Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Stephen King books...

Options
  • 02-07-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

For me it's toss-up between Misery, Carrie and The Shining- all very good.

What do you guys think?? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Skeleton Crew is my fave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

Kess73 wrote: »
    Skeleton Crew is my fave.

I haven't actually read that one but might give it a try. Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I'd go for The Stand or Salem's Lot.

:mad: (in keeping with the inappropriate smilies)

I'd go for The Stand or Salem's Lot.

:mad: (in keeping with the inappropriate smilies)

I actually though they were quite fitting! Cranky? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'd have to second The Stand and also say Needful Things and The Green Mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Cujo! the bestest imho , followed by the green mile and the dark half.

anything before his car accident is good. it all went downhill from there (from a buick 8 anyone? the Stand rewritten... I mean Cell ?).

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Needful things
    The running Man ( Richard Bchman psuedonym)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I always like The Long Walk (also under Bachman).

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

astrofool wrote: »
    I always like The Long Walk (also under Bachman).

Got to admit I liked that too, now that you remind me of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I actually though they were quite fitting! Cranky? :mad:

Sorry. :o

Really like the Dark Half as well.
    Made a stab at the Dark Tower series but wasn't overly impressed.

• Advertisement

Sorry. :o

Really like the Dark Half as well.
    Made a stab at the Dark Tower series but wasn't overly impressed.

Aw thanks!

Yeah my friend also recommended this (Dark Half). Next purchase I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Salem's Lot - Fantasticly told vampire story, I really couldn't put this down once I started
    The Stand - Epic
    IT - Some of the most realistic characters I've ever read in a book, briiliant story from start to well ..... almost the finish. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Shining and The Stand (the original version). There's a lot of his books I haven't read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Needful Things, The Green Mile and Salems Lot.

Anyone see ads for The Mist? Has anyone read it? It looks a little like a rip off of The Fog by James Herbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

there were two stories out around same time : the fog by herbert and The Mist by King and then there was the film , The Fog (and its remake) , and now, the mist....

The Mist 1980: Novella 155 pages: King : About a group of people caught in an unnatural mist
    the mist : film : King : almost an exact filming of the book. very faithful and quite well done. Some of the acting is a bit on the iffy side (mild understatement there) but very enjoyable.

The Fog 1975: James Herbert : a fog that seeps up from the ground drives people and animals insane (that cows in the field scene really got to me :) ).

The Fog: film: 1980 : John Carpenter . nothing to do with Herbert's or King's books. about a haunted coastal town

The Fog: film 2005: less said the better. avoid like the plague ridden trollop of doom that it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I actually though they were quite fitting! Cranky?

What is the rolleyes icon supposed to denote? I think it's supposed to be sarcastic, but I just ad-block it altogether as it rarely makes sense with the post.

Anyhow, my favourite has already been mentioned - The Stand; "Epic" is right.

I really like Pet Cemetary, Misery and The Dead Zone as well. I liked the Tommyknockers, but a lot of people didn't. I liked most of the short story / compilations as well.

I re-read Salems Lot recently, and I really didn't think it was that good.

Pet Semetry was brilliant Eoin, really chilling though. Stephen King actually siad in an interview that he thought this was the book he'd gone too far with, as if he'd disturbed people by breaching the boundaries of the living and the dead.

I still can't watch the movie- have you seen it?? It really freaks me out!

Pet Semetry was brilliant Eoin, really chilling though. Stephen King actually siad in an interview that he thought this was the book he'd gone too far with, as if he'd disturbed people by breaching the boundaries of the living and the dead.

I still can't watch the movie- have you seen it?? It really freaks me out!

I think I watched the movie years ago, but it was ages ago. I definitely think it was one of his most chilling books alright. I think
    killing off a toddler added to this a lot
    . I read it again recently, and I thought it was still excellent, unlike some others I found disappointing the second time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Beldarin

Without a shadow of doubt, my favourites are The Dark Tower series.
    i know from experience, they can be hard to get into, (my first read of book one was 10 years ago, but i tried em out again last year, and was completly blown away.
    Once you have read The Dark Tower, (who's main character is Roland Deschain) every single other Stephen King is thrown into a new light, as they are almost all connected to this story in some way, including books I had previously read, and just never realised the significance of..
    For example, in Insomnia, the main character dreams a very significant dream of Roland, and contributes to Rolands sucess from worlds and years away
    Salems Lot, and Jeusalems Lot are both critical to the story,
    The Crimson King from It, well, lets just say he features rather largely
    Bag of bones, The Stand, Talisman,
    man, I could go on and on
    In fact there are whole websites devoted to how Kings novels intersect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Dark_Tower:connections#The_Stand

Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

The Dark Tower is definitly next on my list to read. Thinking of bringing the first one on holidays with me, are they easy to get in to?

Reading Duma Key at the moment (about 100 pages to go, no spoilers please!) and really enjoying it. So far it seems like the best of his recent stuff. Although I have to say, I quite liked Cell also, it was a great story, but the climax just happened too quickly IMO (insert joke here!)

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Although I have to say, I quite liked Cell also, it was a great story, but the climax just happened too quickly IMO (insert joke here!)

I thought Cell was sort of a return to his earlier stuff, which is a good thing - but it felt a little like "The Stand lite".

I think I read the first 3 books in the Dark Tower books, but didn't really like them all that much - I thought the writing itself was a bit up itself.

Thanks LoLth (hope I spelled your name right!). Still way about seeing Kings books made into films, some ae absolutely brilliant (The Green Mile, It, and Firestarter to a lesser extent) while some are a little bit rubbish (The Langoliers, anyone?).

Pet Cemetry, the film, that pencil scene did it for me. Can't watch it again :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Beldarin

Yeah, I know what you mean by that, but given that these were a very deliberate personal departure from his traditional style, his vision is very grand, and the lfestyle of the gunslingers is very formal, almost light athurian knights, it kinda works

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

I loved It and Desperation

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

The Stand - the very best, so well written
    Pet Cemetary - found it disturbing, not just because my cat died around the time I was reading it... urgh
    IT - had to stop reading it at 4pm, so I could sleep at night. Otherwise I could get nightmares. Could not read it at the evenings. Creepy!

Haven't read any SK novel for a long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Eyes of the Dragon has a special place in my heart, there's such a fairytale like feeling to the book, loved every minute of it. Loved the dark tower books, they got me into reading. The running man was as cool as f**K

Eyes of the Dragon has a special place in my heart, there's such a fairytale like feeling to the book, loved every minute of it.

Fair play to ya, I felt like my eyes were gonna bleed. Had to finish it in the hope that it might get better. A little bit of me died after reading that book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

IT

As a kid it blew me away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can't make me choose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

When I was younger I was a massive sk fan, collected first editions, audio books, everything. And no matter what books I've read since, I love coming back to the Stand, I loved the whole idea of it. The Dark Tower is a must, Roland being one of my all time favourite literary characters. It brings a whole new meaning to his other books, and because i seem to fly to through books, i loved that it was, in theory, a whole summer of reading for me.

his later stuff isn't great, although I did like The Cell, i couldnt seem to get past the first chapter of Lisseys story, and I have bought Dume Key, but seem to keep putting it aside in favour of something else.

The running man, and the long walk as mentioned are also worth a read.

On a side note the film The Shining scared the bejesus outta me, still can't watch it and I'm a hugh horror fan, don't know what it is about that film, it gives me the hebbie jebbies.:o

Advertisement