Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City boundary

Options
  • 02-07-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

does anyone at all know what is happening with the boundary? i know they extended the northside but i remember reading that the governent was to intervene and extend throughout the whole city?! any news or update on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Think Gormley is looking at setting up a boundary commission to investigate the issues. Hopefully some progress can finally be made on this and recognise the real population os far closer to 100,000 and not 50,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i remember reading that they wanted to assign a Limerick metropolitan mayor and to co ordinate with that have a metropolitan boundary..thing is raheen/dooradoyle the county offices are there so that suburb is a 'no go' area, westbury (technically clare) they built clare county offices there so we couldnt extend into that, only place really is castletroy, but then that creates a huge revenue to the county council and with that new parkway valley shopping centre gonna be built there itl be a no go area too for the boundary extension as it will create revenue also! :( fcukin frustratingly pathetic our situation really! were losing out to other 'bigger' citys to shops and health units etc:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    i remember reading that they wanted to assign a Limerick metropolitan mayor and to co ordinate with that have a metropolitan boundary..thing is raheen/dooradoyle the county offices are there so that suburb is a 'no go' area, westbury (technically clare) they built clare county offices there so we couldnt extend into that, only place really is castletroy, but then that creates a huge revenue to the county council and with that new parkway valley shopping centre gonna be built there itl be a no go area too for the boundary extension as it will create revenue also! :( fcukin frustratingly pathetic our situation really! were losing out to other 'bigger' citys to shops and health units etc:mad:
    Clare county council have offices in Limerick city, wow thats madness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

westbury aint limerick city ;)

The old County Offices used to be on O'Connell street so don't see why anything you've suggested would stop the realisation that cities grow over time.

To be honest, it's time to do away with the old city/county divide anyhow and just have one administration for the area.

As for Clare, the population of Westbury, Parteen etc and the cost of improving the roads and facilities don't it make it worth our while touching those areas with a bargepole. Spend a few million to get a few hundred people, no thanks.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    Clare county council have offices in Limerick city, wow thats madness

no its not Limerick city, technically its in clare but any plan to get westbury into the limerick boundary has now no chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

no its not Limerick city, technically its in clare but any plan to get westbury into the limerick boundary has now no chance!
    Oh I see, but if its not in county limerick why would they even want to have it within the boundry if its not in the city either????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The location of the county council offices is irrelavent. Cork County Hall is in the City, as was Limerick County Hall was at one point on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The extension recently took in Caherdavin, Coonagh and everything west of that as far a the Clare border so also quite rural.

The next extension will probably go North East as far as Newtown/Annacotty leaving Lisnagry/Castleconnell as the County side of the border, finally establishing Limerick as a university city.

West, but south of the Shannon the boundary is likely to go as far as the Roundabout beyond Tom Kilroys on the way to Patrickswell and sweep down to ring in Fr. Russell Road and the link road from there to Cement and in the Dock Road.

Should add approx 45,000-50,000 in Population. While Clare Co. Council have offices in Westbury, the majority of the population consider themselves Limerick people having just crossed the bridge to find somewhere to live. It's 5 minutes from Limerick City centre and 45 minutes from Ennis so it makes much more sense for areas like Parteen and Westbury to become part of the City administrative area.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The extension recently took in Caherdavin, Coonagh and everything west of that as far a the Clare border so also quite rural.

The next extension will probably go North East as far as Newtown/Annacotty leaving Lisnagry/Castleconnell as the County side of the border, finally establishing Limerick as a university city.

West, but south of the Shannon the boundary is likely to go as far as the Roundabout beyond Tom Kilroys on the way to Patrickswell and sweep down to ring in Fr. Russell Road and the link road from there to Cement and in the Dock Road.

Should add approx 45,000-50,000 in Population. While Clare Co. Council have offices in Westbury, the majority of the population consider themselves Limerick people having just crossed the bridge to find somewhere to live. It's 5 minutes from Limerick City centre and 45 minutes from Ennis so it makes much more sense for areas like Parteen and Westbury to become part of the City administrative area.

although i agree 100% with you on that, unfortunately its easier said then done..with the parteen and clare residents, the tax etc will rise for them and i suppose for castletroy dooradoyle nd raheen, also the gaa parishes would be in Limerick city which i think were causing big upsets..absolutely stupid..i remember seeing on the paper that hundreds and hundreds of households in raheen were asked if they lived in the city or county and something like 96% thought they were in the city! so it clearly doesnt matter for the residents..also the clare parts are being neglected as they are so close to Limerick..clare county council just want limerick to pay for the roads and bus services etc and limerick say its up to its local authority, which i personally think will become another moyross incident whereby it was governed by more than 1 local authority..which is the breeding ground for neglect, and we all know what happens then

• Advertisement

Why will their taxes rise D-A-V-E?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

John Gallahue, the County Council's new Cathaoirleach, is broadly in favour of the city's boundary extension into Castletroy, Raheen and Dooradoyle - he said that better cooperation between the local authorities will be of benefit to the whole Midwest region generally - spot on, I think. I heard that John Gormley is not going to intervene, he has told the local authorities to sort things out between themselves.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    John Gallahue, the County Council's new Cathaoirleach, is broadly in favour of the city's boundary extension into Castletroy, Raheen and Dooradoyle - he said that better cooperation between the local authorities will be of benefit to the whole Midwest region generally - spot on, I think. I heard that John Gormley is not going to intervene, he has told the local authorities to sort things out between themselves.

He's right, we need to stop fighting amongst overselves and recognise that a strong Limerick city only strengthens Limerick county overall.

Why will their taxes rise D-A-V-E?

supposidly the tax and general 'bills' are lower in the county than the city, the situation arose with the caherdavin residents prior to the boundary extension into their area :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

recognise that a strong Limerick city only strengthens Limerick county overall.
    This is not true, as regards funds available to the county council. If the county was to lose 50,000 people to the city, it would be severely weakened in its ability to develop and maintain existing and future infrastructure and services, since it would be losing a huge amount of revenue, as D-A-V-E already mentioned. The huge rural area outside the city would suffer greatly.

grenache wrote: »
    This is not true, as regards funds available to the county council. If the county was to lose 50,000 people to the city, it would be severely weakened in its ability to develop and maintain existing and future infrastructure and services, since it would be losing a huge amount of revenue, as D-A-V-E already mentioned. The huge rural area outside the city would suffer greatly.

With respect Grenache, that's nonsense.

Limerick city is the economic driver for the entire midwest, along with Shannon and UL. If the city continues in it's relative decline to Galway and Waterford, then that's bad for the entire midwest.

To my minds there's two obvious solutions, a) disband both city and county councils and have one body instead of two, or b) accept that the suburbs are part of the city and compensate the county to some extent for their loss.

If you think west Limerick stands to lose out under the boundary extension, the solution is to find the correct compensation, not to stifle progress.

This issue (for the city) is a lot more important than rates. A city of 100,000 people gets more resources from central government than one of 50,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

grenache wrote: »

Limerick Co.Co. like all other councils are mainly reliant on central Government funding to develop infrastructure & services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

As for Clare, the population of Westbury, Parteen etc and the cost of improving the roads and facilities don't it make it worth our while touching those areas with a bargepole. Spend a few million to get a few hundred people, no thanks.

When was the last time you were in Westbury?
    There's thousands of people in Shannon Banks and Westbury.
    Originally from Cork I was of the opinion the boundary should remain where it is.
    But the roads are so bad north of the bridge it’s beyond a joke. I’ve had two tyre walls split since I’ve lived in Westbury thanks to huge potholes on the "main" road – The latest about a month ago costing €320.
    If Clare Co Co cant be arsed to do a half decent job on the roads the sooner they let someone else do it the better.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Originally from Cork I was of the opinion the boundary should remain where it is.
    But the roads are so bad north of the bridge it’s beyond a joke. I’ve had two tyre walls split since I’ve lived in Westbury thanks to huge potholes on the "main" road – The latest about a month ago costing €320.
    If Clare Co Co cant be arsed to do a half decent job on the roads the sooner they let someone else do it the better.
    see this was exactly the kind of neglect that people living on the fringes of the city boundary are having to cope with. clare co co dont care about their residents in these parts and Limerick co co cannot 'afford' to lose its income from all its retail parks/ shopping centres etc so looks like were in a bit of a pickle!

You'd think so, but according to the census it's actually only a few hundred people. Hardly worth the effort imo. Let them off to their bad roads.

• Advertisement

You'd think so, but according to the census it's actually only a few hundred people. Hardly worth the effort imo. Let them off to their bad roads.

Look up google earth.

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather live where I am than in the city! The roads may be bad, but I still wouldn't move further in. If anything It's further out we'll go.

Look up google earth.

Don't get me wrong I'd much rather live where I am than in the city! The roads may be bad, but I still wouldn't move further in. If anything It's further out we'll go.

Up until the river is still Limerick, albeit County Limerick. Westbury is in Clare and can stay there imo, just not enough people living there to support the hassle of trying to get Clare to see sense on it.

Up until the river is still Limerick, albeit County Limerick. Westbury is in Clare and can stay there imo, just not enough people living there to support the hassle of trying to get Clare to see sense on it.

The roads within the estates are more than fine. It's only the "main" road of about 3/4 of a mile from the bridge which needs to be fixed.

Between Westbury, Shannon Banks and that new development up from Shannon Banks with the Irish name there would be considerably more income from car tax than the cost of maintaining the 3/4 mile of road.

I'm not saying it would be worth the effort, because it's not going to happen. But Limerick would most definitely benefit financially.

Personally I'd prefer if Clare Co Co got off its arse and sorted it.

As for Limerick in general - It's mad that Castletroy & Raheen are not part of the city.

Advertisement