Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons aftersales (its bit of a joke)

Options
  • 02-07-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just warning you of Dixons aftersales:

11 months ago i purchased a Sony 40inch Bravia tv, glass stand and Sony DVD recorder.

I only recently opened the DVD recorder and the remote was stopped working so i presuemed it would be under guarantee and i telephoned Dixons Liffey Valley.

I contemplated buying a rreplacement on Ebay bit i thought i would call the shop first as it was not a year old.

A lady on the phone in the store told me it was stil covered under guarantee and to take it up to the shop and they would send it off for repair, this was fine but i explained to her i would be up in a few days and i was travelling 90 mmiles to the store.

When i went into the store i spoke to a young man behind the counter and he insisted to me that remotes were only covered for 3 month guarantee. I explained to him what i had been told on the phone and he insisted 3 months and sorry nothing he can do.

Today i rang the store once again and the manager told me it was covered under guarantee. I told him how disappointed i was at their service and that i won't be shopping there again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

thats really bad, so are you going back? or are they going to post out the remote to you? (for all your hassle)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I told the mnager i just went and ordered one from Ebay.

He said thanks for the call and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

sale of goods act - item must be of merchantable quality.

A remote is not built to last just 3 months, so it was bullsh1t what you were told in the store.

Check all the on boards.ie threads about dixons, pc world, currys (all same company) - same thing sh1te service, don't give a damn about customers.

After a similar type experience years ago, i swore I would never give a single cent back to dsg group - and I've held to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

mcaul wrote: »
    sale of goods act - item must be of merchantable quality.

A remote is not built to last just 3 months, so it was bullsh1t what you were told in the store.

Check all the on boards.ie threads about dixons, pc world, currys (all same company) - same thing sh1te service, don't give a damn about customers.

After a similar type experience years ago, i swore I would never give a single cent back to dsg group - and I've held to that.

I said same to the manager glad i did and i am going to stick to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should always ask for the manager when in the shop, as often the sales plebs don't know their arse from their elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Unfortunately, the same can also apply to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Kahless wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the same can also apply to the manager.
    This is even more true sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

I've only read the first post here.... but trust me.... AVOID DIXONS AT ALL COSTS

EVERY time I've bought something there and it's faulty there's been serious hassle trying to get either a refund or a replacement.

Back in 97ish I bought a Playstation controller. Brought it home, unwrapped it and it didn't work. Presumed I'd just take it back and they'd give me a new one or whatever. No such luck, they kicked and screamed and tried basically every trick in the book to avoid replacing a £20 controller. unreal.

Next incident was a DVD home cinema back in 2002. Brought it home, set it up and the speakers just point blank would not work. Trust me, hooked it up exactly as instructions said, the system was just faulty. Brought it back and was in the store for over an hour while they again offered numerous excuses as to why I wasn't entitled to a refund. EVENTUALLY after arguing on and on with the managers and the managers of managers they agreed to issue a credit note.

Next time was just last year. Bought a DVD recorder in their sale. Took it home and (surprise, surprise) it didnt work, was filthy dirty and was missing a cable. It was clearly a returned product sold as brand new. Another venture back to their store in Liffey Valley. Again, as expected, they made life as difficulty as possible. They set up the DVD Recorder in the shop in front of me with a cable the chap just pulled from behind the counter. They told me once it was working I had to take it home. Again, arguments went on and on before they reluctantly offered store credit. While I was there I saw a chap at the counter returning a camera which was faulty and also getting fierce hassle off the staff over it.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there... but yeah.... basically avoid Dixons at all costs if you want to avoid a headache. I recently purchased a Sony TV a few weeks back. The exact same TV was €100 cheaper in Dixons but I didn't care. I consider the extra money totally worth it as at least I have piece of mind. Dixons are just a total joke when returning stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭kramerica

Yup, bought a Compaq Presario laptop in there in 2006, within 2 months the hinge on the screen broke so it basically flopped backwards completely flat to the table if I opened it to 90 degrees, when I bought it back they tried to tell me I caused it through malicious damage!

EVENTUALLY I got it returned to Compaq and repaired but my God they tried to paint me as some sort of maniac that buys laptops and then ruins them on purpose, just to get a free repair from them...

I loathe them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Enda89 wrote: »
    Back in 97ish ......

back in 2002......

last year...

You could have at least learned your lesson after the 2002 episode :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Jip wrote: »
    You could have at least learned your lesson after the 2002 episode :D

:lol: i was just thinking the same thing, thats battered wife syndrome.

Advertisement