Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

driving while disqualified

• 02-07-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hello,
    i'm going to try posting this thread here.
    my boyfriend was recently drink driving disqualified for 2 years.
    he has
    acquired a false licence and continues to drivesaying that he won't be caught because he stays inside the speed limits and his car is taxed and insured until next year.

i have looked on the internet and seen that others have been caught driving while banned and gone to prison.

how can i persuade him that this is stupid.

why is there no database where all disqualified drivers are registered, as his attitude is 'if no one knows, then no one can find out'.

i'm not looking for legal advice, i just want to know if there is some process in place where the Guards call to disqualified drivers to ensure they are off the road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Lock lock lock lock... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rebecca m

what does that mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Its like what happened the same thread over on Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rebecca m

thanks. i'm just looking to present the facts to him but it's hard to find any argument he hasnt already covered

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rebecca m wrote: »
    thanks. i'm just looking to present the facts to him but it's hard to find any argument he hasnt already covered

How about a gift certificate for your local solicitor?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Basically if it was a local cop that caught him the first time chances are the same cop may see him driving again.

Not only will he get done for driving while disqualified he will get done for the forged documents (lisence) aswell so it will be another charge to his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And add on a no insurance charge as any insurance policy would be voided by the disqualification.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

First of all the obligatory "this is not a legal advice forum" remark.

Second, what do you expect anyone to say to this? Your boyfriend is an idiot and if caught should not expect a Judge to feel sorry for him.

Prison is a possiblilty. An even longer ban is also another.

If everything you've already said to him coupled with what you will no doubt now say to him doesn't change his mind, nothing will.

Guy sounds like a loser if you ask me, I'm sorry to say.

I was going to lock this thread but I think I'll leave it open for now, maybe the more people reply, the more he will take notice when you inevitably show this thread to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Well, If he carries his insurance and tax with him at all times he might be ok.
    It's possible he could get away with it. He MIGHT still be insured under the EU directive but his insurance company could sue him. Then there is the amending the licence. If there was a way he could avoid giving the gardai the dodgy licence then he would just face a further disqualification although dont neglect to produce or he is deadmeat.

That could be a serious issue. You boyfriend isnt such a loser, he can seek restoration of his licence after one year.

If he has been driving and hasn't had any incidents then that might be a factor in his favour.* * oops sarcasm*

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/driving_offences

• Registered Users Posts: 22 irishwizz

I must say he is really been silly, yes he is a loser! I am aware of a friend who is disqualified and is currently driving on a UK license but is hoping he can trick the guards using a false name, is very silly thing for anyone to do.

He will get locked up for driving while disqualified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

To echo what Max and others are saying - your other half is looking at serious trouble if he's hauled up in front of a court.

It's not *just* the offences he'll be charged with if it came down to it, but how the judge would view the import of the offences. Being put off the road is an order of the court, and ignoring that is showing contempt of the Court and, by extension, contempt for the Judge; it's two fingers to the authority the Judge holds.

On a purely 'mechanical' level, if somebody is up in court for an charge and their solicitor reckons there's *no* defending it, the advice will tend to be (but your mileage may vary) that pleading guilty is the sensible course of action. In return for this, a judge will allow a solicitor (or the accused) to speak in mitigation...in other words, to say a few 'good things' about themselves which might lessen the penalty.

ask your boyfriend exactly *what* he thinks he'd be able to say, when he has to face judge 'mano a mano', and the judge wants to seriously get potentially rather medieval on his ass...

Now playing: Duffy - Serious
    via FoxyTunes

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement