Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi are on the way

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

brettmirl wrote: »
    There's three Dunnes Stores in Clonmel...
    Absolute madness!

Then again if you believe the bulmers ads, I could understand their reasoning. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There's three Dunnes Stores in Clonmel...

If Dunnes had located strategically in Kilkenny; say another one out the Callan road or Loughboy then I've no doubt it would be viable. it was just having one in Parliament st, a stones throw from their big Kieran St. one that made no sense whatsoever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That Dunnes on High St. was more of a convenience store so I wouldn't really count it as a Dunnes (if you know what I'm getting at). It was there to pick up a couple of handy items instead of having to walk five minutes through a supermarket and qeue for another ten for a box of tea bags. Having the second Dunnes in MacDonagh is where the real balls up they've made is, as they are like for like stores.
    I think it's a pity that Aldi aren't coming for the moment as that side of town could do with a supermarket other than Eurospar.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

But that's the Dunnes way. They just go into a shopping centre, or hold up a retail unit to stop another chain coming in.

mfitzy wrote: »
    I take it ALDI are still appealing the planning conditions here? Stupid council, haven't a clue :rolleyes:. Something as harmless as ALDI out in the Hebron road;they are in every other town for years and not a problem.

FYI, from An Bord Pleanala website...no date down for decision as yet:

Kilkenny County Council

Mixed use development.

Case reference: PL10 .232618

Case type: Planning Appeal

Parties

Menesiah Ltd and Aldi Stores Irl Ltd. (Applicant)
    Menesiah Ltd and Aldi Stores Irl. Ltd. (Appellant) (Active)
    Fairhouse Ltd. (Appellant) (Active)
    History

04/02/2009: Lodged

• Advertisement

ALDI have gotten permission down in Callan according to Kilkenny People.
    Hopefully it will go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hopefully. With people losing jobs, it doesn't make sense to knock the likes of Aldi and Tesco on the head if they are willing to set up new stores in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ALDI have gotten permission down in Callan according to Kilkenny People.
    Hopefully it will go ahead.

I'm shocked to hear this, Tesco tried but the Supervalue in the town kept objecting.

When ALDI open in Callan the supervalue is really going to feel it, finally they'll have some competition!

Here's the Kilkenny People story - http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Aldi-gets-permission-in-Callan.5749911.jp
    DISCOUNT food retailer Aldi has received planning permission for a store in Callan.
    Local Cllr Matt Doran (FF) welcomed the news, especially amidst the current economic downturn. “I certainly welcome this development, and particularly in the present climate I welcome its imminent arrival,” he said of the development which has been
    ADVERTISEMENT
    in the works for nearly two years.

The application submitted to Kilkenny County Council by Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd sought permission for a development at Cannafahy, Callan consisting “of a single storey licensed discount foodstore with a gross floor area of 1,576 sq.metres (net retail area of 1,125 sq. metres); associated signage including the erection of one free-standing double-sided internally illuminated pole sign at the north west corner of the site and one internally illuminated gable end sign; associated landscaping, boundary treatments to include the erection of a new 2 metre palladine fence along the western and southern site boundary, 750mm high knee rail fence along the northern and eastern boundary and all ancillary site development works.

“The development includes a pumping station (7 sq m. GFA) located to the south of the Aldi store. The development will be served by 95 no. surface level car parking spaces and 12 no. bicycle parking spaces with a new vehicular access and road developed from the R698 (Windgap Road). This road will serve the Aldi store and the pumping station. The maximum height of the development is approximately 6 metres. The subject site has an area of 0.83 ha.”

They will certainly have to do some road developments where they are planning to build as if alot of traffic was coming in and out of there it could be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Groovy, they usually throw up these stores pretty quick!

ALDI alos applied to build in Loughboy across from Lidl. Wonder how that is coming along permission wise :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

an bord pleanala has made a descision on aldi on the hebron road but details wont be known before the 18th of nov, hope its the right descision

232618: Area 1 Hebron Industrial Estate, Hebron Road, Kilkenny. (08/859) [Decided]
    Decision: Case has been decided, details will not be available before 18-Nov-2009

Date lodged: 2009-02-04 ; decided: 2009-11-13

Mixed use development.

ALDI finally won there appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thesocial

232618: Area 1 Hebron Industrial Estate, Hebron Road, Kilkenny. (08/859) [Decided]
    Decision: Case has been decided, details will not be available before 18-Nov-2009

Date lodged: 2009-02-04 ; decided: 2009-11-13

Any update?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Lookd like its been granted with revised conditions:

232618: Area 1 Hebron Industrial Estate, Hebron Road, Kilkenny. (08/859)

Kilkenny County Council
    Mixed use development.
    Case reference: PL10 .232618
    Decision: Grant permission with revised conditions
    Date Signed: 13/11/2009
    Parties
    • Menesiah Ltd and Aldi Stores Irl Ltd. (Applicant)
    • Firhouse Ltd. (Appellant) (Active)
    • Menesiah Ltd and Aldi Stores Irl. Ltd. (Appellant) (Active)
    • Fairhouse Ltd. (Appellant) (Active)
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/232618.htm

Hope this gets going soon and we won't have to go to Carlow just for ALDI!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thesocial

Thats two of us...probably could mange to run a bus there once a week at this stage :)

Anyone know whether work will be proceeding on any of these ALDIs any time soon?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You could go to Clonmel? :pac:

Just reading this am I right in assuming somebody has appealed Aldi's planning for Callan?

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/235276.htm
    Kilkenny County Council

Discount food store, associated signage, landscaping, boundary treatment and site works, 95 no. car parking spaces, 12 bicycle spaces, new access.

Case reference: PL10 .235276

Parties

* Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd. (Applicant)

* Linda Cahill. (Appellant) (Active)
    * RGDATA. (Appellant) (Active)

History

* 10/11/2009: Lodged

Given RGDATA is involved it suggests a small shop owner is appealing the planning which is here - http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=09262

The document on the Kilkenny Co Co website says Linda Cahill isn't even a resident in Callan as it states "4. Linda Cahill c/o Coleman Cotter & Co., Sullane House, Great Island Business Park, Ballincollig, Co. Cork", so how can she be allowed appeak or is she along with RG Data appealing on behalf of somebody else or are Coleman Cotter & Co merely handling it on her behalf?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just reading this am I right in assuming somebody has appealed Aldi's planning for Callan?

Given RGDATA is involved it suggests a small shop owner is appealing the planning which is here - http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=09262

The document on the Kilkenny Co Co website says Linda Cahill isn't even a resident in Callan as it states "4. Linda Cahill c/o Coleman Cotter & Co., Sullane House, Great Island Business Park, Ballincollig, Co. Cork", so how can she be allowed appeak or is she along with RG Data appealing on behalf of somebody else or are Coleman Cotter & Co merely handling it on her behalf?

Why am I not surprised...presumably somebody working on behalf of the local Super Valu monopoly. Same thing happened Tesco out there I think. Lets hope vested interests don't get their own way once again.

Coleman Cotter & Co are Consulting Engineers, so I am assuming they are a front for the real objectors.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Coleman Cotter & Co are Consulting Engineers, so I am assuming they are a front for the real objectors.

I googled Colman Cotter and that names turns up for a lot of planning applications on behalf of SuperValu/Centra stores around the country.

Yep the real objector is Linda Cahil and RGData...RGDATA is and I quote from their website
    RGDATA is the representative organisation for independent family grocers in Ireland.

This would almost not suggest supervalue and might perhaps suggest a smaller local shop...the closest to the site is the service station near the fire station so it might be them objecting.
    I googled Colman Cotter and that names turns up for a lot of planning applications on behalf of SuperValu/Centra stores around the country.

This is interesting alright, I'm going to do a little work and find out who Linda Cahill is.

This has got to stop, supervalue are trying to protect their monopoly and the expense of the community and jobs.

I'd assumed that Linda Cahill works for Musgraves/SuperValu/Centra?

If you look here - http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Callan%20Draft%20Submissions%20Managers%20Report%20FINAL.pdf - At the Callan Local Area Plan, submissions were made by: "Colman Cotter & Co; On behalf of: Mr. Dermot McCabe, Supervalu, Callan"

That would be the assumption alright which I'd say is likely 100% correct.
    If you look here - http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Callan%20Draft%20Submissions%20Managers%20Report%20FINAL.pdf - At the Callan Local Area Plan, submissions were made by: "Colman Cotter & Co; On behalf of: Mr. Dermot McCabe, Supervalu, Callan"

Dermot McCabe is down as Store Manager as confirmed by the Supervalu website
    http://supervalu.ie/store_locator/store.641.226.store.html

What a shambles. I'd say if you polled the majority of the locals in a town like Callan they would be overwhelmingly in favour of the extra choice Aldi will bring. It shouldnot be allowed that a vested interest stop this. Look at Bagenalstown and Tullow; similar sizes to Callan really and guess what have/or getting Aldis.
    This has to be highlighted in the media for what it is; blatant protectionism and pure vested interest.

What a shambles. I'd say if you polled the majority of the locals in a town like Callan they would be overwhelmingly in favour of the extra choice Aldi will bring. It shouldnot be allowed that a vested interest stop this. Look at Bagenalstown and Tullow; similar sizes to Callan really and guess what have/or getting Aldis.
    This has to be highlighted in the media for what it is; blatant protectionism and pure vested interest.

I'd agree if the Kilkenny People was worth its salt at all they'd run this farce as a story.....unlikely to happen as they won't want to upset their advertsers :rolleyes:

If the Kilkenny People won't touch it then the local TD's should be looking into it, put it to the vote of the people in the town after all its them it affects not just one vested interest

I'd agree if the Kilkenny People was worth its salt at all they'd run this farce as a story.....unlikely to happen as they won't want to upset their advertsers :rolleyes:

If the Kilkenny People won't touch it then the local TD's should be looking into it, put it to the vote of the people in the town after all its them it affects not just one vested interest

Unfortunately not. And since it's own monopoly has resumed it has gotten worse. It is a piece of rubbish frankly and I get most of my local news on internet forums like this now. Take for instance the M9 motorway, the biggest piece of infrastructure ever in the county; one would assume they would run regular updates for the locals; not a hope!! Might get a scant mention here and there but nothing we didn't know already.

There has been uproar in neighbouring Bagenlalstown over local objectors blocking Lidl to the town. Has recieved a lot of coverage in the Carlow Nationalist. Callan is no different but yet the KK People fails once again to cover the news. I hope they are reading this btw

You could go to Clonmel? :pac:

Too far away unfortunately :(

Without a doubt it's the local Super Valu. They blocked tesco as well. Any time I'm in Callan any time I will make it my business to boycott them in future.

• Advertisement

Without a doubt it's the local Super Valu. They blocked tesco as well. Any time I'm in Callan any time I will make it my business to boycott them in future.
    If it is really him, why use a shill to make the objection?

Advertisement