Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two slices of spelt soda bread what would you do?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

I have recently found and an alternative bread made from spelt wheat and while happy about this, I am unhappy with the lack of things I've managed to put between two slices of bespoke bread. So far I've come up with either peanut butter or cheese, (not very imaginative I know). So what would put between 2 slices of bread roughly 9x9cm (that is nutritious of course)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

One of my favorites is tuna and sweetcorn with low fat mayonnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Mmm I love tuna mayo!

Another suggestion would be cajun chicken. Fry some chicken in cajun spices and then let it cool and chop it up. Put some light mayonaise (enough to coat the chicken) in a bowl and add more cajun spices then toss the seasoned chicken in the cajun mayo and you have a tasty, healthy, low-fat (provided you only used the bare minimum of light mayonaise!) filling for a sandwich.

Another is a BLT, trim the fat off some rashers and pop them in the microwave (about two per sandwich) then let them cool and put them in a sambo with crispy lettuce, fresh tomato, whatever other veggies you dancy (peppers, red onion etc.) and perhaps a scrape of light mayonaise on the bread.

Delicious.

As you can probably tell, I am a big fan of sandwiches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

First of all, CerebralCortex, where did you buy the spelt bread? I get mine from Superquinn which tastes great but am always on the lookout for different varities.

On mine, I sometimes put tinned red salmon (really good value from Lidl) with a little low fat mayo, gruyere cheese, tomato and cucumber. So delicious I could eat them all day. Other times just a plain salad sambo with ham, lettuce, tomato and cucumber with a dash of low fat mayo. Another fav is egg mayo made from boiled egg, onion and tomato mixed with low fat mayo with cucumber and lettuce or ham or all three!

And then I just love fresh bread with raspberry or blackberry jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

These are all yummy sandwich ideas. Just as a side-note - Hellman's Extra Light Mayo is so low in calories that on the Weight Watchers plan, 2 teaspoons of it has a Points value of 0. That's right - it's so low it doesn't even impact your calorie intake. (I think it's around 11 cals per 2 teaspoon serving.)

I use it in all recipes requiring mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

These are all yummy sandwich ideas. Just as a side-note - Hellman's Extra Light Mayo is so low in calories that on the Weight Watchers plan, 2 teaspoons of it has a Points value of 0. That's right - it's so low it doesn't even impact your calorie intake. (I think it's around 11 cals per 2 teaspoon serving.)
    It also doesn't have hydrogenated fats or wheat starch so as a non wheat eater and an avoider of hydrog fats it's the best one I've found in the supermarket

• Advertisement

I use it in all recipes requiring mayo.

Ooh yay that's fantastic! I'd been worrying that "light" wasn't as "light" as I thought it was, but no I have nothing to be worried about!

Piste wrote: »
    Ooh yay that's fantastic! I'd been worrying that "light" wasn't as "light" as I thought it was, but no I have nothing to be worried about!

Just to be aware - Hellman's do 3 versions of their ordinary (non-flavoured) mayo - Original, Light and Extra Light.

The one I am talking about is the Extra Light version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What's the caloric difference between light and extra light? I tried extra light before but just couldn't stomach the glue-like texture. I could barely get it off the spoon, never mind onto food!

I think it's more vinegary than the other two, but definitely not gluey. I mix it with natural yoghurt as a base for lots of nice sauces - tartare, lemon and herb etc. The mayo/natural yoghurt combo is good in pittas, too. It makes a nice potato salad with lots of herbs - not as mad about it on eggs though.

All values per tablespoon, Hellman's brand:

Original mayo: 90 kcals 2g sat fat
    Light mayo: 45 kcals 0.5g sat fat
    Extra light mayo: 15 kcals 01.g sat fat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

First of all, CerebralCortex, where did you buy the spelt bread? I get mine from Superquinn which tastes great but am always on the lookout for different varities.

On mine, I sometimes put tinned red salmon (really good value from Lidl) with a little low fat mayo, gruyere cheese, tomato and cucumber. So delicious I could eat them all day. Other times just a plain salad sambo with ham, lettuce, tomato and cucumber with a dash of low fat mayo. Another fav is egg mayo made from boiled egg, onion and tomato mixed with low fat mayo with cucumber and lettuce or ham or all three!

I got mine in Dunnes Stores in the Jetland shopping centre Caherdavin Limerick if thats any help to ya. I would never have thought of tinned salmon thank you!
    And then I just love fresh bread with raspberry or blackberry jam.

I'll second that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

tesco light choices soft cheese + a slice or two of smoked salmon and a sprinkle of dill if you've got it. (+ a few capers and some minced red onion as well if you want to get fancy ;) )

Just to be aware - Hellman's do 3 versions of their ordinary (non-flavoured) mayo - Original, Light and Extra Light.

The one I am talking about is the Extra Light version.

Heh, just realised last night we only ever have light...I sent my dad out last night to buy EXTRA light mayonaise (I even put extra emphasis on the EXTRA) and he returns with light :(

Still better than regular mayo though!

Advertisement