Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating and dreaming

Options
  • 02-07-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else found that what they eat before they sleep has an effect on their dreams?

I've conducted some self-inflicted (!) research on this and have found that if I eat dak chocolate as the last thing I have before bed, my dreams are all surreal and evil nightmares.
    Cheese and other dairy products give me happy dreams and meat produces weird "trip-like" ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭the_follwer

hahaha lol sorry just had to giggle. no wonder i been having nightmares. i made a huge chocolate cake and choc sauce and had to eat it all myself *my son oddly didnt like it due to too much chocolate*.
    i heard that eating pork gives very strange dreams,due to the fat or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Lol I have been eating pork recently too, might explain the weirdness lately...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I can remember about a slice of pizza that chased me all night after eating a late snack.

I can remember about a slice of pizza that chased me all night after eating a late snack.

Did you ever watch Young Sherlock Holmes? Scary cream cakes coming to life only to try stuff themselves down fat kids mouths...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

i'm going to get some dark chocolate for tomorrow nite to try this out op!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Did you ever watch Young Sherlock Holmes? Scary cream cakes coming to life only to try stuff themselves down fat kids mouths...
    No, never caught on to that series. Do have about 22 of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes mini-films by Granada Productions.

I don't typically dream about desserts, cause I never developed a liking for them (except chocolate dipped fresh strawberries). Nor do I have overweight fear inspired dreams. Quite to the contrary, I've had just the opposite related to starvation, probably inspired by my GP trying to get me to add a stone, bugging me all the time about being underweight for my height.

i'm going to get some dark chocolate for tomorrow nite to try this out op!

Did it work?? I had blueberry and vanilla cream pie from M&S last night, had horrible dreams. Maybe it's the sugar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

no didn't work.perhaps i should've eaten it right before going to sleep?i'm willing to try it again in the name of 'research'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

ive never had food affect me at night time.as i view dreams as reflections of how we feel ect id look on the night mares as simple dreams and eating the food part coincidence, part in the mind as a preconcieved idea about certain foods.
    i dunno,maybe there is a connection with chemicals in certain food triggering something in the mind,but would have to think this only be true if the were NO preconcieved ideas of food causing nightmares. i wonder if the person getting the nightmares could somehow have the idea planted in there head that they DIDNT cause nightmares and test the theory that way,if they dont get the nightmares anymore then you would know it was just preconcieved in the mind.

Advertisement