Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Computers do you use on your Bike ??

Options
  • 02-07-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

In the market for one and just looking for opinions ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a Garmin Edge 305 displaying Heart Rate, Altitude, Grade, Cadence (and a few other things, and for the the GPS tracking, etc.) and a Cateye Mity 8 displaying speed and time/average speed/distance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

very fancy pants, this cycling lark has me broke

You can pick up a Garmin Edge 305 quite cheaply these days, as the new 705/805s are out (add colour screen, SD card, dubious quality mapping.) I'd certainly recommend it, they are a bit tempremental (I feel you'd want a cheap standard backup computer) but they are great when they work and keep a log of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have a cateye 20 quid computer ... and it also gives me calories spent ...

I also have a 10 quid Tesco one that I still use on my Winter/commuter trek 1000 bike ... does the job :o

where is the best place to look at purchasing the Garmin ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Polar CS100. Does the usual speed/distance/avg speed stuff in addition to heart rate and cadence (although you have to buy the cadence sensor separately). I like it. It's wireless, easy to set up and pretty idiot proof. There are much fancier ones on the market, but I'm not really interested in all the additional functionality.

I have a cateye 20 quid computer ... and it also gives me calories spent ...

I also have a 10 quid Tesco one that I still use on my Winter/commuter trek 1000 bike ... does the job :o

I suppose it doesnt matter how cheap as long as it does the trick ;)

el tonto wrote: »
    Polar CS100. Does the usual speed/distance/avg speed stuff in addition to heart rate and cadence (although you have to buy the cadence sensor separately). I like it. It's wireless, easy to set up and pretty idiot proof. There are much fancier ones on the market, but I'm not really interested in all the additional functionality.

where did you purchase it El Tonto ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Polar CS400, gives me all the usuals, plus cadence, speed, altitude, HR, Gradient and most importantly the ability to download the data to the PC and graph the terrain vs my speed vs my HR and do all sorts of other clever stuff.

Had a garmin, didn't like it. Fancy, but too big and a pain in the butt to charge it up like it was a mobile phone, more often than not I'd forget to charge and the thing would blink out halfway through an important training ride. My own fault granted, not recommended for lazy people !

A bottom of the range polar is good, nice to have HR, failing that get yourself a cateye wireless (don't be ruining the looks of your new planetx with wires all over the place), and no matter what you do, do not get an aldi or lidl computer. I had 2. One fell apart (aldi), the lidl one was fine, but tempremental, very prone to getting screwed up near power lines etc.., much more so than other computers I have had whilst riding the same routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

There's a free one with Cycle Sport mag this month.

I have a Cat Eye Strada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Garmin Forerunner 305, also a Shimano FlightDeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Cateye HR200 here -works just fine for me!

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Polar CS400, gives me all the usuals, plus cadence, speed, altitude, HR, Gradient and most importantly the ability to download the data to the PC and graph the terrain vs my speed vs my HR and do all sorts of other clever stuff.

Had a garmin, didn't like it. Fancy, but too big and a pain in the butt to charge it up like it was a mobile phone, more often than not I'd forget to charge and the thing would blink out halfway through an important training ride. My own fault granted, not recommended for lazy people !

A bottom of the range polar is good, nice to have HR, failing that get yourself a cateye wireless (don't be ruining the looks of your new planetx with wires all over the place), and no matter what you do, do not get an aldi or lidl computer. I had 2. One fell apart (aldi), the lidl one was fine, but tempremental, very prone to getting screwed up near power lines etc.., much more so than other computers I have had whilst riding the same routes.

no i wont be ruining my new baby with an Aldi ha ha, got word i should have it tomorrow or Friday at the latest, wish i wasnt working on Saturday now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just some no name brand one. It chafes a bit on the shoulders, doesn't have cadence, or speed, but it does have the internet.

RedneckWireless.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

BUACHAILL wrote: »

Cycle Superstore as far as I can recall. Plenty of places online sell them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

el tonto wrote: »

was looking at this on wiggle - the CS100cad model has the cadence sensor for £13.50 extra as opposed to £24.50 extra if you buy seperately

CS100 - £71.55
    CS100cad - £85.05

Cadence sensor - £24.50

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Had a garmin, didn't like it. Fancy, but too big and a pain in the butt to charge it up like it was a mobile phone, more often than not I'd forget to charge and the thing would blink out halfway through an important training ride.
    This is entirely true, and even if you _do_ charge it the Garmin can throw a fit sometimes, it's essential to have a backup computer. But when it works it is really great, the entirely configurable display is a major plus point for me, you can choose exactly what you want on it.

Verb- I see your photo and raise you this:

behemothwisc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

CatEye Mity 8 on hybrid
    CatEye Astrale 8 on road (has cadence)

Polar 625X HRM - does altitude too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Jeepers I dunno lads. That’s a lot of money to be spending. Suppose you are all IT nerds, you like all the numbers :)

I got the Aldi one for €20. It’s got all the usual, it's wireless and it comes with a HRM. It’s survived several falls and even a spin in the washing machine. The holder for it broke though. A cadence monitor would be nice too.

I don’t think I’m at the level where I’d be spending €80+ on a bicycle computer just yet. Aside from it being a cool toy with nice stats etc, do you really get a regular benefit that you wouldn't get from a cheapo computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

BUACHAILL wrote: »

They are on special offer on Wiggle at the moment
    Sorry.. question has already been answered, didn't see page 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blorg wrote: »

Verb- I see your photo and raise you this:

Bollix. I'll have to concede defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Aside from it being a cool toy with nice stats etc, do you really get a regular benefit that you wouldn't get from a cheapo computer?
    Yes, the Garmin lets you retrack your steps if you get lost. Also if you program a route into it, it shows you how far from the top of the mountain you are, and you can see the profile of the climb you are dealing with - actually that's not a benefit now that I think about it.
    It does have a 'virtual trainer' on it though, for routes you regularly do, so you can race against your previous best time. It's a fun toy to have to be honest, you could certainly live without it. I like being able to see speeds, routes etc in hindsight.

The flightdeck's buttons are built into the brifters, so you can flick through the displays without taking your hands off the bars. It also has a virtual cadence, without having a cadence sensor, since it knows what gear you are in and the gear ratios, and your speed. doesn't take account of freewheeling though, but otherwise it's spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Garmin etrex legend cost me e100 on ebay, great for recording speeds distance etc , bought it originally for working in outback Australia, but its great on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I got the Aldi one for €20. It’s got all the usual, it's wireless and it comes with a HRM. It’s survived several falls and even a spin in the washing machine. The holder for it broke though. A cadence monitor would be nice too.

I got one of them a while back and set it up after a couple of months but could never get it to work, tried changing batteries, resetting etc but could never get a reading out of it.

I bought a refurbed Garmin Edge 305 from ebay for €170 delivered with HRM and cadence sensor - will be testing it when coming back from surgery in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

DA SRM Pro

Hope you have a speedie recovery from surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have one of the aldi ones too. Does the trick but I don't use the HRM.

Amazing how some people find the Aldi stuff great and yet others say it never worked for them. Computers can be got very reasonably really but I guess it depends on what gadgets you want on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Garmin Forerunner 305. Not the prettiest machine on the market, but functionally, it's class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

When did Aldi have computer's?.

Advertisement