Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi are on the way

Options
  • 02-07-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Apparently Aldi are due to open in Hebron Industrial Estate.

Always found Aldi to be slightly better quality than Lidl...And with the economy on its last legs (or so we're told), the German discounter might shake up the other supermarkets in the city.

Article from the KK People:
    MULTI MILLION shopping centre is planned for the Hebron Industrial Estate in the city.

Kilkenny developer Menesiah is teaming up with German supermarket giants Aldi to develop a 9,792 square metres mixed use development in the Hebron Industrial Estate.

The plans include a five-storey block, comprising 2,226 square metres of retail units at ground and mezzanine level as well as offices on the upper floor.

Aldi will be located in a second block along with five other shops, two retail warehouses with a combined space of 2,775 square metres. There will also be a gym, medical centre and office space in the second building.

A children’s play facility is also planned as is parking for 428 cars. Half of the car parking will be provided at partial basement level and the remaining car spaces will be at surface level.

The proposed new development will be located on a 1.7 hectare site and will be strategically located to take advantage of the M9 motorway which will have an intersection at nearby Duninga.

Derry McPhilips is behind the venture. He is also involved in a 350 million euro development at Trinity Wharf in Wexford. A decision on the proposed development can be inspected at the county council offices on John Street and a decision is expected by August 14.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nice one. Anything that shakes up the existing grocery cartel here is good for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Good stuff.
    They always seem to have far more electronics than Lidl and anytime I'm in Carlow I find myself popping in. More jobs is a definite positive for the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But will vested interests on the council block this development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah. Still no Tesco :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

When will the dictatorship of dunnes end!!! *falls down on knees cursing to the sky* A tad bit over dramatic but you get the point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Firetrap wrote: »

Good - Tesco is over-rated and over priced.

It will only end when people stop electing vested interests to the borough council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It will only end when people stop electing vested interests to the borough council.
    +1

Lidl copied Aldi's layout and no-frills shop style.. Aldi is cheap because they have less overheads.. Lidl is cheap because their stock is cheap and has less quality..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Seriously, people on this forum complaining about no Tesco need to cop on. Tesco is not very good, don't fool yourselves. Tesco is just as expensive as Dunnes. It's only when ye get one ye will realise it.

Why not take a spin to Clonmel or Waterford and see for yourselves, anything to just stop the cribbing lads!

Why take the trip to go shopping??? kinda pointless. But it comes to this. It should be a choice. Dunnes are the only real one here, not to many go to lidell cos it's just not aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to go to Tesco all the time when I lived in Carlow, found it much better than Dunnes. Meh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure Dunnes will do their best to stop this, just like Supervalue did their very best to stop Tesco in Callan....supervalue in Callan has a very poor selection of stock imho

Yes Tesco's is not any cheaper then Dunnes but its all about choice and from choice comes competition and eventually lower prices, what we need is a supermarket price war!

I frequently shop in Tesco when I'm back home visiting the parents or I'm in Carlow. It's no more overpriced than Dunnes or Superquinn (now there's an expensive supermarket). They carry a far better range of stuff than Dunnes or Superquinn and their own-brand stuff is great.

Tesco and Dunne's are both in the same boat. But to be honest I don't mind spending a little extra in Superquinn to be guaranteed quality and excellent service.

I would be delighted to have Aldi and Tesco here in town. It would cement the fact that we are still a major force in the south east.

And of course, if it means more jobs then it's definitely a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Seriously, people on this forum complaining about no Tesco need to cop on. Tesco is not very good, don't fool yourselves. Tesco is just as expensive as Dunnes. It's only when ye get one ye will realise it.

Why not take a spin to Clonmel or Waterford and see for yourselves, anything to just stop the cribbing lads!

You say they're no better than Dunnes, I say they are no worse. My preference is for tesco they have nicer stuff than Dunnes or supervalue. (IMO)

I would be delighted to have Aldi and Tesco here in town. It would cement the fact that we are still a major force in the south east.

And of course, if it means more jobs then it's definitely a positive.

