Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First post/statement of intent

Options
  • 02-07-2008 2:33pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Woo, first post! :)

On a more serious note, I'm delighted to see that we have our production forum and will spend a while tonight moving some relevant stuff here from the main forum. The first thing we're going to need is a charter, but in the interim the intent of the forum is as follows:
    "The forum is intented to cover all aspects of home grown comic creation from where to get it printed, to how to go about laying out a storyboard, suggestions for script and visuals, what pens to buy and which pencil sharpener wont leave nobbly bits that spring off the side of your nib and potentiall poke an eye out."

(taken fromhere)

For the time being, take the Digital Art & Design charter as gospel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Congratulations!
    You didn't mention it, and maybe its an obvious thing, but just in case its not could I suggest a thread for people to post artwork & ideas they would like feedback on?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

woohoo, should let the anime and manga forum know and make sure they feel welcome posting manga style comics for feedback.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ger_Hankey, at the moment I'm thinking I'd actually rather have people be allowed to post up individual threads for the work they want feedback on. It avoids the usual superthreading problem of merging a bunch of separate conversations, although we need to come up with some rules/guidelines to ensure it doesn't get abused as a way of promoting websites and what have you.

Fysh wrote: »
    Ger_Hankey, at the moment I'm thinking I'd actually rather have people be allowed to post up individual threads for the work they want feedback on. It avoids the usual superthreading problem of merging a bunch of separate conversations, although we need to come up with some rules/guidelines to ensure it doesn't get abused as a way of promoting websites and what have you.

Yeah and also a guide for critiquing art work for people so threads don't end up being a big fight if people don't like the feedback they get. Theres a good guide to online critique for deviant art here that might be a good starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as a general rule on critiques my view tends toward:

Dont ask for an opinion unless you are willing to hear a negative response.
    Dont give a negative response unless you can qualify it.
    Do always take the other person into consideration when writing a reply. In general it is best to pretend that the person is standing right in front of you. (people tend to not call someone a f**ktard in person).

as for moderation: seeing as this is a new forum, myself, and I am sure Fysh, will be paying very close attention until a permanent mod is assigned, from when on we shall merely pay close attention. I, for one, would love to see this forum active and successful and will be quite merciless with the banning stick of DOOOOOOOM!!!eleventy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Well done on getting this up and running.

As for getting feedback on work I'm all for that, I also think you need to be able to back up what you are saying. Constructive criticism is great, but sometimes people just put 'your art is trash, writing is rubbish'

I've had a lot of reviews for different work I've had published, even the worst reviews that I've gotten were great because they helped to move my writing further.

Great work again on getting this up and running.
    Stephen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'll be honest, I'm going to try and encourage a "don't give an opinion unless you can qualify it" mentality in here. While it's always worse in the case of negative reviews, realistically any feedback that doesn't provide reasons is useless. For the artist/writer, it's more useful to know what parts of your work people don't like, but at the same time if people like something it's good to know exactly what and why they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well done on the new forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

boards.ie is definetely gonna be twice as interesting as of now..
    Also, 11th post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

yay *does his topless dance*
    this dance would be better if i was female and hot.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I'm going to try and encourage a "don't give an opinion unless you can qualify it" mentality in here. While it's always worse in the case of negative reviews, realistically any feedback that doesn't provide reasons is useless. For the artist/writer, it's more useful to know what parts of your work people don't like, but at the same time if people like something it's good to know exactly what and why they like it.

Should also have clear guidelines for people posting work looking for critique. They should state what level of critique they are looking for - focusing on the storytelling, more on the tech side of the art [colouring, inking, perspective, etc], writing, and so on. Some might want an all round critique but some might just want to focus on say comments on the story for now and focus on an art crit later. Does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

As important as criticisim is,I think there should still be a fair bit of emphasis(dare I say more) on stuff such as self-publishing tips and resources and the like.
    I`m sure that all the above are going to be here as well,but I think it would be a shame if this sub-forum turned into a scorn-fest.
    I`m sure it won`t and I`ll propably put stuff up for crit,but I think that advice on stuff like printing and such is equally important.

Don't you worry Luke, the driving idea for this forum is to encourage people to make comics. Constructive criticism is a part of this but sharing information on resources and techniques is, at least in the short term, the most important part and we will focus on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

Grand stuff!
    I just wanted to be sure of that.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Another question, thought I would put it in here rather than the charter thread; it says in the charter advertising for commercial purposes is not allowed, but if somebody wanted to say "Hey, I've just produced a comic myself! Its called "Monkey Serial Killers" and its on sale at Tony's comic store!" Would that be allowed? I'd imagine part of this sub-forums purpose is to let people know these comics exist, without it sounding like the comic producer wants to take our money.

I'll be honest, there's generally some lenience involved in terms of personal plugs - as can be seen in the main comic forum, we're happy to support people who are launching or selling comics to a certain extent. So, for example, posting that you've got a comic coming up soon along with a couple of pages of sample art will probably be allowed on the basis that the irish comic scene needs support.

On the other hands, posts or threads along the lines of "Hi, I'm Joe, I run a comic shop and we're great, come see us" aren't allowed because commercial advertising is supposed to be bought from the administrators.

It's hard to pin down exactly, but the rule of thumb is that regular contributors to the site are generally given some leeway to mention/promote their work so long as it's not gratuitous. If the post is seen as mostly promoting a comic that forum members may be interested in, it'll likely be allowed. If it's mostly promoting a website associated with the comic, or a shop that's selling it, it'll probably not be allowed.

There you go, clear as mud. In all seriousness though, if anyone has concerns about whether their post is suitable or allowed they can PM me to check.

Advertisement