Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi are on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If it is really him, why use a shill to make the objection?

Possibly to amke it less obvious to the locals. And also probaably needs someone with a legal/planning area of expertise to defend their monopoly at the expense of everyone else. All the while guised as "protecting the heart of the rural town and fabric of the community" non sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mfitzy wrote: »
    Callan is no different but yet the KK People fails once again to cover the news. I hope they are reading this btw

They will read this as we've seen before when they've used boards.ie to create content for their newspaper
    Without a doubt it's the local Super Valu. They blocked tesco as well. Any time I'm in Callan any time I will make it my business to boycott them in future.

They were indeed one of the causes for Tesco's not getting planning permission and giving up in the end. Tesco's would have brought alot of extra business into the town....so short sighted :(

In relation to supervalu and the community, when they opened in the 1980's they had a huge affect on local small shops in the town.....they were not very community interested when they did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I wholeheartly agree. Free trade works both ways.

God, I LOVE captialism. Street justice unwittingly laid down by the consumers in their insatiable search of a bloody good bargain is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Without a doubt it's the local Super Valu. They blocked tesco as well. Any time I'm in Callan any time I will make it my business to boycott them in future.

Dermot McCabe is the part owner of Supervalue in Callan, so it's no surprise that he's objecting again, possibly if I was in his position I'd do the same thing but the final decision lays with the planners. Tesco was denided not because Supervalue objected but because where they wanted to build wasn't within the scope of the county development plan.I've heard this have changed since but I think Tesco's mind has changed as well.

Most objections are thrown out by the planners but if you've got enough money and influence you can make it very difficult and awkward for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

Look at Bagenalstown and Tullow; similar sizes to Callan really and guess what have/or getting Aldis.

With populations of just over and just under 3,000 respectively I think both B'town and Tullow are significantly larger than Callan (pop. c. 1,700). The extra 1,300 people makes the comparison less credible.

I think there are very few towns in Ireland with a population as relatively small as Callan's that have a Lidl or Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

With populations of just over and just under 3,000 respectively I think both B'town and Tullow are significantly larger than Callan (pop. c. 1,700). The extra 1,300 people makes the comparison less credible.

You sure about your population count for Callan?

Callan has had alot of new developments spring up within the last 10 years so the pop is likely bigger then this, in addition you have to take into account the very large catchment area Callan would cover.

Its actually a pretty ideal place for a Aldi due to this regardless of the actual pop of Callan itself, obviously it must be a pretty attractive place considering Tesco and Aldi have both put in for planning in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Cabaal wrote: »
    You sure about your population count for Callan?

According to the last Census -
    Main Towns Total Population (incl Suburbs or Environs)
    Kilkenny 22,179
    Thomastown 1,837
    Callan 1,771
    Caslecomer-Donaguile 1,531
    Graiguenamanagh - Tinnahinch (pt) 1,097
    Ballyragget 1,014
    Mooncoin 1,002

Source: Census 2006

Main Towns Total Population (including Suburbs
    or Environs)

Carlow 20,724
    Tullow 3,048
    Muinebeag 2,735

And then from the KK County Council website:
    With regard to the high levels of recent population growth in the town, some considered that population projections of 25% growth to the year 2020 were too low having regard to the recent scale of growth. However, others considered the levels of growth witnessed in recent years to be unprecedented and unlikely to continue. It was further considered that new residents to the town have integrated fairly well however this would be more evident when children of new residents start attending school in Callan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The population in the outlying areas not classed as urban will not be included in those figures. Considering the catchment area of Callan that is going to be considerable.

The population in the outlying areas not classed as urban will not be included in those figures. Considering the catchment area of Callan that is going to be considerable.

The figures on the County Council website for Callan Urban + Callan Rural add up to 2,363.

Fair enough about the census although its based on three year old data :)

Whats classed as Urban though?, when I say catchment area I'm also including placeslike Windgap who would likely go to Aldi Callan then Clonmel as it would be closer, :)

Its clear Aldi and Tesco are taking these areas (and likely further afield) into account as well.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough about the census although its based on three year old data :)

Whats classed as Urban though?, when I say catchment area I'm also including placeslike Windgap who would likely go to Aldi Callan then Clonmel as it would be closer, :)

Its clear Aldi and Tesco are taking these areas (and likely further afield) into account as well.

