Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Continuum Leaked **May Contain Spoilers**

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Better than the last film but it still wasn't very good. There are some good parts but overall there are just so many things wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Great movie, thuroughly enjoyable.....
    but the problem i see is it was totally story driven. It was 50 minutes before the action really started, and there was never much action. From that point of view, I'm not sure of the re-watch value of this movie, and as such if it will do well as a scifi DVD in terms of sales, again, despite it a great story, and fantastic special effects.

As far as Baal Killing O'Neill, it did seem to be a stab in the shoulder, but then he angled it down very sharply, so i'm guessing heart damage. Pretty lame way for him to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I liked the way they
    killed Ba'al lots of times.

Shot the clone lots near the start.
    Split the real Ba'al in half just when he was about to take over earth.
    Shot the real Ba'al in the forehead just as he walked through the gate smugly.
    Extracted the symbiote Ba'al from the clone and watched him die with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Watched it last night. Very enjoyable film. Leaps and bounds ahead of Ark of Truth. Nothing beats a good classic Goa'uld-centric storyline.

One thing I didn't get was
    Wouldn't the alternate timeline (which only branched off in 1939) still have had the time-jumper buried in Giza near the pyramid, or was that destroyed in Moebius Part 2. I can't seem to remember whether it was or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Watched it last night. Very enjoyable film. Leaps and bounds ahead of Ark of Truth. Nothing beats a good classic Goa'uld-centric storyline.

One thing I didn't get was
    Wouldn't the alternate timeline (which only branched off in 1939) still have had the time-jumper buried in Giza near the pyramid, or was that destroyed in Moebius Part 2. I can't seem to remember whether it was or not.
    but did the jumper have its own functioning Zero Power Supply? Didnt it require a ZPM? Either way they wouldn't have had time to execute that plan, or anyone in their team that had the ATA gene and/or the training to callibrate, repair and use the Time Machine. Besides it would have felt like recycled TV.

What I enjoyed was the Cellphone :) what a nice touch. Ba'al always did have a sense of Humour.

And Katesh actually did ok, and had her moments. I liked the knife scene. But my heart was stolen away by the air combat and possibly the fact that this is the first time in 11 years carter has been in a proper fighter jet. And god, they were beautiful.

I liked it, it felt like a classy extended episode but sure, I'll buy the DVD for the sake of donation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

That was bloody brilliant! Best SG1 outing in years imo.

A few thoughts
    Daniel says shít! ... twice! awesome.

The RDA cameo was rather disappointing, but still nice to him making appearances and hope next time (if there's a next time) he get's a more substantial role, I've always wanted to see O'Neill and Mitchell pair up on a mission (well Sheppard is also involved in this little fantasy, but that probably wont happen :D ) It'd be interesting for their characters to have some screen time together.

The CGI was really top notch, some of the scenes in the fighters, or when Washington gets rained on from above were just amazing.

It actually felt like a film this time around, and more like a proper SG1 adventure. Never bought into the whole Ori story arc, the painful search for ancient weaponry was tedious at best, going back to SG1's roots with the Goa'uld was the best direction they could have taken, and even though I was hesitant about another time travel story they really pulled it off and made it quite an interesting watch.

Overall, I really really enjoyed this and will definitely be buying the dvd, if they could keep up the quality to this standard I'd love to see more SG1 films, but if not I'm happy with how it ended, the Goa'uld once and for all are gone, end of an era.

So it's evident the writers enjoy time travel stories, now the question arises where do they go from here? If there's to be anymore films I wonder what approach they're going to take?

robby^5 wrote: »
    So it's evident the writers enjoy time travel stories, now the question arises where do they go from here?
    moon.gif

We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    For they ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Time travel/alternative universes always make for the best episodes. The same is true for Star Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was the only one who was disappointed by this then, I take it? Great story and all that, for what it was, but pressing the reset button at the end and making the entire thing pointless is something that annoys me. Like the final Stargate episode, it was just pointless.

Things that annoyed me.
    Jack seemed like an ignorant shit in the alt timeline.
    How did Mitchel get back to Earth in 1929? The Stargate was buried under the capstone in the desert at the time.
    When Katesh arrived at the time travel planet, she sent down wave after wave of soldiers, why? She shouldn't have expected anyone to be there.
    If Baal changed the timeline, then SG1 wouldn't have had a chance to get back through the gate. They would simply have ceased to be there. Especially Mitchell, since he was never even born.
    In previous episodes, when there were two people from alternate timelines living in the one universe, they experienced headaches and all sorts of problems. In this, there were two Daniels, but no problems. Ignoring the story lines of past episodes, silly.
    Pressing the reset button, so very very annoying.

I would have preferred something that wasn't completely undone at the end.

Baals time travel chamber will still be out there somewhere, in this reality, it was only destroyed in the alt timeline. I wonder will the Michell that traveled back leave information about where it is, or even that it exists, for future films?

I did like seeing Baal back at his usual bad ass, and often funny, self. The fight scenes and ships attacking were very good too.
    DingChavez wrote:
    Time travel/alternative universes always make for the best episodes.
    Usually yes, but not in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wheresdbeef

I don't know if I was watching the same film as you guys but I thought it was an awful. I'm a big SG1 fan and as hard as it is to say i thought AOT was better, which isn't saying too much for Continuum.
    It didnt seem like a movie at all it felt more like a needlessly long but rushed Episode

• Advertisement

but what a needlessly long-rushed episode it was! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Just one thought...
    Does Baal not still live?, as pointed out 4 where killed but there was 5.

1. Ball Shot before they leave the tokra home world (clone)
    2. Split in 1/2 (real baal)
    3. Shot in the head (real baal) - on a side note this was very dissapointing he didnt get in a last word like Apophis
    4. Extracted

The 5th one is the one who exited in 1939 when the real baal went back in time, in order to establish a power base and not confuse the other gouald there could only be one baal, meaning baal must have made contact with himself in the past, i doubt very much he killed past himself because that would be too much or a parradox so i assume he just went "we ****ed up - lost go hide on this planet encase i **** up as well type of thing?"

i dont know im just guessing but there where not 2 baals in the altered timeline and baal would have no reason to kill his past self

User45701 wrote: »
    Just one thought...
    Does Baal not still live?, as pointed out 4 where killed but there was 5.

1. Ball Shot before they leave the tokra home world (clone)
    2. Split in 1/2 (real baal)
    3. Shot in the head (real baal) - on a side note this was very dissapointing he didnt get in a last word like Apophis
    4. Extracted

The 5th one is the one who exited in 1939 when the real baal went back in time, in order to establish a power base and not confuse the other gouald there could only be one baal, meaning baal must have made contact with himself in the past, i doubt very much he killed past himself because that would be too much or a parradox so i assume he just went "we ****ed up - lost go hide on this planet encase i **** up as well type of thing?"

i dont know im just guessing but there where not 2 baals in the altered timeline and baal would have no reason to kill his past self
    My head hurts. I'll try and figure that all out later, but I think I'll need a pen and paper.

I think I figured it out: leave aside the multiple baals for a minute.

Baal goes back in time so you get the Marty mcFly paradox. Meaning in 1939 there are 2 baals: 2008 baal (all others exist in the current 2008 timeleine) and the original 1939 baal.

I just assume baal killed his 1939 self. Why share power?

It depends on what theory of time you follow: the Back to the Future theory of erasing yourself from history has a lot of holes. without getting into the quantum physics of it: killing his 1939 self would not erase his 2008 self.

<_<

>_>

User, shut the fuck up.

The theory they seem to favour in Stargate is that of multiple universes, or multiverse. This means that if Baal from 2008 travels back to 1939, kills the Ball in that time, he would now be creating a new universe, with the decisions made here only effecting this that universe. The 2008 that SG1 were in still exists, just in a different universe. This is accounted for by the Many Worlds Theory, and apparently verified by John Titor.

It would all hurt your head though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

jor el wrote: »
    The theory they seem to favour in Stargate is that of multiple universes, or multiverse. This means that if Baal from 2008 travels back to 1939, kills the Ball in that time, he would now be creating a new universe, with the decisions made here only effecting this that universe. The 2008 that SG1 were in still exists, just in a different universe. This is accounted for by the Many Worlds Theory, and apparently verified by John Titor.

