Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X Box with a monitor

• 02-07-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have just gotten a new XBox with HDMI output and all that jazz, but I am currently playing it on an SDTV.

I want to buy a monitor to use with it, prefereable 20 inches in the 200 - 250 euros price range.

My question is: If you use a PC monitor with your XBox 360, what resolution do you play it at, what inputs are you using? (HDMI / Composite etc.) and how do you find the picture quality. And also what model monitor is it.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

You'll be using 1920x1080 if possible.

Xbox can connect with hdmi=>DVI but I dont think you can get any sound that way. So what I done was I got an Xbox VGA HD AV cable and got sound through an optical cable to external speakers.

I'm using a Samsung Syncmaster 206bw and I think its great. Love playin Xbox and PS3 on it. It was bought primarily for use with my pc but since I sold my HDtv I use for consoles mostly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What Gonzo said. VGA output to monitor and optical cable to Amp/Speakers.

You'll find it very tough to find a monitor with a res of 1920x1080 for around 250 quid as the size of the monitor needs to be 23" or more to support that res.

Most monitors around that price are 1680x1050

Note also that 1920x1080 is a 16:9 format where as most widescreen monitors are 16:10 so will never be 1920x1080 exactly.

This one would be similar to what you need if you want to get the highest HD res the xbox can output:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I am more interested to find out what monitors look good when the resolution is at 720p, seeing as I dont want to shell out for a 1080p monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Xbox VGA HD AV cable

Where can I get one of these cables?

I've a nice 22" monitor that I want to use for my new xbox but i cant connect them together with the wires i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

More or less any shop that sells 360 software and hardware.(Gamestop, smyths, GAME etc...The VGA cable is made by microsoft after all.I would reccommend shopping around, though.I havent got one myself but i have noticed that prices seem to vary.GAME do their own 360 vga cable but i'm not sure if they are any worse than MS'.Its definately cheaper, though.
    Actually, i was wondering as well, before i get a new tv, is 720p the max that can be outputted through the vga cable, or can it do 1080p just like the other cables?And another thing, is it true that you cannot play original xbox games through vga?

• Advertisement
Advertisement