Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Hybrid

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Have a Mountain Bike at the moment btu I am looking to trade up to something with a bit more speed for the commute in City Center. Would be looking for something that could take a hop over a pothole/pavement every once in a while without buckling the wheels. €400 max. Any suggestions and where I could pick it up in town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=53260&cat=all

Theres mentions of pics in the comments, but i cant see one. If you cant see it either, ask to see a pic and haggle the price down a bit. 75 euro down from purchase price isnt great, push to between 350-400

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can get that bike new in Cyclesuperstore for €385 (€445 as mentioned in the comments is for the front suspension version). You wouldn't need front suspension, the money would be better spent by upgrading to the CRS 2.5 for the same price or going with a Lapierre RCR 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

If you can stretch to €499 the Specialized Sirrus is very nice and fast for a hybrid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If that bike is €385 new in Cycle Superstore, €250-300 is the right range for it, and 300 would be on the generous side. Sellers of second-hand bikes often don't realise, but there is a limited market for second-hand bikes and massive depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭coldpaw

so the cyclesuperstore seems to be the best place to pick up a bike then must head out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Any one have experience with this Bike? Carrera Gryphon

Saw it at halfords the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Carrera range aren't the worst. Don't expect any sort of service from Halfords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Stark wrote: »
    The Carrera range aren't the worst. Don't expect any sort of service from Halfords though.

Thanks,

Thats the first hybrid I've seen wit disc brakes.. Are they expensive to fix/renew? ,as apposed to the normal ones? . how long would you expect to get out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i have the older version of that gryphon as my hack bike, i used to commute on it and have to say it served me well. still gets the odd outing for serious shopping as i kitted it out with a rear rack. when it was my only bike i thought it was the business, and it was on it that i got the cycling bug -leading to its retirement in favour of a fixie and then a road bike. it's solid and reliable, if a bit heavy, and the alex rims on mine did need the occasional truing - but all wheels at that price level will i reckon.

mine didn't come with the disc brakes though, so i can't comment on them (other than to say that i have yet to be convinced of their necessity on the road, and that they might make the bike a teeny bit more attractive to thieving bastards - ok so apparently i can comment but this doesn't really count because it's in brackets). i've found callipers perfectly adequate thus far.

imo halfords do not know the meaning of the word service. how much do they want for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wandered into Halfords in Liffey Valley today, they had Boardman hybrids. Looked interesting. Pricey obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement