Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Point Depot becomes O2 Arena

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

what i find slightly humourous are their "vip clubs" where you pay 1500euro for not a lot. i'd at least expect free parking/food/bev's but for what you pay, you get very little (private entrance? "personal service"? the ability to buy tickets even if it's sold out?) obviously aimed at those who are just there to be seen but it's still extortionate in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Clank wrote: »
    O2 customers having a priority is a joke.
    The Point Depot as a venue was a joke. It was a converted warehouse with the worst sound imaginable. Sure o2 are throwing their corporate oar in here, but it's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things, that finally Dublin has a purpose built concert arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mr.S wrote: »
    apart from the sound issues, i thought it was a class venue, it had a great look to it, and even the sound wasnt THAT bad..
    Well to each their own I guess. I'd been there many times, it really was hit and miss. I've been to the o2 Arena in London and it's quite classy, I expect the new Point/o2 in Dublin will be along the same lines.

In the old Point, its location was a bloody nightmare and once the Luas extension is finished the new venue will be a really nice place to see a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Transport to the venue would be good. I will reserve judgement until I attend an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kdpis

JJ wrote: »
    I actually switched from Vodafone to O2 soon after they started sponsoring Man U though I didn't bother to do so until my old mobile died.

Ha Ha, thats so funny, Im the same never used Vodafone because of those United tossers.

Is the arena always going to be fully seated?

This would be ok for the likes of Westlife, Madonna and the poppy end of things but an all seated gig would completely kill the atmosphere at a Metallica, Green Day or Muse gig or any self respecting rock band for that matter.

I enjoyed quite a few gigs in The Point thought it had a great atmosphere when it was a full house, a nightmare of a place when there wasn`t though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Only 5months to wait Mossy.......
    due to open on 8th December (assuming there's anything decent/you'd be interested on there at the time...)

there's some bogus Iron Maiden dates going around - would have been nice, two nights there Dec 11th & 13th, but as I thought when first seeing them the dates just don't make any sense......don't know what big acts will still be out on the road in Dec.......hopefully dates start getting filled soon and some more info on the venue gets distributed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kdpis wrote: »
    Other posts in this thread indicate the seating layout and a standing layout.

I would fully expect some Coldplay dates on December 20th, 21st, 22nd or 23rd. It's really a no brainer if the venue is complete.

A couple of low key test events prior to that, possibly for O2 staff only.

Here is how the priority works in the O2 Arena in London, presume it will be the same here.
    * Venue: The O2
    * Artist: Barry Manilow
    * Event Date: Sunday 7 December 2008
    * Offer Period: 9am Wednesday 9 July until 8am Sunday 13 July 2008
    * Key Word: BARRY
    * Maximum Ticket Number (per transaction): 6
    * Total Tickets Available: 2000 per event

1. O2's priority ticket offer is open to anyone who is an O2 UK customer on the day before the Offer Period commences.
    2. All O2 customers who text the relevant Key Word to 2402 prior to or during the Offer Period, will receive a unique password that may only be used once, and a URL that directs them to the Ticketmaster promotions page. This URL and password provides the recipient with the chance to purchase tickets online during the "Offer Period". Capacity restrictions may apply during busy periods. Texts sent to 2402 are charged at standard network rates.
    3. Instead of sending a text and purchasing tickets online, customers can also call 2402 from their O2 mobile in the United Kingdom. Customers calling 2402 will be connected to a dedicated Ticketmaster line for The O2 which provides the recipient with the chance to purchase tickets by phone during the Offer Period. Capacity restrictions may apply during busy periods. Calls to 2402 are charged at standard rate.
    4. Standard Ticketmaster purchase policy applies to all ticket purchases*.
    5. The Offer Period may coincide with the general public sale of tickets. However, tickets will be reserved from the general sale as O2 priority tickets, as set out in these terms and conditions. There are a limited number of these offer tickets available and the offer runs during the Offer Period or until the O2 ticket allocation is sold out. The tickets and specific dates will be allocated on a 'first come first served' basis. Customers may also attempt to purchase tickets through the general public allocation, if desired.
    6. O2's priority ticket offer does not guarantee access to the best seats. O2 is allocated a broad range of seats for each event and when booking tickets, customers have the option to choose where to sit from the range of seats available.
    7. Ticket purchases may be refused or cancelled if more than the Maximum Ticket Number are requested; the ticket allocation is sold out; if the person attempting to purchase tickets does so outside of the Offer Period; or if O2 or Ticketmaster reasonably believe that the purpose of the purchase is to enable commercial re-sale of the tickets.
    8. O2 accepts no responsibility for incorrectly completed, lost or delayed text responses or delayed, incomplete or unprocessed online or phone purchase transactions.
    9. For the purpose of administering the priority ticket allocation, O2 reserves the right to exchange information and data regarding applications for unique passwords with Ticketmaster. O2 and Ticketmaster's decision as to ticket allocations is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
    10. Entrance to concerts is subject to the standard conditions of entry to The O2, which can be viewed online at http://www.theo2.co.uk/web/guest/termsandconditions.
    11. Events may occasionally be cancelled after publication of a priority ticket offer for reasons outside O2's control. O2 will endeavour to promptly update any relevant information but can not issue refunds for texts sent or calls made by customers before this occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gobbledegook

