Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barre Chords

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

I've read all about them, I've watched all the video's & I've practiced a lot but I just can't play barre's properly. Particulalry standing up. I've no problem playing the 'easy' chords and even solo's but I just can't play barre's. I know the shapes etc but the problem is the barreing finger.

Anybody care to help? Like, what would make my finger stronger to hold the chord? What should I do to improve. Any particular techniques I should use to practice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Practice, practice, practice. Also make sure that you're "pinching" the neck between your thumb and the barring finger, as this will give you the cleanest sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

seamus wrote: »
    Practice, practice, practice. Also make sure that you're "pinching" the neck between your thumb and the barring finger, as this will give you the cleanest sound.

I am again and again but I'm getting nowhere. I feel like breaking the guitar into pieces it's so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Don't know if it'll help or not, but what I did when I was learning was to just use my index finger and forget about the chord shape, then pluck each string individually. If any of the strings were muted then I'd concentrate on that one and keep plucking all strings until every one played cleanly. I'd then release the pressure and reapply again.

Or if it's certain chords you're having problems with maybe try playing an E or something, change into the problem chord, pluck each string concentrating on the ones that cause a problem until it plays clean. Change back into the E and back into the bare again trying to repeat the position and pressure from the last change when it played clean. If you can get it between an E and the problem chord every time then try it with another major chord you know well to be sure you've got it.

It can take a long time to get it right, but it's worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Played it on a friend's electric and it sounded very clean. It's just acoustics I can't play it on for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What gauge string are you using on the acoustic and what type of guitar is it?

Thicker gauge strings are naturally way harder to barre, and wider necks (such as Spanish guitars) are tough too. This is why it's easy on the electric - the strings and necks are usualy thinner.

As Pug says, it can take a long time to get it right. I've been play ten years and I still occassionally **** them up :). That's mainly because I spent the first 6 or 7 years avoiding barre chords and using a capo instead. So keep practicing!

• Advertisement
Advertisement