possible it a redesign on some current features to attract in the business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    is it possible it a redesign on some current features to attract in the business?

Well, the cinema should attract some business I guess, there's very few decent ones in Clare afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mr. X wrote: »
    This is rdiculous at this stage, that should be opposed immediatly. Its not needed, Coonagh is a big empty warehouse with just tesco, who are these idiots trying to continually build unwanted shopping centres.
    I think the reason its currently unwanted is because its got nothing going for it at the moment, I'd imagine these additions might just help it get the business it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote: »
    I think the reason its currently unwanted is because its got nothing going for it at the moment, I'd imagine these additions might just help it get the business it wants.

It might have something to do with the fact we seem to be free falling into a recession too. There will be alot more of these half empty retail parks the way things are heading I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

1huge1 wrote: »

Possible, and what I'd hope for.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    It might have something to do with the fact we seem to be free falling into a recession too. There will be alot more of these half empty retail parks the way things are heading I'm afraid.

Probable, and unforunately more likely.

Living locally, it was the withdrawal of the cinema that annoyed me most about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Roxboro SCs everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Can anyone tell me the opening hours at Tesco Coonagh please? Not sure if it is 24hours. Need to go there tomorrow morning.

Had a look on www.tesco.ie and cannot even find details for Coonagh.

• Advertisement

Opening hours as follows:
    Mon 0:00 - Sun 24:00

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Many thanks TC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

So is there any sign of anything opening in Coonagh?
    When I was there the day of Tesco opening they were laying the tiles in the shopping centre bit so it's not as if they're still waiting for it to be finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

its people like you who contribute to the doom and gloom

SNAP OUT OF IT*

Limerick is doing pretty well in comparison to the rest of the country, believe me. Population is still growing. Limerick is now one of the most trendiest city for students. Student popuation is growing phenominally. That side of the city along Coonagh and the North side has really picked up in the last few years. Once the bypass is in. This area of town will be more popualar with shoppers.

There is a big catchment for Coonagh also. If Coonagh is very successful, Then I'm sure people from Galway will come to shop here. Crescent is one of the most sucessful shopping malls in the country. and they attract shoppers from all over Munster.

P.S also bear in mind its always better to optimistic in times of gloom, then be so negative of been in gloom.

Limerick will pick up. Limerick had pre growth boom years too. Remember back in 1992- 1993 Dooradoyle housing sprawl kicked off.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

An Fhile wrote: »
    Possible, and what I'd hope for.

Probable, and unforunately more likely.

Living locally, it was the withdrawal of the cinema that annoyed me most about the whole thing.

I thought they had scrapped the cinema aspect of it. It does make sense to bring it back as it would differentiate it from the rest of the retail parks opening all over.

Opening hours as follows:
    Mon 0:00 - Sun 24:00
    The pedant in me couldn't let this go.

i'm confused now. should it be 23:59 then?

:pac:

nah, its 00:00, or 23:59:59 but that would imply that it closed for a second!

00:00 to 00:00 ??

I always thought 24:00 refers to midnight the old day and 00:00 to the start of the new day.

however, it's open 24hrs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

mysterious wrote: »
    its people like you who contribute to the doom and gloom

SNAP OUT OF IT*

Limerick is doing pretty well in comparison to the rest of the country, believe me. Population is still growing. Limerick is now one of the most trendiest city for students. Student popuation is growing phenominally. That side of the city along Coonagh and the North side has really picked up in the last few years. Once the bypass is in. This area of town will be more popualar with shoppers.

There is a big catchment for Coonagh also. If Coonagh is very successful, Then I'm sure people from Galway will come to shop here. Crescent is one of the most sucessful shopping malls in the country. and they attract shoppers from all over Munster.

P.S also bear in mind its always better to optimistic in times of gloom, then be so negative of been in gloom.

Limerick will pick up. Limerick had pre growth boom years too. Remember back in 1992- 1993 Dooradoyle housing sprawl kicked off.

Delladoyle, you mean? Consumer sentiment is in interesting thing and I don't want to rain on anyone's positivity parade, but we better pray that if - if - Dell's production facilities are going to be sold off as going concerns, that there are some absolutely massive State Supports offered to whomever might be a prospective buyer, or Limerick will get its head kicked in.

So if anyone knows Willie O'Dea, it might be worth mentioning to him that it'll take more than a serious moustache to help his city get through the aftermath of a Dell implosion.

Advertisement