Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers: Mosaics

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Well I guess I'll get the ball rolling in this shiny new sub-forum. I think this is the right place for this, but if I'm wrong, mods please move/delete/burn as necessary.

A little explaination first; basically, IDW Publishing who publish the the latest incarnation of the Transformers project, run a fan art project called Transformers: Mosaic. Its a series of one-page comics done by one or a number of people and recently some of these have been printed in the main Transfromers comics themselves. You can find all of the mosaics here, but here are the ones I have done so far. I've one or two more in the pipeline, which I'll post in this thread when I can.

I didn't write these, so I'm really looking for critiques on everything bar the writing. Anything you think I could do different or better, let me know.

Thanks!!
    Public_Service_Announcement_by_GerHankey.jpg

Stowaways_by_GerHankey.jpg

Seeing_Clearly_by_GerHankey.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I meant to write something on these yesterday but didn't get a chance.

I think the first strip is the weakest; it seems you're more comfortable drawing Transformers than people, and there's a dynamism and spark to the second and third strips that the first is missing. I also prefer the slightly thicker lines and clearer distinction between the foreground and background colours in the second and third strips (I'm not sure if this was deliberate or not, but I thought it worked particularly well in the second strip).

If you're interested in the first strip's relative faults, I think it's down to the framing and the postures. The human poses seem rather static, and the camera angles don't quite show the action clearly enough. The linework on the characters could use thickening up to help distinguish between foreground and background as well.

That said, the second and third strips work very nicely, particularly considering the shift in tone between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Thanks for those comments. Yeah, one of the problems with the way the Mosaics are done is the amount of time it takes to get posted. I did the artwork for the first one almost a year ago, so a good bit of time (and practice!!) has gone by since then. The differing line weights for foreground & background is deliberate, and I think I'm getting more confident with it. I have done more pictures of people lately, so I'll post some of them up soon & you can tell me if I'm improving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

You really have a talent for drawing machines, the car on the first page is beautifully rendered, the Transformers are tightly drawn and have a great 3 dimensional feel as well.

Not a fan of the colours at all, any chance of posting just the inks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

Yeah great proportions on the car and robots but I also agree the colours could probably be toned down a bit.I`d suggest softer colours.(it`s mainly in the first one,and I realize you did that awhile back,so sorry if this is all "old hat"...)
    Aside from that small detail I really enjoyed looking through these.Good stuff.

New one for ya:
    Public_Relations_by_GerHankey.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd meant to comment on the most recent post when you first uploaded it but somehow forgot to. Your linework in this is strong; I particularly like the way the borders are broken in the first and fourth panels, it adds to the sense of motion in the former and the "larger than life character" in the latter.

I must say your work blends very well with the colouring as well - any chance of seeing the linework in b&w? Would be nice to be able to compare the two.

Fysh wrote: »
    I'd meant to comment on the most recent post when you first uploaded it but somehow forgot to. Your linework in this is strong; I particularly like the way the borders are broken in the first and fourth panels, it adds to the sense of motion in the former and the "larger than life character" in the latter.

I must say your work blends very well with the colouring as well - any chance of seeing the linework in b&w? Would be nice to be able to compare the two.

Thanks - I found the line art knocking around on the PC-

A new one just got posted:
    Closure_by_GerHankey.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dmcloughney

Hey Ger, The new one looks great, best 1 yet. There is a huge gulf in class between the first one you posted up and this one. You have a cool style of drawings robots and I think the faces have really improved aswell, this guy looks solid. The only negitive thing I could say is I think the colouring lets the ink work down a bit, it looks a bit flat maybe it needs more highlights. Mind you I think it would look great in black and white. Anyway whatever you decide to do, the drawing itself looks cool. Good work

Advertisement