Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefit entitlements while setting up a business?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm in the process of setting up a business, it's still early days, and currently there's zero income on it (it's still in the R&D phase). I finished up in a job around new years, and decided to have a crack at an idea I've had for a while, getting it running as a venture.

Thus far I haven't investigated any possibility of claiming benefit, mostly through ignorance I guess, but also because I've been working under the assumption that you can really only get benefit if you're unemployed and seeking work..

..but what if you're unemployed but trying to get set out on your own? Would it be fair/right to apply for Job Seeker's benefit while not really intending to get any work? Or is there some other benefit I should be considering? I'm just wondering what the 'norm' is in this kind of situation.

Thanks for any advice/help.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Found this on citizensinformation.ie
    Self-employed people do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit. They can however qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Thanks Shooter, that looks more relevant to my case..

I wonder what "You have registered for work with FÁS if you are of working age " means, though? Like, do I have to go 'work' at FAS or something to qualify, and what does that entail? I'm pretty busy as it is! :eek:

Yea I seen that too. I guess that wouldn't apply in your case. I think most cases for supplementary welfare are those waiting for their benefit to come through as it takes weeks and they simply repay it when they get their lump sum.

The best place to ask would probably be your community center but be warned if you don't like going into social welfare offices a community center can be pretty daunting. I'd suggest going early!

If you prefer you could go to citizens advice first or even social welfare and check with them before hand.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yea I seen that too. I guess that wouldn't apply in your case. I think most cases for supplementary welfare are those waiting for their benefit to come through as it takes weeks and they simply repay it when they get their lump sum.

The best place to ask would probably be your community center but be warned if you don't like going into social welfare offices a community center can be pretty daunting. I'd suggest going early!

If you prefer you could go to citizens advice first or even social welfare and check with them before hand.

Thanks for your advice...though, is there anything I should know about before going to my local HSE place? :confused: They can be daunting in what way..?

Thanks again. At least I know what track I should be on :)

Sorry I didnt mean it to be scary :) It's just (from my experience) community centers tend to be small buildings understaffed and therefore pretty crowded and hectic.

I'm not sure what info you need other than I'd assume the usual stuff for applying for benefit i.e IDx2 P45 Bank account details. Not sure if they ask about you're venture etc..

I'd suggest goint to citizens advice first though as you could get yourself more prepared to handle and issues.
    That's a rule I always follow for eg. If you want a mortgage you don't go directly to company you want it off. You go to someone else that knows the questions, in that case another mortgage company, and ask for one there. They go over it with you and point out any problems you might have. You fix those problems and then go to the company you want it from knowing the answers to the questions before they ask them. Makes you look more organized and assured :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll probably take your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

I'm in the same boat really. I was made redundant at the end of May, so I qualified for full unemployment benefit on account of my earnings for the previous few years. I've set up my own business too, though I have yet to trade. I think it's fair to say that you're doing everything possible to secure a means of income, so until then, I don't see why you should feel guilty about getting the dole.

Advertisement