Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi are on the way

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

jiggajt wrote: »
    I heard it was going on the johnswell rd not Hebron. I think this would make more sense as its a mostly residential area. Shoppers wont drive into the hebron ind estate to do their shopping. Can anyone confirm where its going?

it's going on the hebron road, after the roundabout at the back of Nolan Park head for the ring road the site is just on the right hand side where the derlict buildings are, oppisite o loughlin gales, hope it gets the go ahead them buildings just look an eye soar.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did that Lidl in Thomastown open yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Not yet. I heard there's been a hiccup. Some sort of objections from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

mfitzy wrote:
    Did that Lidl in Thomastown open yet?
    Firetrap wrote:
    Not yet. I heard there's been a hiccup. Some sort of objections from somewhere.

It didn't get it's Liquer Licience & there's a problem with the access road it's higher than on the application & a neighbour objecting.

heard today the decision on aldi is been delayed pending more information :mad: good old county council............

• Advertisement

havin a look at kk county council web site, at last Aldi gets the go ahead along with a 57 bed hotel and 2 warehouse retail units at last some good news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Yeah they'd been putting the developers off until McDonagh Junction built up a bit of steam.;)

Roll on Aldi anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kind of nutjob wants to build a hotel in the current climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

There's a half built hotel in Urlingford if anyone wants to finish building it. Maybe they could call it the Black Butte Ranch Resort,

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

mick_irl wrote: »
    Good - Tesco is over-rated and over priced.

Tesco is very poor and getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Tesco is very poor and getting worse.

Agreed!

I've noticed that they are gradually reducing the amount of stock variety on the shelves...so much so, that I've given up shopping there. Dunnes and Supervalu all the way for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

there's a half built hotel in Urlingford if anyone wants to finish building it. Maybe they could call it the Black Butte Ranch Resort,

I think there was a problem with foundations OR they ran out of money, cant remember..

+1 on Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's also that hotel that was built in Ballyragget (WHY??) over a year ago which never opened. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I know the one. Has to have been a tax write-off or something. With all respect to Ballyragget, who in their right mind would stay in a hotel there?

is kilkenny finally to get an aldi or 2, a descision is due on the 9th of june from an bord pleanala aldi were granted permission few months ago for the site on the hebron road but appealed it because of stupid conditions put on it by the council here's hopping. And now they have aquired a site over in loughboy oppisite lidl desicion is due there on the 9th of august we could go from 0 to 2 in no lenght one either side of the city,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm curious as to where the entrance would be on the Loughboy site. Its opposite the estate where I live and its difficult enough to get in and out of there at the best of times. Still, Aldi is a lot more welcome than the scummy apartments that were proposed for the site.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=09318 from the planning notice the entrance would be from the waterford road

Sure our nearest neighbours have 2 Aldis since at least 4 or 5 years back now. About time KK caught up.
    The councils in Kilkenny are probaly not as stuck up their own arses now with planning as they clearly need rates and development charges from wherever they can get them now at this stage.

Anything that puts pressure on Super Valu in Loughboy is a good thing in my opinion. I like Super Valu but that branch I hate. Badly needs a serious upgrade. And a roundabout at the entrance, that is a disaster imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Super Valu in general are very poor value. People do not realise this.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Super Valu in general are very poor value. People do not realise this.

Well they have some very good stores. The one in Tullow springs to mind. Very well run, great range of fresh food and very pleasant, courteous staff ( not half asleep Transition year students :()

( not half asleep Transition year students :(
    Don't ever come to Rathdowney so. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

When is Aldi supposed to be opened?

just having a look at county council and an bord pleanala web sites seem they still cant make a decision between them,
    an bord pleanala, proposed decision date not available at this time for the aldi on hebron road,
    and kilkenny county council, would like more information,(ah the poor pets it a bloody supermarket)

just having a look at county council and an bord pleanala web sites seem they still cant make a decision between them,
    an bord pleanala, proposed decision date not available at this time for the aldi on hebron road,
    and kilkenny county council, would like more information,(ah the poor pets it a bloody supermarket)

Are you serious? I thought that had gotten planning already. Had a drive up the Hebron road and fully expected to see them working on the site; no such luck.

Maybe this amalgamation of county councils may not be such a bad thing; I believe Carlow is getting it's 4th Aldi now, out the road in Bagenalstown so will be even handier for Kilkenny people to go to.

I take it ALDI are still appealing the planning conditions here? Stupid council, haven't a clue :rolleyes:. Something as harmless as ALDI out in the Hebron road;they are in every other town for years and not a problem.

They should probably just abandon the Aldi idea and go with the old tried and tested Dunnes Stores, like they did in Mc Donagh Junction.

Kilkenny could do with a third Dunnes Stores.

Kilkenny could do with a third Dunnes Stores.
    You jest surely? More of those rip off merchants? No thanks.
    There was 3 Dunnes Stores all within half a mile of each other. One had to close.

I jest indeed. Wouldnt put it past them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You jest surely? More of those rip off merchants? No thanks.
    There was 3 Dunnes Stores all within half a mile of each other. One had to close.

There's three Dunnes Stores in Clonmel...

Advertisement