Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoopid eBay takin all my wages.....

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. My name is Ali and I have an eBay addiction :(

I keep buying lovely dresses that I have nowhere to wear them to! Coast and Monsoon for half the price ftw!!

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

And I hope I'm not alone in my strange addiction!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Only my natural stinginess is stopping me from being addicted to eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I swore today that I would stop buying things on e-bay that I just do not need. I've already had to smack myself to stop myself from buying a few more books. It hurts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

(stands up) My name is PurplePrincess and I too have an ebay addiction.

I was stuck at home for 3 weeks so i spent the whole time just ebaying, it was the only thing that kept me sane. Postman wasn't the happiest camper though, some days he could have 7-8 parcels for me.

Also love the Coast and Monsoon dresses, such bargains to be had. Just need to get invited to a few more weddings race days etc to get the wear.

Embrace your addiction!!! It could be a worse one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

eBay feedback rating of ~470... is that a bad sign?:o
    Though I don't buy clothing on it, what would you lot do if you got something and it didn't actually fit, just re-eBay it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I've never used eBay.

I don't like the idea of sending out my money into cyberspace in exchange for a product that I won't see for days, or weeks.

Just this week I purchased tickets online and I won't be able to relax until I have them in my hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FlexiLexi

im an ebay addict. there is nothing wrong with a bitta ebaying at all!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

My name is Beany and im an ebay addict too. :D

I think I am an ebay binger. Dont go near it for ages and then go nuts altogether.

I fixed this problem. I bankrupted myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eBay is the only way to go. At this stage, I often reach for the laptop rather than heading into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

My Name is Spider and I am a recovering eBay addict! I used to have an account with a feedback of over 1200! (98% Positive I might add!) Now I use it to get things you can't get here or things that are cheaper. I have just got a iPhone clone for €70!

I don't do the auction bit though I use buy now, as I tend to get carried away and end up paying too much! There is help ladies, (and gents!) enjoy it, but just be careful out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I used to have a bit of an addiction, and I can feel myself lately slipping back into it... Im resisting but there are so many bargains...

fox_ebay-snipe.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I wish i had money for eBay to take :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I like window shopping on Ebay, and do bid on some things. Not clothes though, as i like to try them on, more old fashioned jewellery and things like buttons and knitting supplies.

I did find myself getting a little like the cartoon above, and having to consciously take a step back from it all. I'd be watching the end of auctions and getting really riled up if i got sniped at the last minute. :mad: But, now i'm very zen about it and log in after the end of an auction with a "if i didn't get it, it's not the end of the world".

The language of Ebay is seductive though, we don't buy something, we "win it". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Used to use it a lot until I found out that as an Irish bidder buyer protection doesn't cover me for anything bought in the US (and possbily anything outside Ireland, not sure), and even then not all of it.
    Then theres the fact that when it says €1000 protection, that's a €1000 fund for everyone that buyer scams, as buyers who got scammed for over a million found out to their dismay whn they each received a share that didn't even cover the postage on their imaginary laptops.
    Still bid on occasion but only with seller that are proper shops.

It does cover you for anyhting you buy with paypal kowloon, I have sucessfully got my money refunded from paypal when I didn't get/got something different.

There was actually a report on eBay on something like the real hustle or something, this guy got some old rope and tried to sell it on eBay. (money for old rope!) He did! But after paying the fees, posting it and setting up a paypal account he only made about €5. In the end he said the only people that make money on eBay are eBay!

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    It does cover you for anyhting you buy with paypal kowloon, I have sucessfully got my money refunded from paypal when I didn't get/got something different.

Only if the seller still has a paypal account, if they scam a bunch of people at once, close their account and run you're fooked.
    Paypal also have a minimum on what they cover, I think it's something like $20.
    I see they're trying to fix things; they've done away with sellers being able to give you revenge feedback. They must be getting worried about the bad publicity building up, with enough capital for a marketing campaign another auction site could poach a decent portion of their members with some good policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

DJ_Spider wrote: »

Same here. Paypal FTW!!!
    I refuse to buy anything on eBay if the seller doesn't have a Paypal account, and since many other online sites accept Paypal as a payment option few people don't these days if they do any dealings online I find, so if a seller didn't at this stage I'd be really suspicious of them.

And yeah DJ, as per that cartoon I hate snipers too, don't mind so much if it's someone who'd at least already bid on the item, but when it's someone who just comes out of no-where:mad:. One of the failings of eBay, since at least in RL auctions the auction gets extended so you can throw in another bid should you wish to. I sometimes get paranoid about sellers using shill bidding if I put in the real amount I'd be willing to pay from the outset, same reason why I almost never buy second chance offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

i forgot my ebay and paypall passwords...its saved me a fortune!

• Advertisement

The best on;ine auction site system I done ever saw was a US DOD clearance site.
    Whenever a new higher bid came in the auction time was extended, worked perfectly and you never felt like you had lost out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I wish i had money for eBay to take :(

ya really don't.

i got paid last friday, one third of my monthly wage has gone on stuff from ebay.

anyone want to set up an eBay annoyomous?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Cremo wrote: »
    anyone want to set up an eBay annoyomous?

:pac: yes!

Got home from work this evening.....in the postbox there was a letter from the postman telling me there are TWO packages waiting in the sorting office for me! :D YAY!

I like this bit :D The receiving of the gifts! :D

Advertisement