Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So........... did you drive to work today?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Just heard from my folks of a young girl they know having her car taken off her after being stopped. Apparently she said she would phone her Dad to come and be the qualified driver and could they not wait until he arrived. Guards said they didn't believe she wouldn't drive home by herself. She was also told to expect something in the post.

It wasn't a checkpoint but just a random stop so maybe she was driving in a a dangerous manner I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

sk8board wrote: »

They really should drop the €1000 for €80 and 2 penalty points. After getting stopped a few times the message will sink in.

I agree with this, and I am on a provisional and currently driving around for work! The 1k fine idea is ridiculous!

Increment the penalty over time then. Maybe in 12 months time introduce the inflated fine as by that stage everyone will know exactly what the story is! Introducing it from day 1 is just dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

wooo, you'r on your 1st provisional. I hope al these hairy moments were accompanied... the law change does not affect you, it was always the case

you have a licence to learn not to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fizman wrote: »
    I agree with this, and I am on a provisional and currently driving around for work! The 1k fine idea is ridiculous!

Increment the penalty over time then. Maybe in 12 months time introduce the inflated fine as by that stage everyone will know exactly what the story is! Introducing it from day 1 is just dumb!
    Of course you agree - you want to be able to continue driving unaccompanied without passing your test. The idea here is to prevent learner drivers from driving unaccompanied, and a €1,000 fine will do this much better than an €80 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

July 1 was 8 months after day 1 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Anan1 wrote: »
    Of course you agree - you want to be able to continue driving unaccompanied without passing your test. The idea here is to prevent learner drivers from driving unaccompanied, and a €1,000 fine will do this much better than an €80 one.

not really, because the point is that the €1000 fine is pretty much unenforcable. Its over 10 times the nearest traffic fine. 100% of all the €1000 traffic fines will be appealed to the courts (wouldn't you??). No judge will stand for it, and they'll send it for review. It'll be added to the penalty points list, and then the Gardai can enforce it easier; they stop you, you get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

furtzy wrote: »
    Just heard from my folks of a young girl they know having her car taken off her after being stopped. Apparently she said she would phone her Dad to come and be the qualified driver and could they not wait until he arrived. Guards said they didn't believe she wouldn't drive home by herself. She was also told to expect something in the post.

It wasn't a checkpoint but just a random stop so maybe she was driving in a a dangerous manner I don't know

I took my father's car into work today as my own was booked in for a service, and i got pulled on the dual carriageway as the car has L plates displayed but i was driving on my own
    (the L Plates are for my sister who is just learning how to drive so the father leaves the plates up all the time) twas funny when i pulled up and the Garda saw a pink licence rather than the green learner's permit one!
    And of course having pulled me I had to explain who owned the car, whether or not i had the owner's permission to drive, and prove that i was insured, all in all took me 20 minutes and made me late for work!

Still though, proves that the law is being enforced doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

alo1587 wrote: »
    We all drove unaccompanied in the past, Anan, i dont see how its different now!

I never drove unaccompanied, I didn't even own a car when I was taking driving lessons, I took the driving test in a driving school car.

True, the test as it stands is pretty basic.

And yet the 50% of those who fail the test still believe they are entitled to drive on our roads!!!

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Still though, proves that the law is being enforced doesn't it!

yep, its great to see; taking the cars off people is a much better use of resources than trying to fine them €1000. Its also a much more visable form of law enforcement and will get the column inches if it happens regularily.

It'd certainly scare the pants off me if I was a provo licence holder.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    yep, its great to see; taking the cars off people is a much better use of resources than trying to fine them €1000.

I'm pretty sure the €1000 fine will follow in the post.

DonJose wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the €1000 fine will follow in the post.
    it will, and everyone will appeal it. Thats the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Thats the thing, there TONS of cars going around with L drivers and people driving them with full licenses.

Fathers and Mothers with Sons and Daughters learning to drive etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Well first of all I don't want to continue driving WITHOUT passing my test. I have it at the end of this month. Have had to cancel a previous test date as a sports injury had me in hospital for a week so when I reapplied (on March 31st) it took almost 3 months before I heard back from them!! And that was after sending off 2 letters from my employer asking for a test soon! So my test date is almost 4 months later.

My point on the whole fine topic is that if it was 80 quid and 2 PP's, I could see it been much more widely issued from day 1 instead of hearing about random 1k fines dotted all over the country. When you hear stories of somebody receiving this fine, followed by another story of somebody getting off completely, what are L drivers supposed to think? Is it being enforced? Is it not being enforced?

Regarding the Gardai....if Officer X has not received clear intructions on how to deal with offenders (which many are claiming), I reckon he would be much more inclined to hand out the penalty if it was the e80 plus 2 PP as opposed to slapping a 1k fine on every one he came across!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fizman wrote: »
    Regarding the Gardai....if Officer X has not received clear intructions on how to deal with offenders (which many are claiming), I reckon he would be much more inclined to hand out the penalty if it was the e80 plus 2 PP as opposed to slapping a 1k fine on every one he came across!
    How about 4 points and a €500 fine?;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I stopped driving weeks ago. Got fed up with the police in Finglas pulling me over wanting to see my licence, and wanting to know why i didnt have a full licenced driver in the car with me.

I am sure people who live in quiet towns and villages will be fine but unfortunately for me, the police presence in finglas is huge.

at least three nights a week there is a check point right outside my house from 9pm - 10.03pm

on Friday night, there a huge check point just up the road from me at 2.30am, my taxi dropped me off, he done U turn on my road and head off the way he came with my friend. the police car came flying up the road after them, blue flashies and everything and started shouting at the taxi man for trying to avoid the check point. they took my friends details and wanted my address which the big drunk eeject didnt know and she had to phone me to get the address.

anyway, i was looking out the window at all this going on and the police done a drive by on my house, slowing down to check there is was someone in or something.

see i dont think the police have anything else to do in finglas except set up check points. they certainly arent interested in robberies, drugs, travellers or anything else tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nope, but I did drive to my driving test and passed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Nope, but I did drive to my driving test and passed :)

Congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 peelaaa

They should fine the lot of learner drivers who are driving solo, 1000 euros. That would sort it, I am tired of their slow erratic driving and crappy nissan micras. Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

my da usually casts a magic spell and i drive better when hes sitting beside me, its kinda like magic, we hold the steering wheel together, bita bondin time, wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

peelaaa wrote: »
    They should fine the lot of learner drivers who are driving solo, 1000 euros. That would sort it, I am tired of their slow erratic driving and crappy nissan micras. Scum

Wrong thread, taarring with the one brush and insulting all in one and with so little words.

Try and put some effort in next time, ok?

Advertisement