Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic fails for test?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a list anywhere for automatic fails for a test? I've mine in the morning.. Stuff like driving out over stop sign, not checking mirrors in appropiate situations, etc..?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A grade 3 is anything considered Dangerous, Potentially Dangerous or a total disregard of traffic controls. It's hard to come up with a list as such, as there are so many. Things such as breaking red traffic lights, not stopping at a stop sign, excessively breaking the speed limit are obvious ones. Not checking blind spots when required to do so, such during the reverse around the corner manoeuvre, you must check over your right shoulder before turning the wheel to begin the turn as the front of the car will swing out. Things like that. I could go on but i think you get the idea. Post back with any more questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ok - Seems they are just the obvious things that my instructor already went over with me. My friend failed his test for checking his mirrors "too much". It's things like this that I was kind of worried about that I had never thought of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Observation, Anticipation, Courtesy, Common sense. Apply these in the morning and you'll be fine. Everything else you already know just relax.

Alright, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dlofnep wrote: »
    My friend failed his test for checking his mirrors "too much".

This is a very common mistake. People, perhaps down to nerves, or otherwise, over do their observation and spend more time looking in their mirrors than on the road, which is absolutely lethal. As my father said on my first day driving, "no matter what happens, it's what's infront of you that counts, everything else comes second.". I always thought that was great advise.
    Well, hope all goes well and be sure to post back with the good news;).
    Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alright, wish me luck!
    Good luck tomorrow Penfold!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Anyone have a list anywhere for automatic fails for a test?
    Thanks.

Crashing the car:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Good luck in your test!!

My friend failed hers in Arklow because she hit the curb when she was reversing around the corner. Apparently the tester made her reverse back a good bit and it was just before he told her to stop when she hit the curb. I believe they only make you reverse back further if they feel you haven't got full control of the car and you're constantly turning the wheel all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It would depend on whether it was the candidates fault or not. I think my brother had an accident in his B test. If I recall correctly, he and the examiner had to walk back to the test centre to get his Certificate of Competency. I must ask him the next time I see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I applied for my test in tallaght as i work next door to the sgs test center and the rsa one isa couple of miutes away.

ive seen one crash on a test as they were pulling out of the enterance of the sgs test center.

theres been 2 crashes at that center as ppl have been just pulling out in th elast 2 weeks.

adds to the nerves.

• Advertisement

I passed! Go raibh maith agaibh gach duine! Delighted lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Good one! Well done. I was just about to wish you luck there. :D

Keep up those good habits now, they'll continue to keep you out of trouble ;)

Thanks buddy :) The relief of not having to worried about getting stopped on a provisional is satisfying!

Thanks buddy :) The relief of not having to worried about getting stopped on a provisional is satisfying!

Ain't it though! :P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SakisP

Will the window on the tester's side be a problem if it's out of order? It never opened since we got the car, I can only open it from my side

Nah, they don't need to open the window. You need to open yours to do the hand signals. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The tester used his window a few times during my test. To be safe, you should have it working - don't wanna annoy your tester...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SakisP

Bluefoam, exactly my point, not that it is as critical as indicators and break lights but... but don't want to give him any reason to be annoyed, being nervous a lot.

SakisP wrote: »
    Bluefoam, exactly my point, not that it is as critical as indicators and break lights but... but don't want to give him any reason to be annoyed, being nervous a lot.

You can always offer to open it for him if he tries it (hope you get a wet day :D) If your car passed the NCT like that then he won't care. If he does and he's already in the car with you at worst he'll feel he should have spotted it before the end of the mechanical checks section of the test.

Main thing is though, don't think about it and certainly don't worry about it. His job is "driving tester" not "window tester", he'll be testing your driving. Much as some folks like to scare you with stories of demonic testers, testers are just people. Drive as you should, according to the rules, have good observation and he'll probably be so relieved you're not as bad as the useless hoor he had in the car yesterday he'll be quite content to just mark the faults you make.

The test is designed to penalise bad habits not the odd error, that's why you can have up to 4 grade 2 faults in any one area. 4 times in 40 mins suggests a habit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Well done, Always good to hear of a pass!

Advertisement