Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12meg broadband is only 8meg trough router?

Options
  • 02-07-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

i have 12meg broadband and i have tested this without the router on speedtest.net and it regsiters as 12megs. but for some reason when its on wireless(always) i only get 8... any ideas? i restored factory settings to no avail..

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cartman wrote: »
    i have 12meg broadband and i have tested this without the router on speedtest.net and it regsiters as 12megs. but for some reason when its on wireless(always) i only get 8... any ideas? i restored factory settings to no avail..

cheers

You will nearly always lose speed when using wireless. Is it a 'b' or 'g' wireless set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

it is a g setup, ya i thought you might lose a bit but not 4meg... it seems a bit much for a g setup

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Im having the same issue. Im only getting 13Mb from my 20Mb line over wireless connection. However when I hook the PC directly to the modem I get the full 20Mb. Does anyone know if I change the wireless router or wireless usb adapter will I see speed improvements?

I think the increasing bb speeds are going to show up the frailty of wireless systems - the supposed throughput of 54 is nowhere near that in reality - just read reviews of any group of routers and see how they vary.

However there does seem to be a lot of loss in both of these cases. Could there be any wireless networks near you affecting your performance?

Ye when I do a search for wireless networks there is one other network in particular that shows a strong signal. Usually 40 - 50 %. But I changed the wireless channel on my router to be 5 channels below that routers channel. I thought that was suppose to counter any interference :confused:

• Advertisement

How far are you from the router? Has the signal to go through floors walls etc? Although they are not generally a problem what about nearby wireless phones?

Ye the router is downstairs and one room over so the signal does have to go through walls. no wireless phones in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Temporarily disable encryption to see how much this affects your speed.

Ok I disabled security settings and it made no difference.

wired to the router I am getting a speed of 2.1 MB/s when downloading this file

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/7.0/7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

downloading wireless I am getting a speed of 1.1 MB/s

The strange thing is that if I download the file over wireless twice at the same time I get a download speed of about 850 kb/s on each download :confused:

I have also tried a Linksys WRT54GS router and I am getting the exact same results as the with the netgear router.

Advertisement