Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

test myths or fact

Options
  • 02-07-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

i am wonderign wheter the following statements are myths or facts.

1) cross your hands in driving test is a grade 2 fault.
    2) touching the kerb when turning a left corner is a grade 3 fault.
    3) Turnabout: turning steering wheel to lock while wheels are not in motion is a grade 2 fault.
    4) The waiting times on RSA website is accurate. (this seems as myth to me).

thats all i can think about but im sure there are other items thatothers have heard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Washout wrote: »

3) Turnabout: turning steering wheel to lock while wheels are not in motion is a grade 2 fault.

thats all i can think about but im sure there are other items thatothers have heard.

I'm no expert, but they all sound correct to me. Except the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Only if you rightly cross them over. But you could still get a grade 1 if you are not doing it right.

Touching the kerb is a grade 2, whilst actually going up on the kerb is a grade 3

This sounds funny to me, You can't turn the wheel to lock while the cars moving really! You have to get your steering position before moving off.

This is always a grey area, I got a test last year about 6 weeks earlier than the waiting times, and this time round I'm just over the waiting times without my date letter yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

is there a list on the web which states the actual list of grade 3's and even grade 2's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

TheElf wrote: »

This sounds funny to me, You can't turn the wheel to lock while the cars moving really! You have to get your steering position before moving off.

I was taught that turning the steering wheel while the wheels are not in motion damages the tyres, and is not recommended. Although whether it's a grade 2 fault, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I was taught that turning the steering wheel while the wheels are not in motion damages the tyres, and is not recommended. Although whether it's a grade 2 fault, I don't know.

yes but in a stressful environment like a test it would be easier to have the car stopped gather your thoguhts and lock the wheel before moving. I can imagine it would be alot easier to pick up a grade 2 if you have the car in motion while locking the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's generally a grade 2 fault, but it's very hard to be black and white about things in the driving test, you could incur an automatic fail for doing so also, it all depends on the situation
    Touching the Kerb would be a grade 2 generally, or perhaps a grade 1, depending on how severe the touch was. However, "mounting" the kerb is a grade 3 automatic fail.
    Not true, i think it used to be, however dry steering is not a grade 2 offence any more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

TheElf wrote: »
    This statement is complete nonsense. You have a lot to learn yet.

It is considerably easier to turn the wheel to lock while moving than when stationary. Its called friction.
    It's why you see many learner drivers tugging at the wheel when doing a 3 point turn, and a properly instructed driver can do the same with a light touch of the wheel, much more quickly and more smoothly.

I was taught to do while learning so I suggest you get a better instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I was told it was fine to cross your hands.

My friend got a grade 3 fault for hitting the curb when she reversed around it, but I'm not sure about turning left.

No, you don't lose anything by locking the wheel on the turnabout. You also don't receive any faults if you adjust your left wing mirror whilst reversing around the bend.

I got my first test in 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It is considerably easier to turn the wheel to lock while moving than when stationary.

Completely agree, i should have my myself more clear in my post, although not a grade 2 offence in the test it's good practise to turn the while the car is moving rather than steering while stopped. Especially if you dont have power steering in your car:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

wil wrote: »
    This statement is complete nonsense. You have a lot to learn yet.

It is considerably easier to turn the wheel to lock while moving than when stationary. Its called friction.
    It's why you see many learner drivers tugging at the wheel when doing a 3 point turn, and a properly instructed driver can do the same with a light touch of the wheel, much more quickly and more smoothly.

I was taught to do while learning so I suggest you get a better instructor.

I know in general you should turn the wheel while the car is in motion, That's what I do myself, it's how it's done.
    I'm just talking about the turnabout, many people find it easier to get the wheel sorted before moving off in the test because of the small space you usually do it in,and generally people drive slower in the test, In a smaller car it would be handy to turn the wheel while driving, I'm mainly just speaking from experience driving a saloon Almera.

In my test I didn't move while turning the wheel and I didn't get faulted for it at all, so they are ok with it.

BTW just to clarify when i said "This sounds funny to me, You can't turn the wheel to lock while the cars moving really! You have to get your steering position before moving off." I was mainly talking about actually locking the wheel the whole way, not just steering. Should of been clearer with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement