Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with HR/power/etc

Options
  • 02-07-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

So I'm curious as to what, if anything people use when training. Heart rate monitor, power meter etc.

I use my gps with heart rate monitor but considering a power meter for next year

What do you use to aid your training (select all the ones you use) 46 votes

Basic cycle computer (time/distance/speed)
    0% 0 votes
    Heart Rate Monitor
    32% 15 votes
    Power Meter
    36% 17 votes
    Post training analysis on computer
    4% 2 votes
    Nothing
    26% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

By power meter do you mean wattage?

I hear its the best way of working out how much effort is actually going into the bike.

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

72hundred wrote: »
    By power meter do you mean wattage

Yea. There are a couple of power meters on the market, and I think all pros and many serious amateurs use them to train now(or so I have heard).

An interesting development is that the "cheaper" power meter , the PowerTap are going to be compatible with ANT+Sport protocol from next year and so will work with the new Garmin 705. So you could have gps, altimeter, heart rate and power all on the one computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

At the start of this year I did a lot of HR based training, but I found it incredibly boring. I just don't have the patience for it. I think I prefer to judge based on how I feel during and after. It's not quite perceived effort, but perhaps it's a similar principle. If I was serious about racing, then I'd probably find a power meter useful, but I'm not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i would love an SRM or a power tap but i cant afford one :(

I may purchase a Polar 6000 in the near future which comes with a power metre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Power meters are pretty expensive and usually involve integration with some part of the bike, e.g. Power Taps are in the rear hub while SRM goes in the cranks.
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Yea. There are a couple of power meters on the market, and I think all pros and many serious amateurs use them to train now(or so I have heard).

A lot do alright, but some still don't. I remember Bettini saying a while back that he didn't bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

http://www.biketechreview.com/archive/pm_review.htm

If you ever needed to more about power meters!!!

Some lovely equations in there for all the maths geeks :confused:!

72oo

Advertisement