Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT is up

Options
  • 02-07-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My NCT is up. 2 Days ago. Will book one in this evening.
    My question is, what is going to happen to me if I get caught without one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hi,
    My NCT is up. 2 Days ago. Will book one in this evening.
    My question is, what is going to happen to me if I get caught without one?
    Thanks

I'm not being smart with you dude, but it depends on what mood the Garda is in.

I'm sure though the fact that you booked it they would let you away with it. Just make sure you have the booking details handy :)

I was stopped with no NCT when i bought my car (98-D) and the garda gave me hassle about it. he let me away eventually though (NCT was booked and I had booking details)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends entirely on the Guard in question/your attitude/the shape of your face etc.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Have the booking details with you and there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

over the years i've had NCTs out by up to 9 months, never been stopped. Quick check on tax/insurance then 'move along'.

Recently I've kept them up to date, so things may have tightened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭The Stig

My NCT is out since April. I have been stopped twice (Check points) and both times waved through.

I think its mainly to do with the offence your being pulled with and the humour of the Guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My sister got caught speeding a few weeks ago with an NCT that was expired by 2 months. The garda didn't care about it. Interestingly, the points notice came in the post yesterday. I thought that used to take up to 6 months to happen also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I didn't have NCT on an old car as I'd just brought it in, got stopped and was told to produce it in the local station. went down and spoke to them, they signed it off and then a few weeks later the car was written off. Then last night I got a court summons for not having a valid NCT - I phoned the police station and explained it to the Garda and she told me I'd have to turn up at court but she'd strike it off if I brought the paperwork to proove the car was written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

quarryman wrote: »
    over the years i've had NCTs out by up to 9 months, never been stopped. Quick check on tax/insurance then 'move along'.

Recently I've kept them up to date, so things may have tightened up.

Dont worry its still the same, my NCT is up since february and ive been waved through half a dozen check points no bother. Im not going to bother nct'ing it either until the NCT centre send me out a letter stating that I need a test, if they dont ill just leave it go.

If the NCT was more about road safety than making a few quid I might be more interested in having an up to date cert on my runaround, speaking to gardai they are of the exact same opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cpoh1 wrote: »
    If the NCT was more about road safety than making a few quid I might be more interested in having an up to date cert on my runaround, speaking to gardai they are of the exact same opinion!
    * yawn *

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dont worry its still the same, my NCT is up since february and ive been waved through half a dozen check points no bother. Im not going to bother nct'ing it either until the NCT centre send me out a letter stating that I need a test, if they dont ill just leave it go.

Very true its mostly about revenue, alas your not gonna find interested buyers without it on the car. The average joe soap thinks the NCT means the car is in top nick. So your gonna have to get it done if your parting ways...

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    * yawn *

If you have nothing to add then just piss off away from the topic :rolleyes:

listermint wrote: »
    Very true its mostly about revenue, alas your not gonna find interested buyers without it on the car. The average joe soap thinks the NCT means the car is in top nick. So your gonna have to get it done if your parting ways...

The only place this car will be going next is a scrap yard :D

I have yet to hear from someone I know being done for not having an nct who wasn't already acting the maggot or at fault for something else to piss the garda off in the first place. Check points are more about tax and insurance, the gardai have more important things to be doing than taking people to court for not having an NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The NCT is the only way I see that gob****es will maintain their car to a safe standard eg tyres, brakes, lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

what happens if you dont have an up to date NCT disc? not much tbh! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

...until the NCT centre send me out a letter stating that I need a test, if they dont ill just leave it go.
    THey don't send out notifications anymore. Hope you get done, with your 'piss off' attitude. :(

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 peelaaa

When I realised my nct had expired I called the nct office to book a date and asked why I didn't receive a reminder. They said that there are too many cars on the road now to keep sending reminders to everyone.
    That to me shows how seriously they take the nct ie. not very.
    It took me 3 months to book a slot for a nct so what could the gardai do in that respect...
    Also you can purchase car tax without nct, so it isn't taken seriously as happens on roadchecks, they are only concerned about tax and insurance.

Advertisement