Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about MB's (sata & ide)

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:14pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking at gettin a new comp, gonna use the build feature on the komplett as I don't really have the time to be reading up on what will be compatable and that if I was going to do it myself,
    But picking ou the mobo's
    I'll use this on as an expamle as to what I might pick
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335498&CKS=PCW
    it says 1 ATA, 5 SATA
    I don't se IDE anywhere on any of the mobo's it lists for me.
    So will the ide HD'S in my current comp not be able to be connected up to the computer? and I won't be able to avail of the cheap 1TB' hd's that are out there at the moment?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

ATA = IDE
    Only having one though is a bit of a pain in the nuts... just enough for 1 harddrive and 1 cd/dvd drive... but it can be a bit of a strech unless you've got a really long IDE cable.

SATA drives are pretty cheap too IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ah right i get ya now, ATA/IDI is one, but it has the two block connectors on it, looking at the komplett build feature, and it lets ya have two dvd roms, so that would mean no more IDE drives,
    current computer I have at home has two hd's in it and two dvd roms all on IDE, idealilly I would rather it if they gave me a choice for 1 sata, and 1 dvd rom(put another one in when I got the comp) and put in two 1TB hd's but I guess its not possible. hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Komplett would use Sata DvdRoms, therefore not using the ide at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah good point actually :)
    What's the thinking behind having two dvd drives though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ah so they use sata dvd drives too.. Well I wanted to put my otherdvd rom in it to save a few quid on having to buy another one.. and reason.. to copy two dvd's at once! so I'm guessin what ever kind of upgrade I want to get the other computer with its ide cd-roms, and ide hard drives can't be put to use on the new computer no, unless I buy one of those external hard drive slots to put one in it to transfare stuff, that the only route really isn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement