Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Depot becomes O2 Arena

Options
  • 02-07-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just heard on the radio that when the point depot reopens after the refurbishment it is to be called the O2 Arena. What do you think of this?

Also apparently as part of the deal with O2, O2 mobile customers will have first preference on purchasing tickets and will be put into a 'swift-pass' style line at concerts as having well as access to the arenas 'O2 bars'

Is this a bit slightly unfair???? I haven't seen the designs for the new arena- anyone know where they are on the web?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Surely that is not true?

If it is, it is a bag of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Well this isn't really a surprise to me if it's true, Livenation own the Point now, so they do what they do, the preferential treatment for O2 customers would be taking it too far though.......just a little odd.....

There's an Artists impression in a "Point" thread either in this section or the "Rock & Metal" section with some good information from someone that was involved in the initial work for the venue........or just do a search in Google for Point Village and you should be able to see a little detail on it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Timans wrote: »
    Surely that is not true?

If it is, it is a bag of ****.

Yeah, I heard the same interview on Matt Cooper this evening.. Thought it was mad too that the O2 customers have 48 hours advantage to book tickets for gigs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Crap name - 'The O2' to be exact.

http://www.theo2.ie/ - that's their website, has some design images.
    It’s what Irish music lovers have been waiting for. A stunning, new, state-of-the-art entertainment venue, with the kind of world-class acoustics that great music deserves. And the top artists will come to The O2, which will be one of the most advanced arenas in the world.

The atmosphere promises to be electric, every time, for everyone. No wonder music lovers can’t wait. Even better, we’re more excited to tell O2 customers, that you and your friends will enjoy some nice extras. Imagine, you’ll have access to your own bar and facilities, as well as priority tickets to plenty of gigs.

Register today to be eligible for priority tickets and some more privileges to come, exclusively for O2 customers.

The O2. The news is out.

Priority for O2 customers is absolutely ridiculous. I mean WTF? Your mobile phone network shouldn't have any affect on a concert you attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Identical setup to The O2 arena in London, o2 customers actually got a special presale code for tickets to the Prince gigs.

Guess I'm sticking to O2 for a while then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bryston

Jello wrote: »
    http://www.theo2.ie/ - that's their website, has some design images.

Press the "Take a Tour" button on the bottom RHS of the page.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Looks like any other generic concert venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

The days of an acts biggest fans queueing out over night really are over. Now its every musician who plays in that arena is just a shill for a phone network.

Obviously corporate sponsorship killed the spirit of rock and roll and musicians as artists a long time ago...but this just depresses me in my face a little more

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Mneh, theyve a load of o2 arenas all voer the world.
    Might mean a bit more higher caliber of artists now...rather than the standard two week Westlife stint that we've all become accustomed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 escapeact

this would make me pretty angry, if Apple hadn't already suckered me into an O2 contract for me iPhone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

O2 customers having priority is a disgrace.
    Surely this isn't going to happen!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

jayhaitch2 wrote: »
    The days of an acts biggest fans queueing out over night really are over. Now its every musician who plays in that arena is just a shill for a phone network.

Nowadays an acts biggest fans are usually members of the online fan club of said act, and most acts already give out pre-sale passwords to said fans so they can buy tickets a few days before general sale.

Unfortunately, more and more venues are sponsored by a major corporation, it's just the way it is: "staple centre, hershey bowl, reebok stadium, emirates stadium, O2 arena".

Why else would O2 put money into the place if they weren't going to get something back from it? Its business, and its the way of the world i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

The name is annoying enough, but for 02 customers to have priority is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe this would be allowed to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Any ideas as to when its reopening??

Glad im on 02 then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The Walsho wrote: »
    The name is annoying enough, but for 02 customers to have priority is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe this would be allowed to go ahead.

Don't like it? Switch networks! It's that simple! :D
    VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Pretty boring and uninspired name considering there's already an O2 Arena in London, Prague and (soon) Berlin. "The Point" was a great name, t'will be sorely missed.

However those artists' impressions do look rather appetising. Here's hoping the venue will sound as good as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Can someone change the title, it's call The O2 not O2 Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

The o2 subscriber thing is crap anyway. There must be over a million o2 customers anyway so what real advantage would you have when something really popular comes to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Can someone change the title, it's call The O2 not O2 Arena.
    I think it's actually called the O2 Venue, to differenctiate between the actually O2 Arena. Still a crap name and I'll be calling it The Point for a long while yet (hell I managed to never call RT2 Network 2 long enough for it to be changed back, so it might happen here too :D ).

Pretty sure it's called 'The O2'.

Whats in a name anyhow, The Point Theater and The Point Depot were interchangeable. Once the sound is better, which lets face it couldn't be hard it's a win win situation.

They can call it 'I'm Harry Crosbie and I think the sun shines out of my arse arena' for all I care :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

The Walsho wrote: »

maybe so but i wonder how many people will port or sign-up to O2 mobile network just so they can get their tickets 48hrs earlier. think about it. from a business point of view it make great sense.

btw my brother (man utd supporter) actually switched from O2 to Vodafone (when vodafone sponsored utd). when vodafone stopped sponsoring utd he switched back to O2. sounds crazy but some people will love it. personally i am not worried even though i am actually thinking of porting from meteor to O2 next month. hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I actually switched from Vodafone to O2 soon after they started sponsoring Man U though I didn't bother to do so until my old mobile died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Pretty sure it's called 'The O2'.
    To-mayto To-maato

Just to clear up the ticket priority, it's 15% of the tickets available for O2 customers for 48 hours.

New configuration

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭SQ2

You can buy an O2 pay as you go sim for €10 anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Savman wrote: »
    To-mayto To-maato
    O-2, O-tout

I would imagine it will be only bill paying customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

There's nothing on the site that says pay as you go are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

New configuration

It's big - I wonder what the views will be like from the back rows, seems pretty far away from the stage (although probably no worse than being at the back in an outdoor venue & at least there should be no obstructions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

It was going to be called the O2 Arena up until a while before the announcement then O2 UK said no to it.

O2 customers having a priority is a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement