Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Were In a Recession, Change of Car Habits?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Job cuts, companys closing, circa 1987.

Tax changing.

Motor trade gone knockers up.

Petrol prices, circa 1970's (wayyyy before my time, Reeling in the years)

So are you gonna change your motoring habits to suit current economic climate?

I am! trying to do as few unessacary errands as possible by car.

Walking to the shops and not changing cars like i do my socks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I'll cycle to work, use a backpack to walk and carry my groceries. When driving, I'll go easy on the gas, and try and drive at the most fuel-efficient speed, accelerating gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

we should ideally all not leave the house and just claim the dole. we could heat our homes from pieces of used cars that wont sell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm going to get a bike, but that's a laziness (lazyness?!) issue more so than an economic one.

Traffic seems to have gotten worse going to work, so I don't have a lot of say in what speed I go - usually between 45 and 55mph. I worked out the difference between driving to work economically and balls out, there's only about €5 in the difference anyway! (god bless the motronic ems!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I would cycle but......there are a lot of hills in my area:rolleyes:.On the other hand, ive put off gettin my Golf(110TDI SE Hopefully) till the market stablizes.It is looking bad for the car industry, though.I would think UK imports are at an all time high., which is understandable.The Irish market will have to fight back some how...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was going to take the train for a trip planned at the weekend, but the ticket price was €88.50 each -

So in order to save money I am gonna take my car screw that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Less traffic on the roads with people who can't stand the heat.
    Fill car - enjoy the open road at even higher speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was going to take the train for a trip planned at the weekend,

The other half was travelling from Cork to Dublin recently. €59 by train:eek:, or €55 to fly at short notice! €15 of petrol would have done it if she had the car with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Fuel would need to double in price before it would make much difference to be honest.

50L costs the most of €70, that is 600 miles to me, or two weeks travelling. When diesel was €1 a litre it would have cost €50.

That means driving is €10 a week more expensive, which all things considered isn't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Tax changing.

Take better care of your feet. Change those socks more often.
    You do more walking in a recession.
    To the airport/boat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

JHMEG wrote: »
    The other half was travelling from Cork to Dublin recently. €59 by train:eek:, or €55 to fly at short notice! €15 of petrol would have done it if she had the car with her.

Is that €59 euro on the train return?

I drive Sth Dublin to North Cork and back twice a month - costs 22 euro one way
    (filled tank in Dublin, drove briskly but at speed limit and filled again when I arrived in Cork to get that)

so 44 euro return by car for me (05 1.8 petrol mondeo averaging 38mpg on that trip)

I'd take the train but I like the convenience of the car once I get down there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I was going to take the train for a trip planned at the weekend, but the ticket price was €88.50 each -

So in order to save money I am gonna take my car screw that.
    maidhc wrote: »
    Fuel would need to double in price before it would make much difference to be honest.

50L costs the most of €70, that is 600 miles to me, or two weeks travelling. When diesel was €1 a litre it would have cost €50.

That means driving is €10 a week more expensive, which all things considered isn't much.

The above sums it up for me. Fair enough theres a 'Recession' on the way, but if my fuel costs have gone up €10 a week, then i'll drink 2 less pints at the weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I always cycle to college as their is no free parking there (I suppose that's a good thing really). Same with work.

The car is really only a weekend luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Drive a van but also use a motorbike. Recently only use the van when I really need to and never take it into the city ctr. The bike saves me about 50% on fuel costs although the recent weather is off putting :mad:.

Velocitee wrote: »
    Is that €59 euro on the train return?
    No, that's single.:eek:

Her own car will do it one way on about €15 or so.

The only thing that can be said for the train is it can be relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless people stop getting sick my job should be safe enough. Public transport isn't an option for going to work and I intend to buy a car next year with just over 2x the rated horsepower of my current one

Hopelessly optomistic? Probably...

MYOB wrote: »
    Unless people stop getting sick my job should be safe enough.
    If you're a GP, probably, but if you're in the health service I wouldn't be so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're a GP, probably, but if you're in the health service I wouldn't be so sure.

Supplier of essential services to GPs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

I was gonna buy a newish 06-07 avensis/mondeo/passat but have decided to hold onto my cash keep the oul 96 vectra another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Took the wee girl to the playground yesterday. Normally I walk over even when it looks like it might rain, but after all it was Gormless Day (July 1st, 2008) so I decided to take the 5l V8 Porsche. Hadn't driven it for a bit, so I took the very, very long way 'round to warm the engine up properly first and then to let the both of us enjoy the vroom vroom sound of a proper sports car engine at max revs. Global warming because of CO2 emissions? I wish it were true :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

No, that's single.:eek:

Her own car will do it one way on about €15 or so.

The only thing that can be said for the train is it can be relaxing.

Ah yeah - last time I took the train was about 9 months ago from Cork to Dub - it was about that much one way if I remember correctly but it was only 61 euro or so return (unless it's gone up since)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

unkel wrote: »
    ...so I decided to take the 5l V8 Porsche. Hadn't driven it for a bit, so I took the very, very long way 'round to warm the engine up properly first and then to let the both of us enjoy the vroom vroom sound of a proper sports car engine at max revs.

I can almost hear it now, the soothing roar of a sports V8.

Ahhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If you were around Carrick On Shannon, on the May bank holiday, you would be forgiven for thinking its was a boom time. The most amount of new high end sports boats with big petrol inboard engines, that do about 10 mile to the gallon, I've ever seen around Carrick, in thirty odd years of going there.

Never mind the expensive cars towing them all, to and from the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Tax changing.

Am i gonna change my motoring habits?

in a word no!

That said ive yet to feel any ill effects of this recession we keep getting told about

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

WHITE_P wrote: »
    If you were around Carrick On Shannon, on the May bank holiday, you would be forgiven for thinking its was a boom time. The most amount of new high end sports boats with big petrol inboard engines, that do about 10 mile to the gallon, I've ever seen around Carrick, in thirty odd years of going there.

Never mind the expensive cars towing them all, to and from the water.

To be honest, 10mpg for those boats would be impressive! They're not designed to go slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The wont be much change on my ship. Im more likely to shop around for a better price on petrol tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

WHITE_P wrote: »
    If you were around Carrick On Shannon, on the May bank holiday, you would be forgiven for thinking its was a boom time.

I'll forgive you becuase 99% of those people you saw were there for the weekend, Carrick is another example of the 2nd home lifestyle people lead. The west in general has survived off property and a few cattle over the few years, now the sh1t will hit the fan and their will be buses (cause they can't afford Ryanair) to take their young people the heck out of there to places like exotic London and Bristol, and they will read Ireland's own and miss tea and scones with Granny in the good ol' days of the 1990's and reminsice on things like Dustin and the Den.

10MPG for a boat is good, I was on a boat in the USA that did 2MPG and another that did 3GPM (Gallons per Mile). Racing boat special fuel too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

unkel wrote: »
    Took the wee girl to the playground yesterday. Normally I walk over even when it looks like it might rain, but after all it was Gormless Day (July 1st, 2008) so I decided to take the 5l V8 Porsche. Hadn't driven it for a bit, so I took the very, very long way 'round to warm the engine up properly first and then to let the both of us enjoy the vroom vroom sound of a proper sports car engine at max revs. Global warming because of CO2 emissions? I wish it were true :)

You are my new hero.

Its a 928 I presume, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

My mate just bought a 2005 M5. He filled it up and it cost 75euro. On the computer it said that there was 220 miles to empty! I thought that was funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What I did was sell a 1.8 Volvo that does up to 65 mpg when driven carefully and buy a 2.0 5 series that does no more than 35 mpg:D.

And judging by the comments about all the people slowing down it'll be doing even less mpg because I hate slow f****ers who dawdle when I'm driving and don't show consideration for other road users by nit driving at the speed limit when safe to do so.

Advertisement