What do you mean by 'major force'? It's not the CIA we are!

Also, more jobs but only more low paid jobs..we should learn from all the job losses in manufacturing in this country of late, we need to up-skill to get better higher paid and longer term employment...just my tuppence worth...

Yes we are. :p
    I meant the retail industry. We really have had a poor selection of retail outlets in the city the last couple of years, but with the new shopping center and large retail chains coming in (hopefully), options are improving and the city is moving forward.
    Also, more jobs but only more low paid jobs..we should learn from all the job losses in manufacturing in this country of late, we need to up-skill to get better higher paid and longer term employment...just my tuppence worth...

Low-paid jobs are still jobs :)

Officially in a recession or did you miss that??? Nobody will complain about low paid jobs compared to dole

I don't think that the existence of supermarket jobs stops people from upskilling. There'll always be a need for those sort of jobs. People who want to upskill will find a way - the existance of Aldi or Tesco won't stop them. I wouldn't necessarily categorise supermarket jobs as lowly either. I know people who've worked as secretaries who've earned more in Dunnes. They're also a handy job for youngsters who are in school/college. Perhaps working in a supermarket might make them knuckle down and get good grades.

Perhaps we just wanna make money to go out drinking!!

Joke!

Teenagers and students need money for other things!
    and often a job can affect grades... and not always for the better..

I want any job and cant get one in kilkenny..its a pity because a 9-5 job would suit me perfectly.. even if it was in Aldi, personally i'd like to think i have more skills in Computers etc but at this rate i'd take anything that pays..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

KatCookie wrote: »
    Perhaps we just wanna make money to go out drinking!!

Joke!

Haha yeah with the prices as they are much easier to stay in and go drinking :)

true true..

guess Aldi should come to Kilkenny so we can afford it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

it's mad people in KK getting excited about ALDI coming now (and they probabaly haven't even got planning permission so I won't hold my breath) when they have stores open years ago in towns a fraction the size of Kilkenny :rolleyes:.

I would imagine htis land must be zoned commercial/ industrial so I wonder is there a rezoning involved.

I assume most other towns don't have the vested interests that Kilkenny has. Maybe some folk on this board don't like Tesco, Aldi etc. but people can decide for themselves where they'd rather shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

well thats your opinion anyway,personally i like tesco,food is that bit cheaper,and its nice.dont think anyone who wants a tesco needs to cop on,its just our preferance.each to their own i say.

*melanie* wrote: »
    well thats your opinion anyway,personally i like tesco,food is that bit cheaper,and its nice.dont think anyone who wants a tesco needs to cop on,its just our preferance.each to their own i say.

OK, maybe my using the words 'cop on' was not right, just that I am growing tired of people crying out for a Tesco like it's going to save our souls! These are the same people who want a Tesco because they want better competition while Tesco are linked to some very anti-competitive action everywhere they go. I think it was Channel 4 who did a documentary on the grasp Tesco has on many markets in the UK and forcing many independent retailers and local suppliers to wind up. An interesting fact came out of it, for every pound spent in the UK, one pound goes to a Tesco run business.

yes, you are right, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I assume most other towns don't have the vested interests that Kilkenny has. Maybe some folk on this board don't like Tesco, Aldi etc. but people can decide for themselves where they'd rather shop.

What or who exactly are the vested interests?

Dunnes Shareholders, Owners of shops etc.

Officially in a recession or did you miss that??? Nobody will complain about low paid jobs compared to dole

I love your use of the word 'Officially'! Yes times are going to get tighter but an economy needs to look into the long term future and develop for that, otherwise we will just learn to 'cope' in recessional times without building a framework through skills & education to hit the ground running when the recession lifts...and it will lift. If we don't then another country will and we will not attract the higher skilled jobs down the line.

Yes, low paid jobs are required but they should only be used as a stepping stone to something bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I heard it was going on the johnswell rd not Hebron. I think this would make more sense as its a mostly residential area. Shoppers wont drive into the hebron ind estate to do their shopping. Can anyone confirm where its going?

Advertisement