Have a play with this: http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/website/Census2006/CountyKilkennyPopulationProfilebasedon2002Census.htm

And make up the figures based on what you think the catchment area is :pac:

brettmirl wrote: »
    Have a play with this: http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/website/Census2006/CountyKilkennyPopulationProfilebasedon2002Census.htm

And make up the figures based on what you think the catchment area is :pac:

I don't have to bother :)

Obviously companys already think its a viable market.

Now all we need to do is get stupid objections based on another supermarket trying to protect their business thrown out and we'd be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

decision on ALDI over on waterford road was made kilkenny county council gave the go a head let's just hope it not appealed to an bord pleanala, at this rate they'l be 3 aldi's in kilkenny this time next year

decision on ALDI over on waterford road was made kilkenny county council gave the go a head let's just hope it not appealed to an bord pleanala, at this rate they'l be 3 aldi's in kilkenny this time next year

Nothing wrong with that when you consider the amount of Dunnes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=1012 just out walking and see planning notice up on the vacant plot on johnswell road, for planning for discount store with 110 car parking space's, i wonder will it be aldi or lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

linny wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/PlanningDetails.aspx?FileNo=1012 just out walking and see planning notice up on the vacant plot on johnswell road, for planning for discount store with 110 car parking space's, i wonder will it be aldi or lidl

Aldi Id say.

aldi got go ahead from an bord pleanala, to build on hebron road, and are waiting now for decision on the site over beside lidl, council gave go ahead but someone appealed it to an bord pleanala, maybe there looking for site with less hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

could be one supermarket too many when they're open, with 2 dunnes, superquinn, supervalu, lidl eurospar and now aldi . . .

could be one supermarket too many when they're open, with 2 dunnes, superquinn, supervalu, lidl eurospar and now aldi . . .

No fecking way!!! A city of 25,000 should have FAR more choice than KK has. So many people do their shopping in neighbouring Carlow; 2 Aldis and a big tesco.
    FFS Tullow has an Aldi. I think KK can support one or two if the likes of it can ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Carlow and Kilkenny are pretty much equal in size population-wise (Kilkenny has 22,179 and Carlow 20,724), so it's hard to understand why Aldi would take so long coming to KK. It might be the large number of students in Carlow, but I must admit I like the free parking at Tesco, Dunnes and the two Aldis. KK is way overpriced for parking IMO.

• Advertisement

Carlow and Kilkenny are pretty much equal in size population-wise (Kilkenny has 22,179 and Carlow 20,724), so it's hard to understand why Aldi would take so long coming to KK. It might be the large number of students in Carlow, but I must admit I like the free parking at Tesco, Dunnes and the two Aldis. KK is way overpriced for parking IMO.

problem is planning is to strict in kilkenny,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

linny wrote: »
    problem is planning is to strict in kilkenny,
    The supervalu cartel is very strong in Kilkenny.

New Aldi has opened today out the road in Bagenalstown; sure it's practically Kilkenny anyhow :D
    It's down near the Quay, heading out the road to Leighlinbridge. Behind the Credit Union building.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Did you know there are 70 Aldi stores in the ROI and the 13th largest town/city doesn't have one?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

New Aldi has opened today out the road in Bagenalstown; sure it's practically Kilkenny anyhow :D
    It's down near the Quay, heading out the road to Leighlinbridge. Behind the Credit Union building.

I was wondering when that would open.

Did you know there are 70 Aldi stores in the ROI and the 13th largest town/city doesn't have one?

Ditto for Tesco (regardless of what people think of it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ditto for Tesco (regardless of what people think of it)

I may have mentioned this before :rolleyes: but MacDonagh would be far more successful if Tesco (or anything else) went in there instead of Dunnes. I know noone here thinks it's a bit odd :rolleyes:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

I may have mentioned this before :rolleyes: but MacDonagh would be far more successful if Tesco (or anything else) went in there instead of Dunnes. I know noone here thinks it's a bit odd :rolleyes:
    I aggree 100% dunnes in macdonagh is a total disaster tescos would have made soooooooooo much more sense

Following on from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63487672&postcount=79

Decision was due 24th March 2010 now its changed
    Kilkenny County Council

Discount food store, associated signage, landscaping, boundary treatment and site works, 95 no. car parking spaces, 12 bicycle spaces, new access.

Case reference: PL10 .235276

Case type: Planning Appeal

Parties

* Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd. (Applicant)

* Linda Cahill. (Appellant) (Active)
    * RGDATA. (Appellant) (Active)

History

* 10/11/2009: Lodged

Will Callan get an Aldi...tune in on the 15th to find out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kilkennykitten

Please god we do.

Advertisement