Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get ... points?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

How hard is it to get this many points:

100 -
    200 -
    300 -
    350 -
    400 -
    450 -
    500 -
    550 -
    600 -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I guess that would depend on the individual's intelligence, resources, motivation, choice of subjects etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Take the number of points, and multiply it by the coefficient of hardness, which is 5. Sorted.

Of course, your answer will be in units of hardness, hereby named the PFM, which mean absolutely nothing at all, because hardness is subjective.

Work it out, if you must.
    600 points means 6 A1s. That's 90% or higher in 6 HL subjects.
    500 points is an average of 83% in 6 subjects, that's 6 HB1s.
    400 points, that's averaging 66%, that's 6 HC1s, and so on, and so forth. (Of course this is crude, you could get 4 A1s and 2 D3s and get almost 500 points, etc.)

We'll be able to better tell you how hard it was when we get our own results, but everyone is different. Obviously getting 600 points is not a walk in the park, but it'll be easier for some than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I guess that would depend on the individual's intelligence, resources, motivation, choice of subjects etc. etc.

+1, totally agree.

200 points may be excellent for one person, while 600 may be excellent for another.

PFM, are you sure about 500? A B1 is only 80% so why would it need to be an average of 83%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A B1 is 85 points, regardless of whether you get 80 or 83. I was just doing it quickly on my calculator, but yeah, you could get 80% in 6 subjects and get 510 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sorry OP but that is a ridiculous question.
    It's very hard to get 600 points. It's not very hard to get 100 points.
    There's no graduated scale of difficulty here.

The points you get will depend on the amount of work you put in, how motivated you are, how you react to a pressurised exam situation and, to a certain extent, natural ability/intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Signature wrote: »

100 - roll ur face all over the paper and u'll get it
    200 - doodle all over the paper and you'll get it
    300 - day before revision
    350 - week before revision
    400 - some work over the last month
    450 - some work over the year
    500 - nerd
    550 - bigger nerd
    600 - no life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's a very relative question, so one can't give a precise answer on how hard or easy it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bohs1890

exactly.. spot on kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Yeah kid, spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

:rolleyes:hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

100 -
    200 -
    300 -
    350 -
    400 -
    450 -
    500 -
    550 -
    600 -

its easy as 100, 200, 300...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

100 -What -
    200 -a
    300 -stupid
    350 -question
    400 -to
    450 -ask
    500 -in -
    550 -any
    600 -circumstances

Yeah 600 is easy to get compared to 100 ,so obvious:rolleyes:

Save you the worry i've shortened it to what you will probably be aiming for based on that question:)

:D Think before you type:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Completely depends on the individual. I've had students upset with 590 or thrilled with 300. Depends on the amount of work they put in, ability, resources, determination & of course expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

declan_lgs wrote: »
    its easy as 100, 200, 300...
    A, B, C.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

350 - week before revision
    400 - some work over the last month

:pac: mwah ha ha.

I'd expect to land somewhere between these two.
    That would be eh...two weeks revision.

Theres no 'if you're X, you'll get Y' formula for the leaving folks- it's case by case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

100 -
    200 -
    300 -
    350 -
    400 -
    450 -
    500 -
    550 -
    600 -

if your asking such a question then i dont think you need worry about the points, if you spent more time studying than worrying about stuff like that your likely to do better then gain higher points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

How hard is it to get points? On a scale of 1-10, I would say : cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Some people have a LOT of free time to be making utterly pointless posts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

And some people have a lot more to browse a site, read all the pointless responses and make an utterly pointless reply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

I'd say if you pick your subjects carefully judging by how good you are at them, 500 points will be easy enough to get.
    Average person does 7 subjects yes, so if you pick 4 of your best subjects and get a B1 or an A2 lets say in the 4, your looking at an average of 350 points there.
    Now you can get a B2 and a B1 in your two remaining subjects you got highest in, thats 495 there if im correct, and I'm going lightly on the grades as the chances are you'll get an A1 in something so if you pick the subjects your good at (only of course some of them are associated with your intended course, but then againthe course should be based around the subjects your good at,) you should pass with flying colours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

points are easy to get if you're good at the subjects you pick...or if you just do well naturally, all I ever did was the basic homework I was given through the year and the night before each exam did some revision and got 460~ iirc, (twas 2yrs ago)

Know it's a bit late now for this years people but if you don't stress over it and just try take it in your stride you'll find it easier and probably pick up more points...however depending on what college course you end up doing, if you just stay relaxed about it you'll be screwed, granted stressing over it don't help much either...Bah! the moral of the story is don't use science degrees as a back door entry to another career/degree unless you're really bloody good at science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

Le Rack wrote: »
    points are easy to get if you're good at the subjects you pick...or if you just do well naturally, all I ever did was the basic homework I was given through the year and the night before each exam did some revision and got 460~ iirc, (twas 2yrs ago)

Know it's a bit late now for this years people but if you don't stress over it and just try take it in your stride you'll find it easier and probably pick up more points...however depending on what college course you end up doing, if you just stay relaxed about it you'll be screwed, granted stressing over it don't help much either...Bah! the moral of the story is don't use science degrees as a back door entry to another career/degree unless you're really bloody good at science!

Thanks every one. :D

All the teachers say do your homework and it is supposed to definitely help you out so I'll do my homework good every night!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks every one. :D

All the teachers say do your homework and it is supposed to definitely help you out so I'll do my homework good every night!

Lesson#1: How about doing your homework well every night! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

So some have got their Leaving Cert results... I've seen very good results. People got a lot better than they thought they would.

I've been looking a lot at a course which is normally 410-420 points. It's what I really want to do and I'll probably go for it for college.

So after seeing those results, it's seems getting 400+ points isn't as impossible as I thought. :) Of course, I'm aware I'll still have to put a lot of work in. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

In my opinion the vast majority are capable of over 300. Of course some aren't but i think most are. The LC is as much a test of your common sense as anything-basically you can ensure that you are able to get at least a C . Your exam technique is something which doesnt require much intelligance just research into whats required. And subject choice is the most important-from my results its clear i shouldnt have done Chem/Honours Maths which in the latter i did a good bit of work for and got a C. History for me was a couple of days before job and i got an A1. Getting 600 requires consistant work, cop on and the right subjects.

Advertisement