Then why did people start disappearing. If the Baal's actions didn't affect the timeline in the first part of the film then surely nobody would have disappeared.

Then why did people start disappearing.

Because it's Science Fiction. They can't always get it right. Everything's gonna have plotholes. If you find that to be the most unbelievable thing about Stargate, I'd love to hear your take on hyperdrives, humans populating most of the known universe, alien symbiodes, pyramid langing sites, etc. Even the gate itself ffs.

Then why did people start disappearing. If the Baal's actions didn't affect the timeline in the first part of the film then surely nobody would have disappeared.

Thats it - I'm done. *cough* GREAT MOVIE EVERYONE. -_-

jor el wrote: »

This is how i precieve time and space, that each alteration/incursion caused by whatever creates a new universe/dimension
    Because it's Science Fiction. They can't always get it right. Everything's gonna have plotholes. If you find that to be the most unbelievable thing about Stargate, I'd love to hear your take on hyperdrives, humans populating most of the known universe, alien symbiodes, pyramid langing sites, etc. Even the gate itself ffs.

Well...

What should have happened was when vala left things would be MASSIVLY different, im not sure if they would even be allive without her, they should have all vanished not one at a time, that was quote stupid.

Hyperdrives? they make sence dont they? i know folding space is more logical buts its not that hard to wrap your head around go faster than light = hyperdrive.

humans populating the univerce has been well explined....
    the origion of the goulad symbiots was also explained.

Pyrimad landing sites is not something that they focus on it was in the orginal movie so they keep true to that instead of chainging established cannon.

I think its good as a whole but i would have liked to have seen more of a role for apophis and the other gouauld and for baal not to have been killed by ketesh.

The last few seasons they have really played down the role of the sarcophagi havent they? i know the tocra dont use them because it makes you "bad" but thats after prolonged use

An inconsistency, without which the film would have no basis. Rather than having people disappear, they should have left the Tok'Ra homeworld through the stargate, and when they arrive on the other side, everything be different. This would be more realistic (if time travel can be realistic), as the timeline could just have been altered while they were in transit, and hence not effected by it.

The idea that when someone altered the past, that people would just start vanishing, as they didn't exist here anymore, but still be remembered by everyone, is a bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

You missed the biggest and hardest to explain away plot hole, all humans speak english.

After putting off watching the film till I got the Blu Ray I have to admit that I made the right choice. For the past few weeks I've been sorely tempted to just get it over with but each time I sat down I said "No, I'm going to do this properly" and I am so glad that I did.

Continuum is not only a far superior film than Ark but it's also as good as any of the truly great early episodes. I laughed, punched the air, got teary eyed and am planning on sitting down to watch it again. It was a thoroughly entertaining 95 minutes and hopefully we will get at least one more film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

I really really enjoyed Continuum.

My favourite scene was the meeting in the hangar with Landry, and his speech - the "how dare you assume your timeline is right and mine is wrong" one. It's a point that doesn't get made often enough in time-travel stories, and I think it really sank into the characters. Probably why they accepted their exile so meekly.

Didn't stop them changing time first chance they got, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Finally seen it.

Very entertaining, though I don't see myself buying it.

The best bits for me were the new Ba'al...have to admit, it's a system lord plot device that could have been good. And ofcourse the CGI and battle scenes.
    The bits that I didn't like were the poxy reset switch, the pointless dead character plugs and Jacks death/appearance seemed very forced.

Alos not worthy, I felt that the whole submarine thing was totally over-hyped. I was so uinder-whelmed with that...and the invasion too.

7000000 country miles better than AOT but I don't see myself buying it any time soon.

ok so whern they find baal's temperal device the only window was 192?

Anyway when he went back in time to before baal arrived, before gate was being shipped to the U.S would it not have been to early?

How do we know that the gate was unearthed at that time and also where was it being kept that noone saw Cameron come though? its been established from the very beginning that they knew it was very old from the carbon dating and the movie itself says they thought at the time it was a weapon so why would it have been unguarded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i enjoyed it
    just watched it

as for all the things you say above about story plot line.........

" Its make beleave "

god damm if jack o neil saw you guys say this hed say something like

*yawn*

cake

Advertisement