To annoy O2 let's all just keep calling it The Point Depot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

kdpis wrote: »

The tiered seats at the bottom retract to open up the floor. I don't know if the floor is as big as it was before, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bryston

humanji wrote: »
    The tiered seats at the bottom retract to open up the floor. I don't know if the floor is as big as it was before, though.

I think the standing area will be slightly smaller than before but everything has been turned 90 degrees so it's hard to make a direct comparison.

Imagine standing in the old Point with the stage along the long wall but with alot more tiered seating surrounding the flat floor area. The tiered seating will also have a much steaper rake than before so everyone feels closer to the stage.

Now they are building residential apartments next door, they have had to consider sound insulation as it was never an issue before. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

It'll always be the Point Depot to everyone though, I don't think anyone will start calling it the o2 Arena :rolleyes:
    when I seen it in the paper I thought 'ohhh! a new arena!?'

I thought Christy Moore would be the first act to play at the reopened point, with his two live recordings there- and the fact he's played it more than anybody else.

"Hows it goin' everybody,
    you're very welcome to the o2 areeeena..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PrivateEye wrote: »
    It'll always be the Point Depot to everyone though

I always thought of it as a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I switched networks from O2 last week but still have my 086 number. Will I still be able to buy tickets with this I wonder?

None of the pics show the skyscraper going next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

To annoy O2 let's all just keep calling it The Point Depot

I think the Meteor/Vodafone could work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mr.S wrote: »
    apart from the sound issues, i thought it was a class venue, it had a great look to it, and even the sound wasnt THAT bad..
    I hate(d) the point too, as did the majority of my mates. I was delighted when it closed, since I used to get so pissed off seeing adverts for bands I liked who were playing, only to then see it was for the point. We sort of just boycotted the point as a venue in the end.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

counting crows are playing in the o2 in december.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All i have to say is that it looks fecking fantastic!! Can't wait to see it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

The Walsho wrote: »
    I think the Meteor/Vodafone could work too.

That gave me a chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

Well if O2 are sponsoring it, then of course there going to want a few perks, like advance tickets and the such, and if you're on o2, then good luck to you, I'm more annoyed that they couldn't come up with a better name. The O2. Just lacks marketing originality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

The whole thing makes me laugh; we now have some overblown arena thrown into the docklands, it will be heralded as a magnet for big name acts who didn’t have enough chairs to stick arse’s into before to warrant the trip here, they’ll play in front of Andrew Lloyd Webber style stage setups while 14,000 people record them on their 02 brand phone’s camera function and think "this is savage".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

and there i was hoping for the day when camera phones would be banned from use during performances.....

hate those stupid bloody phones!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I wholeheartedly agree. No one wants to see you wave your phone in the air or see your crap video on your phone of a bunch of blury lights. Why not just watch the gig wtih your own eyes and record it to your memory. Now there's a novel idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Ah I'm sure people will still refer to it as the Point considering it makes up part of the Point Village

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Other posts in this thread indicate the seating layout and a standing layout.

I would fully expect some Coldplay dates on December 20th, 21st, 22nd or 23rd. It's really a no brainer if the venue is complete.

A couple of low key test events prior to that, possibly for O2 staff only.
    Oh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bryston

Just read this on the website.

"And it’s bigger – much much bigger. 13,000 seats of screaming fans blasted with one of the Worlds best acoustic systems."

http://www.o2blueroom.ie/TheO2.aspx

Um, not the most subtle way to brag about the new venues sound and acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

No MCD chat guys, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

humanji wrote: »
    I think it's actually called the O2 Venue, to differenctiate between the actually O2 Arena. Still a crap name and I'll be calling it The Point for a long while yet (hell I managed to never call RT2 Network 2 long enough for it to be changed back, so it might happen here too :D ).

it will be like the Button Factory, i still call it Temple Bar Music Centre cos its a better name etcetc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol, I didn't even know the Temple Bar Music Centre had changed it's name :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

This thread is gonna become overrun with MCD stuff and lead to lots of bannings. To prevent this I'm gonna lock the thread..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement