Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running an application within a tab

Options
  • 02-07-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a design type question which I hope you can help with.

I need to design a tomcat based web application with some tabs in it. Within one of the tabs I need to run another tomcat application; this application needs to appear as if its running within the tab (i.e. not open in another window and still have the other tabs visible)

As as example, let me explain the problem more clearly:

I have and application with 4 tabs: HOME, EXTERNAL APPLICATION, REPORTS, LOG OUT.

Clicking on the HOME tab displays some introductory messages, clicking on Reports tab will open up some reports, etc. BUT when clicking on the EXTERNAL APPLICATION tab I want to be redirected to the login page for another tomcat web application and make it look as if its running in this same web application. I want to be able to tab back and forth between the HOME, REPORTS and other tabs, while running the EXTERNAL APPLICATION at the same time.

Does my requirements make sense? Hope so :)

I have tried doing some simple stuff with JSP but am not getting far, any help is appreciated here guys.

Thanks.

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you need the same login to work for both Tomcat apps, then using mod_proxy (or any AJP proxy/module) is probably the best (and easiest) solution.

If login is only for the external app, then it should be a matter of using the same HTML for the tabs on both apps (e.g. some tabs point to site1 and some to site2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I came across iFrames when doing some research, they seem to meet my requirements in theory, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah iFrames wouldn't be a bad idea for this in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Will take a look at iFrames anyway and see how far I get :) They seem straightforward enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OK, in that case you'll either have to go the proxy (of some sort) route, use frames/iframes, or use some shared auth token scheme if you've control over both apps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement