Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which broadband only provider?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Moving house next week and looking at options.
    Currently with BT phone and BB. Don't really need the landline so thought it might be cheaper to go BB only.
    Only thing is my girlfriend uses skype with video every night to talk to her folks in Italy.
    So would mobile or wireless be ok?
    Checked on Broadband Information and my dsl providers are
    BT, Digiweb, Eircom, Imagine, Irish broadband or Perlico
    Mobile providers are listed as O2 and 3. About 13 Satellite providers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

FURBALL18 wrote: »
    Currently with BT phone and BB. Don't really need the landline so thought it might be cheaper to go BB only.
    Only thing is my girlfriend uses skype with video every night to talk to her folks in Italy.

Mobile Broadband DEFINATELY NOT, advoid at all costs

Fixed wireless can be ok afaik tho not a expert in the field!
    Your best bet is a cable or a dsl connection if you rely on skype and video.

Sorry to say it but Eircom seem your best option, altho Perlico(Vodafone) are offering reduced deals on dsl packages and some people have said their pretty ok.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DSL: Eircom & Perlico you pay for line rental.

true but its hard to recommend mobile or wireless for skype and similar services, althought im sure there is some good wireless providers out there, personally myself i have yet to meet one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Vodafone offer free line rental and free connection :

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/modem/homebroadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's not free line rental with Vodafone, the rental is included in the price. If it was free, you should expect to get what they're advertising for about €25 a month.

Digiweb Metro is one of the few reliable fixed wireless services. If your choices are DSL and 3G, then don't even consider 3G for VOIP, especially not video Skype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

FURBALL18 wrote: »

What has your experience with BT been? We are considering moving to BT from Eircom and we worked out we could save nearly 30% on our monthly bills and have faster broadband. However, would it be worth the saving? Any BT customers here willing to share their experiences? I know they used to have billing problems but are they still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

If you can get DSL then you can get UTV . They have a no limit feature for 6e a month. For upload FWA is the best or Maghet

barnicles wrote: »
    If you can get DSL then you can get UTV . They have a no limit feature for 6e a month. For upload FWA is the best or Maghet

incorrect, for example my home is dsl enabled, but UTV is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

rc28 wrote: »
    What has your experience with BT been? We are considering moving to BT from Eircom and we worked out we could save nearly 30% on our monthly bills and have faster broadband. However, would it be worth the saving? Any BT customers here willing to share their experiences? I know they used to have billing problems but are they still there?
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

nuxxx: it's not incorrect. If you can get DSL, you can get UTV just like you can get any of the other resold DSL products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

rc28 wrote: »

I'm trying to go back to Eircom.

My experience with BT :

1. I ordered 2megs BB, I was paying for 2megs but getting only 1meg. It took them over a month to “solve” the problem (downgrade my package to 1meg and refund)
    2. I ordered online bill while signing up for the service, I never receive any bills via post but still was charged for paper bill. I never got the refund but they stopped charging me.
    3. I have powered off my modem and went for my holidays for 10 days, BT BB wasn't working after I returned, sent many emails, had many phone conversations (always had to explain the problem from the start - very frustrating) and what they are saying is for some magic reason the problem is in my internal wiring. When I asked why the phone line is OK and DSL synch is OK (just cannot connect to APN) I was basically ignored. I have no broadband since 22nd of May.

I’d stay away from BT. If it works, it works, but if a problem occurs the nightmare begins.

BTW, I went for the trial 30 days offer from O2 mobile – It is not as bad as you can read in some posts, sometimes doesn’t work (rare) but still not bad overall. (I got 2.5m download speed one night). I think it’s good value for money but DSL is better (more reliable).

--
    Lo0kash

Advertisement