Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I transfer ownership of a domain?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I found a domain that I'd like to own which is currently unused by its owner. I've been in contact with him and he is willing to transfer it to me, but as neither of us has done this before, we don't know how to go about it.

Here's some of our conversation:
    me wrote:
    I am mostly new to the details of owning domain names, so I'm not sure how we arrange the domain to change ownership / DNS servers.
    him wrote:
    Don't worry about it. I had to fight with Dot5Hosting about the domain and canceled my account. The domain should be free for use in a month or less.
    me wrote:
    I think domain registration companies try to sell domains at far higher prices
    when a customer subscription runs out, right? Do you not control it anymore?
    him wrote:
    I did not give up control but canceled my hosting and domain service from Dot5Hosting. What this will entail for you. I don't know.

When his subscription for the domain runs out, what will happen? Will it almost immediately be available on for example letshost.ie for me to buy? Or will Dot5Hosting try to sell it to a buyer for a higher price?

Is the best course of action for me to try to deal directly with the current owner of the domain and try to get him to transfer it to me, or should I just wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If it's a .com domain then changing ownership is quite easy. Simply sort out the financial end of it and then request a transfer to your own provider.

If both of you are using the same domain provider there's probably some way to move domains between accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Actually it's a .org.
    blacknight wrote:
    and then request a transfer to your own provider.
    If both of you are using the same domain provider there's probably some way to move domains between accounts.

Erm, who do I request to do that transfer? We do not have the same domain provider. I currently have an account with letshost.ie which I used to buy a domain already. I guess that's my domain provider, and his is Dot5Hosting.

Also, he sounds like he's reluctant to sell, maybe to avoid the hassle, or he's forgotten a password or something, and intends to let it expire. My previous question about ownership/purchase of expired domains is the more interesting one for me.
    me wrote:
    When his subscription for the domain runs out, what will happen? Will it almost immediately be available on for example letshost.ie for me to buy? Or will Dot5Hosting try to sell it to a buyer for a higher price?

Is the best course of action for me to try to deal directly with the current owner of the domain and try to get him to transfer it to me, or should I just wait?

Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

This sort of explains how a domain's life works:
    http://www.icann.org/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

Basically if the domain fully expires anyone can register it, but you should be aware that there are a lot of companies who will try to "snap" attractive names as soon as they become available, so if you can buy the domain prior to expiry you may save yourself hassle

Advertisement