Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new monitor, please recommend.

Options
  • 02-07-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

My CRT monitor is nearly 10 years old. Its still pretty good. But I want to start playing HD stuff soon.

So I'm after Min 24" Widescreen, native resolution around 1920X1080 (for HD). Must have quick response time (<5ms) for gaming this is why its taken me so long to switch to LCD.

Don't worry about the money, have the rig to run it and if there is anything coming out in the next few months could you let me know.

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Lads is what I'm looking for even out there. I'm having a hard time finding anything with the specs i'm after. Are the specs too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

You'll be hard pressed to find a monitor with less than 5ms(seems to be the standard) for less than an extortionate price.
    saying that, Komplett have a 24" with 2ms response for €399
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339846

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i really love the samsung 22" 226bw monitors. I believe teh 225 version are just as good. Images are so clear and with high res and 2ms. I think they retail around 300 on Pixmania. Got mine for 280 at a steal and delivery was under 20euro=)

I wanted a 24" but ended up going for the 22" samsung (as loads of gamers recommended it) and glad i did as the screen is more than big enough. I need to move it a good bit away from my eyes as it gets difficult to see up close cause of the size.

anyway my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There is only one choice to get and thats the dell :

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=147262

A pretty decent price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=21895&agid=367

Just an idea, reviews look pretty decent and it's half the price of the dell with 2ms response time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

24" for 260 euro.

I was skeptical, bought one and love it - great crisp picture, and the PC is more or less solely for movies/games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Anti wrote: »
    There is only one choice to get and thats the dell :

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=147262

A pretty decent price too.

I don't care how much you're into games, I could NEVER justify spending over €800 on a 24" screen! Just buy a 37" HD TV for the same price at komplett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have this and love it. It's a TN panel, they have a limited amount of colours and haven't a great viewing angle, but its one of the best quality tn panels on the market. The limited viewing angle doesn't really bother me at all as i just use it for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The Dell 2408WFP is a fantastic monitor....though i'm a little biased:D. If your budget can't stretch that far ,however, then the 2407WFP-HC is almost just as good and they can be picked up relatively cheaply from the likes of Adverts.ie.

PS..i'll be selling off my old 2407WFP-HC soon;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have the dell 24inch and it's brill, highly recommend it

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advise lads. I looked up reviews on the dell monitor and its the bees knees alright. So I've ordered it and can't wait to hook it up.

Another question, would it be worth calibrating this monitor considering how much money I spent on it and would I really notice the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Thanks for the advise lads. I looked up reviews on the dell monitor and its the bees knees alright. So I've ordered it and can't wait to hook it up.

Another question, would it be worth calibrating this monitor considering how much money I spent on it and would I really notice the difference?

I hope you didn't get the 24" becuase the 27" is going special this week with over 200 euro off.

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=170551

600 euro I'm tempted , wonder what i'd get for my 24 inch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

If you really want a big screen then I'd advise you to just go and buy a HD telly since they can all connect to PCs via HDMI with the right graphics card.

There's a 32" 720p Telly on Komplett for €557 now so I'd recommend that as you won't notice a difference between that and 1080p. Don't go bigger than that though as it'll hurt your eyes (I know because I plugged my PC into my 42" 1080p TV)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

C14N wrote: »
    If you really want a big screen then I'd advise you to just go and buy a HD telly since they can all connect to PCs via HDMI with the right graphics card.

There's a 32" 720p Telly on Komplett for €557 now so I'd recommend that as you won't notice a difference between that and 1080p. Don't go bigger than that though as it'll hurt your eyes (I know because I plugged my PC into my 42" 1080p TV)
    You could do that but most people go with a monitor over a tv because the monitor has a much higher resolution. This means it has a much crisper image. The difference between the image on a 42" tv and a 22" monitor is no comparison.

Well lads.
    Got the 24" ultra sharp dell cause I didn't see the 27" in time(Doh). But I don't mind too much.

Anyway the monitor itself is just phenomenal. The detail, brightness and clarity are amazing. Was runnnig Crysis with everything turned upto high at 1920X1200 OMG:eek:, this is the way the game should almost look (Its running on XP not Vista).

Had a few mates who have high end stuff aswell look at it and they were blown away too. There seriously looking at the 27".

Also lads I have no problem spending 800euro on a monitor. Theres noway I'd buy a HDTV just for the PC its not the same. The detail is not as good. Anyway when my house is done next year I'll be spending E2000 easy on a 42" because there really is a difference in TVs too. I'm really into my quality over price (without going overboard).

Synopsis: DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP AMAZING!!.

Okay well not to waste a thread I'm also looking for a monitor because I'm getting a new PC. The budget isn't too big but I was looking at an LG Wide 42" monitor. That's about as much as I'm going to spend so can anyone tell me if that's a good choice? I'll also be playing games like Crysis and Call of Duty 4 btw so I want it to be pretty good.

It seems to do the job, it's LG, only 2ms response time, 1080p and 10,000:1 aspect ratio. I just think something must be wrong because it's so much cheaper than seemingly worse 24" monitors

Help please?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I just bought this Dabs monitor for 260

Everybody says the same thing, for the price you can't go wrong.

thats a great price alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Is that Dabs monitor

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=50C4&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=24%22&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

the same as this?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-026-OK&tool=3

Thinking of buying, seems like a great deal. But I read about some of them being TN screens as opposed to PVA so just wanna check. The clue is in the viewing angles but I cant see any listed on the Dabs site...

Yup, same monitor.

Although after my recent hassles with overclockers i will no longer suggest anyone buying one.

If a company of their size can not fulfill customer orders... 3 times in a row they need to close their operations. ****ing bunch of twats.

Damn this thread.........i've just been compelled to order a Dell 27" monitor! My old 2407WFT-HC and a brand new 2408WFP will be up for grabs asap...keep your eye on Adverts:eek::D

We are still waiting for pics of your rig which have never appeared.

I posted pics ;)......look again :p:D
    Building a new one at the moment with Asus P5E3 Deluxe mobo,overclocked QX9650,8GB of DDR3,2x Veliciraptors,and 3x 160GB Raptors,1KW Psu, LG Bluray drive and am hoping to get 2x ATi 4870X2 in time, but at present am running a 3870X2

Advertisement